PDA

View Full Version : Rapha Spring/Summer 2008

CJH
02-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Just saw that Rapha's line for Spring/Summer 08 was announced on their website!
http://www.rapha.cc/index.php?page=357

Steve Hampsten
02-29-2008, 01:51 PM
sweeeet...

thejen12
02-29-2008, 01:54 PM
They don't seem to have any women's specific sized jerseys. Too bad. Men's jersey's always tend to look kinda baggy on me.

I like my new Ibex jersey, though!

Jenn

CJH
02-29-2008, 02:01 PM
The Hampsten and Country jerseys look really nice!

johnnymossville
02-29-2008, 02:08 PM
Very nice.

maunahaole
02-29-2008, 02:34 PM
At the risk of starting up a whole new rapha discussion, I think the stuff looks cool - I like the lack of "billboardiness" of the gear, that said - there's no way that I would pay even their sale prices and in any event, they dont make anything that fits me.

coylifut
02-29-2008, 02:38 PM
At the risk of starting up a whole new rapha discussion, I think the stuff looks cool - I like the lack of "billboardiness" of the gear, that said - there's no way that I would pay even their sale prices and in any event, they dont make anything that fits me.

you could always spend 2 bills on a jersey and then another $50 on alterations.

maunahaole
02-29-2008, 02:41 PM
ummm...it would be more like buying two jerseys and sewing them together. I like beer more than Darren.

Steve Hampsten
02-29-2008, 02:51 PM
i like the jersey color "fudge"

i'll paint my new frame that color

with a brush

davids
02-29-2008, 03:13 PM

with a brush
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000B1A3S.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

coylifut
02-29-2008, 05:24 PM
here's my gripe with the stuff starting at the top. you can expect the jacket to retail for somewhere around 3 bills, but it doesn't have pit zips or adjustable cuffs. I have the current offering an I suspect they changed the fabric. the prior fabric wasn't all that breathable. it's billed as a light weight jacket you throw on when the spring weather turns foul, but I found it best when worn in the low 30s to 40s and wet. I used mine all winter for commuting, but can't imagine using it in the spring and summer. back to the elastic cuffs. even in very cold weather, my forearms got quite sweaty.

The vest looks no different at all. the one i have is made from eVent fabric which is the same as the Showers pass stuff. I like it. i know that swoop and carry ford have said it doesn't breath, but my experience has been the opposite. also, i don't mind the small zippers. however, the front pocket is large enough for a credit card, but not big enough for most cell phones. why go through the trouble and expense of stitching a pocket, but not making it big enough to be useful. my other gripe about the vest is it needs to be more stretchy around the waist. once you stuff the back pockets of your jersey with a long day's worth of provisions, it's quite tight.

the jerseys look great. everyone of 'em. i find the rapha jerseys to work on all but the hotest days. I break out the light weight model when the temps get above 90. However, why would anyone buy it in black. it's a jersey for the warmest days and it's in black. I hope they kept the white option.

julia
02-29-2008, 05:51 PM
They don't seem to have any women's specific sized jerseys. Too bad. Men's jersey's always tend to look kinda baggy on me.

I like my new Ibex jersey, though!

Jenn

jenn, i know it. . .grump, no fair huh!

we don't even get to choose whether to buy the high end stuff, cos they don't make it for us. . .

but a little bird told me rapha is working on a women's jersey. i'll believe it when i see it, then i'll buy it.

Ginger
02-29-2008, 06:52 PM
jenn, i know it. . .grump, no fair huh!

we don't even get to choose whether to buy the high end stuff, cos they don't make it for us. . .

but a little bird told me rapha is working on a women's jersey. i'll believe it when i see it, then i'll buy it.

Yes. They've been working on a women's jersey for several years. I started an email campaign last year (I think...I can check my emails) and contacted them and said: Yes, we're working on it, but our designers are finding it difficult to pick a women's fit... (approximate...I'd have to check the emails to confirm)

Evidently they think women are picky.

I don't know why they can't make a women's jersey that is elegant and/or stylish and in line with their offerings, there are other jersey makers who manage to do both AND who sell high end jerseys to women.

My thought is their designers must be men and they can do the retro/classic thing....but women's? They're afraid.

Heck. They're missing out on a whole market. Not just women...but bike geek males who think that bike stuff is the perfect present...and an excuse to buy themselves another jersey while they're making out the order...

P.S. I love their stowaway jacket...and several of their jerseys...

Buzz
02-29-2008, 07:00 PM

with a brush

A fudgecycle?

I prefer creamcycles.

Ginger
02-29-2008, 07:04 PM
Although...this makes it official. Orange has hit overload.

DarrenCT
02-29-2008, 07:53 PM
cool hampsten jersey if u ask me

http://www.rapha.cc/index.php?page=357#soongavia

julia
03-01-2008, 03:19 AM
Yes. They've been working on a women's jersey for several years. I started an email campaign last year (I think...I can check my emails) and contacted them and said: Yes, we're working on it, but our designers are finding it difficult to pick a women's fit... (approximate...I'd have to check the emails to confirm)

I don't know why they can't make a women's jersey that is elegant and/or stylish and in line with their offerings, there are other jersey makers who manage to do both AND who sell high end jerseys to women.

My thought is their designers must be men and they can do the retro/classic thing....but women's? They're afraid.

Heck. They're missing out on a whole market. Not just women...but bike geek males who think that bike stuff is the perfect present...and an excuse to buy themselves another jersey while they're making out the order...

P.S. I love their stowaway jacket...and several of their jerseys...

+100, ginger

beryl burton
eileen sheridan
ummm...

the retro marketing image is less obvious for women's cycling but shouldn't be that hard...i think rapha will get there, eventually

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s306/juliahensley/CIMG1837.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s306/juliahensley/B_Burton.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s306/juliahensley/3378848.jpg

julia
03-01-2008, 03:19 AM

julia
03-01-2008, 03:27 AM

CJH
03-01-2008, 05:30 AM
Here are some closer shots of the jerseys... From this site http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article/mps/uan/2996

dbrk
03-01-2008, 08:16 AM
+100, ginger

beryl burton
eileen sheridan
ummm...

lyli herse
julia hensley
mary ann martin
yum...

:-)

dbrk

davids
03-01-2008, 08:46 AM
Here are some closer shots of the jerseys... From this site http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article/mps/uan/2996They're beautiful. They cost too much.

Johny
03-01-2008, 09:00 AM
Rapha Club jersey is man's Victoria's Secret. :beer:

julia
03-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Rapha Club jersey is man's Victoria's Secret. :beer:

POST OF THE MONTH

where's my catalogue??

julia
03-01-2008, 10:47 AM
lyli herse
julia hensley
mary ann martin
yum...

:-)

dbrk

shucks, dbrk. . .

Karin Kirk
03-01-2008, 11:32 AM

Well they got that part of their research correct!

I love the aesthetic, but would not part with that much cash just for the look.

manet
03-01-2008, 11:33 AM
... victor's secret

fixednwinter
03-01-2008, 11:46 AM
[QUOTE=julia]
beryl burton
eileen sheridan
ummm...

There's a fantastic account of Eileen Sheridan's John O Groats-Lands End record breaking ride, in Tim Hinton's "One More Kilometre and We're in the Showers", on British cycling (pg. 284-290). Cripes, I was almost in tears reading that account - Sheridan is tougher than a Belgian Classics rider...

It is interesting that Rapha has not delved into Britain's rich tradition of tough women cyclists for inspiration, than continues today with Nicole Cooke.

julia
03-01-2008, 02:19 PM
[QUOTE=julia]
beryl burton
eileen sheridan
ummm...

There's a fantastic account of Eileen Sheridan's John O Groats-Lands End record breaking ride, in Tim Hinton's "One More Kilometre and We're in the Showers", on British cycling (pg. 284-290). Cripes, I was almost in tears reading that account - Sheridan is tougher than a Belgian Classics rider...

It is interesting that Rapha has not delved into Britain's rich tradition of tough women cyclists for inspiration, than continues today with Nicole Cooke.

cool!

sheridan was "the mighty atom"

(these days that would be "the mighty atmo")

i agree, it is such a rich history and prime for the plucking, marketing-wise.

this movie about her sounds tres cool, too

----------------
Hercules Cycle and Motor Company signed her in 1951 for three years to break Road Records Association distance and place-to-place records. Sheridan broke all the women's records by large margins. Some, such as the London-Edinburgh record of 20h 11m 35s, set in 1954, have yet to be beaten.

In 1952 she featured in a documentary film made by Dunlop called Spinning Wheels: Cycle Sport '50s Style. The film also featured Reg Harris, Ken Joy and Cyril Peacock as well as scenes from the Tour de France.
-----------------
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eileen_Sheridan_(cyclist)

julia
03-01-2008, 02:26 PM
... victor's secret

fixednwinter
03-01-2008, 03:13 PM
[QUOTE=fixednwinter]

cool!

sheridan was "the mighty atom"

(these days that would be "the mighty atmo")

i agree, it is such a rich history and prime for the plucking, marketing-wise.

this movie about her sounds tres cool, too

Spinning Wheels: Cycle Sport '50s Style. )

Yeah, "The Mighty Atom" indeed. Talk about extreme cycling - Sheridan kicks butt.

Great tip - I didn't know about that documentary. I'll google and see if someone's re-issued it on DVD. Thanks!

Bill Bove
03-01-2008, 04:44 PM
sweeeet...
Not showing any bias are we? :D ;)

I would love to have one of those pink "Andy" jerseys but I don't go anywhere nice enough to wear it.