PDA

View Full Version : Esay/safe way to remove wax....

Avispa
02-29-2008, 06:54 AM
I put some wax on my newly painted Ottrott.... Mother's is what I used. I made the mistake of putting some of the wax on the drive train side chain stay and now the clear protector does not stick well. I have to keep smoothing it before every ride. But now, it even beginning to get dust under the edges, so it does not look good at all anymore!

What solution do you think is best to remove the wax, without damaging the paint? Is "Goof off" safe enough?

Thanks! :)

..A..

e-RICHIE
02-29-2008, 06:59 AM
What solution do you think is best to remove the wax <cut>
ban him from posting atmo.

stevep
02-29-2008, 07:00 AM
easiest to just get a new frame.

spokesman for the bike industry stevep

or car wash soap and hot water if you dont go the new frame route.

jchasse
02-29-2008, 07:07 AM
3M Adhesive Cleaner. The 3M brand is safe for paint, but will get rid of wax.

I wouldn't try to substitute any generic "adhesive remover" from an autoparts place cause, well, lets say that stuff could be anything. and it may not be paint friendly...don't ask how i know this.

theprep
02-29-2008, 07:10 AM
I put some wax on my newly painted Ottrott.... Mother's is what I used. I made the mistake of putting some of the wax on the drive train side chain stay and now the clear protector does not stick well. I have to keep smoothing it before every ride. But now, it even beginning to get dust under the edges, so it does not look good at all anymore!

What solution do you think is best to remove the wax, without damaging the paint? Is "Goof off" safe enough?

Thanks! :)

..A..

I think rubbing alcohol will work. If it is cold in your garage, warm the stay and the new sticker with a hair dryer.

Too Tall
02-29-2008, 07:33 AM
Maaaaaan that's overkill. Relax. Dawn dish liquid warm water + a microfiber cloth will remove the wax. Ask me how I know ;)

e-RICHIE
02-29-2008, 07:34 AM
Maaaaaan that's overkill. Relax. Dawn dish liquid warm water + a microfiber cloth will remove the wax. Ask me how I know ;)
did you remove dnovo that way atmo?

ClutchCargo
02-29-2008, 07:39 AM
If you're serious about this, then order some wax remover from
www.artechski.com . It's used for removing wax from ski bases
and will surely work for you. Not sure what it is; you might be
able to get the same thing from your local hardware store.

Ride on!

PBWrench
02-29-2008, 07:45 AM
R -- this should do the trick:

Too Tall
02-29-2008, 08:10 AM
R -- this should do the trick:
This is getting so deep so fast I'll let my panel of official apologists take it from here :rolleyes:
FWIIW "Squeaky" is a term I'd use to describe the result.

Keith A
02-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Another vote for rubbing alcohol. I recently picked up a new clear chainstay protector and it came with an rubbing alcohol pad to prep the frame so the film would stick better.

branman1986
02-29-2008, 11:55 AM
You can also use a hairdryer & paper towel...

If you ever spill candlewax on the carpet, fold up some paper towels and iron over top. The iron will melt the wax, and the papertowels will soak it up. Ask me how I know...... ;) (I saw it on Martha, so sue me :banana: )

Avispa
02-29-2008, 01:17 PM
ban him from posting atmo.

Hey,

Is this some kind of political statement! :D

Wax is good, bro...

..A..

Avispa
02-29-2008, 01:19 PM
easiest to just get a new frame.

I like the way some people confuse me with Jack B.

But that's OK, I like him too.... :)

..A..

Too Tall
02-29-2008, 03:16 PM
So? Who waxes?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. dnovo

2. brunk

3. dbrk

4. manet

Avispa
02-29-2008, 05:13 PM