PDA

View Full Version : Showers Pass Jackets?

xjoex
03-01-2008, 01:11 PM
So it rains here constantly. I am thinking of getting one of the showers pass elite 2.0 jackets as I have read pretty positive reviews.

It'll be used on my daily commute which I wear bike clothes for and then on rainy road and mtn rides.

Does anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks,
-Joe

goonster
03-01-2008, 01:35 PM
I wore one on PBP.

Other than a suit, it's probably the most expensive piece of clothing I've ever bought. It was worth its weight in gold.

When others stopped to add or shed layers, as the rain came and went, or day turned to night, etc., I simply opened and closed vents.

My only complaint would be a lack of different colors. This jacket has no peers, atmo, save for the top-of-the-line Burley which is no longer made.

Showers Pass FTW.

weaponsgrade
03-01-2008, 01:36 PM
They're pretty nice. Lots of well-thought out details like big cuffs with velcro straps, pit zips, roomy back pocket, taped seams. I've found the fabric to breathe very well. I haven't tested in a big downpour, but I've used it through some light sprinkles and stayed dry. My only issue is that it feels a tad tight around the pits for me - and I'm not a weight lifting type, but a little baggy in the arms. I feel fine when I'm on the bike and it's over a bike jersey, but I can't see myself wearing this as an off the bike jacket underneath looser fitting street clothes.

bigbill
03-01-2008, 01:41 PM
I have one that I wear on my PNW commute. It keeps me warm and dry without creating an ecosystem inside the jacket. The waterproof zipper takes two hands so on the bike zipping is can be a little tricky. Lots of nice detail touches like a drawstring waist, iPod pocket (I keep my cell phone in it), and it washes well.

If your commute is like mine with mid 30's in the morning and upper 40's in the afternoon, you may find it a little warm in the afternoon especially if you have some longer climbs. It folds up relatively small, but not as small as silmond type (standard bright yellow) cycling jacket. It would definately stretch a jersey pocket. I have panniers, so no big deal for me.

Ken Robb
03-01-2008, 02:14 PM
[QUOTE=xjoex]So it rains here constantly. I am thinking of getting one of the showers pass elite 2.0 jackets as I have read pretty positive reviews.

LIAR: sometimes it snows. :)

Alan
03-01-2008, 03:35 PM
I have had an Elite jacket for the last couple of years with the eVent fabric. It is a great jacket and a very good investment. I wear mine in 40deg and lower weather rain or not. It is a bit bulky to shove in a jersey pocket but it can be done.

If fact I wore it today on a 45deg day as it was a bit windy and it was great.

It is well made and the eVent fabric breathes better than similar jackets I have tried.

Alan

coylifut
03-01-2008, 03:39 PM
best jacket for the dollar out there. my one gripe in order to get it to fit the shoulders you have to size up and then it's a bit baggy every where else.

xjoex
03-01-2008, 05:11 PM
Thanks all. Just going to order one now.

-Joe

Ahneida Ride
03-01-2008, 05:12 PM
Which one ? :confused:
..... They offer sever versions I believe ... ;)

wc1934
03-01-2008, 06:32 PM
buy it - you will glad you did - concur that sizing might be a tad tight in the shoulders

Climb01742
03-02-2008, 04:49 AM
i love mine. luckily, the fit works for me. best rain jacket i've owned.

Kines
03-02-2008, 08:15 AM
It's unbelievably good. And the sleeves are plenty long, which almost never happens for me. I really don't think it's too expensive at all, for what you're getting.

R2D2
03-02-2008, 08:51 AM
The best.
It's so good Rapha is now using the same material in their jackets/vests.

Orin
03-02-2008, 01:05 PM
Best rain jacket I've owned.

Yes, they fit tight, but mine doesn't flap around in the wind like most every other rain jacket I've tried.

A couple of thin wool layers under it and I'm set for temperatures down to freezing.

Orin.

chuckred
03-02-2008, 01:19 PM
I've only worn mine once, but seems great! It is a tight fit like others have mentioned.

I can't really see wearing it unless it's a miseable wet day, and those aren't super common out here... but, should the need ever arise, I have high hopes for it! I figure it's insurance...