PDA

View Full Version : where do you get that carbon fiber glue

shoe
02-28-2008, 05:25 PM
from the black stallion to sleeping beauty...i know people said they always liked this bike..well i think i'm ready to part with it. carbon tournesol going cheap..all i need is some of that good carbon fiber glue...so i got my car crash out of the way early this season...one car three cyclists....we all got taken out and luckily walked away. bikes maybe not..luckily the one guys new bike out for a it's maiden voyage didn't get ruined...the other two ... well not so lucky...things that help you crash...the bike breaking to soften the blow to the crumbled in windshield..rolled off the windshield after shattering it and landed on my feet..kind of wondering what just happened cause it kinda goes fast...also i'd be willing to sell the shifters as well..one kind of works....let me know...and good luck out there...dave

manet
02-28-2008, 05:35 PM
sorry dave.
nice shot though. clic it into sepia, and
sell it to rapha for their next catalogue.
make money for new bike.

navclbiker
02-28-2008, 05:36 PM
OMFG! I'm so glad your'e alive! How did this happen?

Grant McLean
02-28-2008, 05:39 PM
there's always.....

http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=duct+tape&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

seriously a bummer.

:(

-g

Ginger
02-28-2008, 05:39 PM
Awwww Dave.

Glad to hear you are ok. Watch yourself for the next couple days...that's when the whiplash sets in.

Blue Jays
02-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Thankfully it sounds like you're recovering well.

I would collect the insurance payment from the driver (if he was at fault for the accident), buy the bike as salvage, strip the parts, and mount the broken frame behind glass. Color snapshots of the accident scene could be mounted next to the frame, perhaps with a copy of the police report. Good luck and hopefully you're back on two wheels soon.

ericspin
02-28-2008, 06:06 PM
Dude! No plastic bikes for me. Two threads about exploding plastic bikes in one day.

Glad you are OK!!

Better stay on that Kirk fixie we dredged up a while ago.

What about the driver, were they freaked or just an a@@hole?

Eric

Satellite
02-28-2008, 06:08 PM
Shoe,

Was it hard to ride your bike home after the crash? Good news you get to buy a new bike; whatcha goooin get? Seriously glad everyone is healthy after an event like that.

Satellite

shoe
02-28-2008, 06:13 PM
manet- crackin me up..i was just reading that thread...i was wearing my rapha jacket..pulled a little glass out of it and good to go...ad would be ---usa cycling..taste the pain..get your azz kikked and still look good..rapha cycling gear....

as far as how it happened , someone turned from into a cross street and didn't see us from the sun in his eyes...since he was heading east and the sun was still low coming up..and i thought that 18 degrees this morning sucked...

Too Tall
02-28-2008, 06:13 PM
Bro., that's awful bad luck and hope you took a big bite out of that goobers car :( Boooooo. Real shame about the bike too, that was a bee-you-tee-full bike. Anywho glad you are ok.

AgilisMerlin
02-28-2008, 06:14 PM
down at the end of this road...............i think...........glue factory......

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/paffairs/images/grapevin.jpg

Dave
02-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Titanium and any other metal can do the same thing, so don't feel so smug, just becasue you're riding a metal frame. I've got pictures of a Litespeed with the same damage, totally sheared off at the head tube. Any frame, hit the right way will fold or break. Either way, you're going over the front of a totalled frame.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?p=1425259#poststop

AgilisMerlin
02-28-2008, 06:25 PM
.............the carbon frame i had cracked twice and was sent back to the big glue factory..........on receiving it the second time i sold it on ebay....cause it was a top brand. Someone is probably riding it today. So i have experience with metal and carbon. I also crumpled a panasonic dx4000 prestige frame in a crit, way back in another lifetime. It buckled and was dented...... it was my best friends frame.........

ouch

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=117259&stc=1&d=1203964486

shoe
02-28-2008, 06:25 PM
well i have been workin on my wheelie skills so you know just rode it home that way...as far as a new bike who knows,,that was just buying me time till my new bike arrived..which should be done in the next week or 2.as far as getting back out.. i am trying to get the kirk together tomorrow for my first race on sunday...they are gonna love my set up...i'll leave the top tube pump off i guess...the driver...well lets just say he was the one that left traumatized...i would have given that poor guy a hug cause he was tweekin but then again my brain was a little scrambled so we kept the talking minimal...as far as carbon.it's not a carbon thing it's a head on collision thing .any bike would have been toast..the other guy cracked his head tube(titanium) in two spots and he got a little braking in...i did just get a new helmet so i was psyched to put it to good use...still no offers on the bike ...come on don't hold back

Blue Jays
02-28-2008, 06:30 PM
Old bike? How aged could a carbon fiber Tournesol possibly be? Keeping my fingers crossed insurance coverage can help you here.

AgilisMerlin
02-28-2008, 06:36 PM
forgot

glad you are OK

bfd
02-28-2008, 07:07 PM
from the black stallion to sleeping beauty...i know people said they always liked this bike..well i think i'm ready to part with it. carbon tournesol going cheap..all i need is some of that good carbon fiber glue...so i got my car crash out of the way early this season...one car three cyclists....we all got taken out and luckily walked away. bikes maybe not..luckily the one guys new bike out for a it's maiden voyage didn't get ruined...the other two ... well not so lucky...things that help you crash...the bike breaking to soften the blow to the crumbled in windshield..rolled off the windshield after shattering it and landed on my feet..kind of wondering what just happened cause it kinda goes fast...also i'd be willing to sell the shifters as well..one kind of works....let me know...and good luck out there...dave

Glad to hear you are not hurt! But, man, that frame is too nice to trash. I would contact Bob Parlee, the builder, and see whether he can fix it.

Alternatively, Craig Calfee repairs carbon fiber frames, besides his own, and might be able to do something

http://www.calfeedesign.com/howtosendrepair.htm

Good Luck!

DarrenCT
02-28-2008, 08:01 PM
dazamn dude

1st of all - im glad ur ok

2nd of all - have a few beers it'll make things better

Erik.Lazdins
02-28-2008, 08:08 PM
Hey the title threw me off - wow I hope you are ok thats the most important.
Bikes can be replaced - not easily - not always painlessly but take care of yourself.

Hope you are totally uninjured - :beer: to your health..

Fixed
02-28-2008, 08:57 PM
they keep it in a bag
imho
cheers

Steve Hampsten
02-28-2008, 09:30 PM
stuff breaks

we can fix it, cheap

spoke to your bud jon today - how the hell does one car take out three cyclists?

shoe
02-28-2008, 10:53 PM
steve-don't ask don't tell - ya know - oh wait it is kind of like reverse dominoes..she looks kinda sad laying down like that to rest...still a good looking bike though....

dave thompson
02-28-2008, 11:46 PM
Geez Dave, that beautiful Sun Flower! I'm so glad that you're good even though the bike's not. It pains me to see the pic of your dead bike. Wishing you all the best!

H.Frank Beshear
02-29-2008, 06:43 AM
Wow.. Glad that the only real damage was to the material objects..still sucks but I'm thankful it didn't turn out worse for you and your friends. Hope to see you in August. Frank

shoe
02-29-2008, 08:29 AM
hey guys well and ginger(she is like one of the guys in a feminine kinda way) thanks for the kind words..a little stiff this am but not too bad.. must be what it is like to be a football player...stripped down the bike and off to get the kirk built up so hopefully will be back on the road this weekend.hope you guys get a good weekend of riding in as well....

justinf
02-29-2008, 08:45 AM
I had a feeling Steve was gonna swoop in and look out for ya. Props.

Like most of the bros, glad you're ok.

davids
02-29-2008, 10:27 AM
Man, I loved that bike. A rare beauty. Make the guy pay for a new one.

But the important thing is that you're OK. Thank God.

Take care, OK?