PDA

View Full Version : Reynolds carbon wheel offerings

woolly
02-29-2008, 12:14 PM
What are the real-world differences between the Reynolds Attack carbon clincher model and their much, much more expensive MV32C model? On paper anyway, it looks like the Attack is either a super bargain, or that there's a pretty severe diminishing return curve in place.

Not shopping for these any time soon, but curious. The Attacks are priced low enough to be something I could start targeting when my bike fund gets some replenishing.

coylifut
02-29-2008, 12:46 PM
about the same weight, but the DV 46 is deeper with bearings that are claimed to be better.

woolly
02-29-2008, 02:53 PM
about the same weight, but the DV 46 is deeper with bearings that are claimed to be better.

Yeah, but that's a different model than the ones I was comparing. The Attack & MV32C are both 32mm deep clinchers. There's a thousand bucks difference in the price, and about 85 grams difference in weight. I was wondering how much difference there was in performance.

davids
02-29-2008, 03:05 PM
I don't know, but it looks like a combination of cheaper hubs and less sophisticated carbon layup for the rims. Here's more info:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2007/reviews/reynolds_attack07

TomP
02-29-2008, 03:10 PM
I just got a set of Attacks from a friend who works at a shop. I also talked to my friend Bill who builds Holland bikes. According to them, everything is the same except for the hub. The more expensive model uses DT Swiss 240 hubs. The Attack uses a less expensive hub, but built with grade ABEC 5 bearings. So, bearing quality is good, the hub is just not quite as light or "sexy". I'm going to ride them for the first time tomorrow and will post a ride review.

Tom

woolly
02-29-2008, 03:19 PM
Thanks guys. I hope the first-hand experiences live up to the reviews. I've been pretty much priced out of the really high-end of bikes & parts, but these may fit. Maybe I'm getting too old/old-school, but I do like the more standard spokes that they use. Kinda nice to know that you could get a replacement pretty much anywhere, if you had to.

Tobias
02-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Thanks guys. I hope the first-hand experiences live up to the reviews. I've been pretty much priced out of the really high-end of bikes & parts, but these may fit. Maybe I'm getting too old/old-school, but I do like the more standard spokes that they use. Kinda nice to know that you could get a replacement pretty much anywhere, if you had to.To me the cost seems high for 1500+ grams and round spokes.
As to spoke replacement, can't you get by with a round spoke if you break a bladed one until you get back home?
My custom wheels came with extra spokes and I don't even travel with them. I probably should but I just don't expect them to break.
Look forward to your review.

woolly
02-29-2008, 04:20 PM
To me the cost seems high for 1500+ grams and round spokes.
As to spoke replacement, can't you get by with a round spoke if you break a bladed one until you get back home?
My custom wheels came with extra spokes and I don't even travel with them. I probably should but I just don't expect them to break.
Look forward to your review.

Hmmm, if you think the 1485 gram Attacks are expensive at around $1200, you must really think the 1400 gram MV32C's are waaay out of line at around $2250. Keep in mind that these are all-carbon clinchers, and the tubular version of the MV32 are indeed more than 200g lighter.

Re: the spokes, it's not so much that they're round, but that they're a more traditional J-bend - something you can find replacements for everywhere.

Re: a review - not by me, at least not just yet. I've been trying to help the economy by blowing my yearly cycling budget early-on (see the other long-winded thread I started. Being sick really sucks. I've only been out of commission for two days & the cabin fever has got me typing monoliths like that). I'll leave the near-term reviews to TomP, which I look forward to reading. :D

TomP
03-01-2008, 06:13 PM
I rode my new Attack's for the first time today. They went on my HSG IT which I have ridden with Fulcrum 3's, Dave's Speed Dreams, and DT Swiss 240 hubs with RR 1.1 rims. I rode the same tire; Michelin ProRace 2, at the same pressure as always.

Well, in a word, they were great. I don't have data to quantify speed, power etc. My review is based on feel. They are silky smooth, very comfortable, responsive, and stable at all speeds and in corners.

The hubs spin every bit as smoothly as anything I have ever had, and smoother than many. I am very glad I got them.

Tom

pdxmech13
03-01-2008, 08:57 PM
I think everyone should ride the wheel they think looks sexiest on their bike. However the Jerk himself said it best. "carbon clinchers are the anatomic bar of the wheel kingdom". Gahye for sure.