PDA

View Full Version : Threaded vs Smooth Valve Stems

bobscott
02-28-2008, 01:05 PM
I could not find an earlier discussion which compares smooth and threaded valve stems.

I have been riding tubies (with smooth stems) exclusively until recently when I built up a set of clincher wheels.

It seems that most people on the forum like smooth valve stems based in the fact that they are easier to inflate and don't damage the seal on pump heads. I like this aspect of smooth valves although I haven't really noticed that they are hard on my Silca chuck.

A number of years ago when I was riding some clinchers, I found that the smooth valves (which were rare then) tended to puncture more around the valve. Still the case?

I also don't like the way the stems are not fixed in position like they are with a rim nut. In addition, I think a threaded valve with a rim nut looks better.

What's the group think on this?

Thanks,
bobscott

J.Greene
02-28-2008, 01:12 PM
What's the group think on this?

Thanks,
bobscott

I think you should go back to tubbies and have a bagel pizza for lunch.

JG

Erik.Lazdins
02-28-2008, 01:13 PM
I prefer a smooth valve stem

I use a Silca pump and noticed I needed to use more force to remove the chuck from the threaded valves and had a few flats where the valve connects to the tube

I inflate on my road (25mm) tires once a week and once per month (usually) on the 650B 35mm tires.

coylifut
02-28-2008, 01:45 PM
I only ride deep dish carbon tubulars with smooth valve extenders and yes that includes my commuting miles in the rain. Yesterday I set a PR between the bridge and the cement factory.

Bob Ross
02-28-2008, 02:03 PM
It seems that most people on the forum like smooth valve stems based in the fact that they are easier to inflate and don't damage the seal on pump heads.

Really?!?!?! What planet are they from?

I've never found a smooth stem that was as "easy to inflate" as a threaded one, especially if the tire's lost a lot of pressure. And when it comes to ease of changing a tube quickly, there's no contest. Threaded stems w/ locking nuts ftw.

bobscott
02-28-2008, 02:54 PM
Really?!?!?! What planet are they from?

I've never found a smooth stem that was as "easy to inflate" as a threaded one, especially if the tire's lost a lot of pressure. And when it comes to ease of changing a tube quickly, there's no contest. Threaded stems w/ locking nuts ftw.

For clarification
The easier to inflate involved getting the pump head on and off the valve..in my hands smooth are easier in this way

A question
how do threaded stems facilitate a tube change?

bobscott

AgilisMerlin
02-28-2008, 02:59 PM
http://biketiresdirect.com/productdetail.asp?p=SNLRW&tn=0

OtayBW
02-28-2008, 03:18 PM
I prefer a smooth valve stem

I use a Silca pump and noticed I needed to use more force to remove the chuck from the threaded valves and had a few flats where the valve connects to the tube

I inflate on my road (25mm) tires once a week and once per month (usually) on the 650B 35mm tires.
My experience as well. No matter how careful you are with the Silca, it takes a lot of force to get that chuck off of the stem. I must have gotten 3 flats this year just as I was about to hit the road....

The smooth valve stems are great.

Grant McLean
02-28-2008, 03:21 PM
hate the nut thing...

i thought you toss that little nut over your left shoulder,
and say a prayer to the 'flat gods'? works for me.

-g

Bud_E
02-28-2008, 04:07 PM
hate the nut thing...

-g

Yep - right into the bushes. :banana:

FMS_rider
02-28-2008, 04:39 PM
I find that it is much easier to mount a new tire or inflate on the road with a threaded stem. I have a nut taped to my pump --I usually take them off after inflating. Most pump heads have seals that are easy and cheap to replace when they wear out, which for me requires several years of inflating tubes with threaded stems.

Is there anyone here who does not use a Silca pump who prefers smooth stems?

TimD
02-28-2008, 06:18 PM
And I'm from Earth.

jberenyi
02-28-2008, 07:04 PM
Smooth, rough, knurled, shiny, dull....I could care less. Just ride!

Karin Kirk
02-28-2008, 07:10 PM
Is there anyone here who does not use a Silca pump who prefers smooth stems?

Yes. The pump is Silca, but the pump head has been replaced with some other kind. It really stinks with threaded valve stems. I got several flats while pulling the pump head off the threaded stems. Smooth valve stems for me!

Fixed
02-28-2008, 07:30 PM
bro if it's the right size and as long it holds air it don't matter imho
cheers

gdw
02-28-2008, 07:44 PM
Smooth or threaded without the nut work equally well for me.

saab2000
02-28-2008, 07:47 PM
Smooth valve stems. The seal is only bad if it has been ruined by using threaded valve stems.

Bob Ross
02-29-2008, 09:00 AM
how do threaded stems facilitate a tube change?

The threaded stem (along w/ the nut) prevents the stem from getting pushed down into the rim when you attempt to attach the pump head before any air is in the tube.

thwart
02-29-2008, 01:20 PM
Yes, but as someone mentioned above, it may actually harm the tube at the valve stem/tube interface by resticting any movement. I've had flats there before, depends on the tube.

So the advice of removing the nut after inflation (from a new, dead-flat tube) makes a lot of sense to me.

CJH
02-29-2008, 01:39 PM
hate the nut thing...

-g
No you actually put on two or three of those things and ride a perfectly balanced wheel...

RudAwkning
02-29-2008, 01:44 PM
Smooth here. I've seen all sorts of bad things happen to frame pumps and CO2 inflators due to threaded stems stripping internal grommets out/apart. Sucks to have that happen during a ride.

deechee
02-29-2008, 03:31 PM
I don't really care but I prefer michelin tubes which come smooth but I get a discount on Conti tubes and still have a box full to go through.

FMS_rider
03-03-2008, 08:11 AM
Yes. The pump is Silca, but the pump head has been replaced with some other kind. It really stinks with threaded valve stems. I got several flats while pulling the pump head off the threaded stems. Smooth valve stems for me!I only use heads with a seal/release lever on my frame pump --you flip it up, the rubber seal retracts, and it pops off with no tugging on the valve or damage to the seal from threaded stems. I have have gone through heads from several different manufacturers and find the one from Specialized to be the best (some lever heads are worthless and actually harder to use than the Silca). The Specialized head comes with a long hose, which you can cut off and attach to any pump. Here is the link for the head and hose ($10.00): http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=26317

Here's the link for the replaceable rubber seal for the Specialized head($1.00): http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=26315

All specialized pumps are completely rebuidable for peanuts (http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqSection.jsp?sid=EquipSparePartsPumps). I have never owned one but will probably buy one when my current generic oldie wears out.

Lew