PDA

View Full Version : E Dura Ace

Volant
02-28-2008, 08:52 AM
http://www.bicycling.com/article/0,6610,s1-1-8-16868-1,00.html?cm_mmc=BicyclingNL-_-2008_02_28-_-gear-_-shimano

avalonracing
02-28-2008, 08:58 AM
Hmmm... It's clunky, it still uses cables, and requires batteries. The advantage, they say, is that it requires less hand pressure from the riders to shift. Why not just have the riders do one rep of an upper body exercise per year and stick with the current, reliable set up. :rolleyes:

johnnymossville
02-28-2008, 09:02 AM
I kinda like mechanical things, watches and bikes are so much cooler for NOT having batteries.

I'd give'm a try though. They probably work great.

Marcus Torino
02-28-2008, 09:14 AM
Hmmm... It's clunky, it still uses cables, and requires batteries. The advantage, they say, is that it requires less hand pressure from the riders to shift. Why not just have the riders do one rep of an upper body exercise per year and stick with the current, reliable set up. :rolleyes:

And yet Campy are making ergo springs stiffer for the pro's....I don't get it.

Ti Designs
02-28-2008, 09:20 AM
Do the pedals still go 'round in the same direction???

rnhood
02-28-2008, 09:24 AM
Nice looking Tarmac SL2.

I don't think an electronic deraillleur system like this will find much acceptance with the general public, especially if it cost more than Ultegra. My guess is that they are just experimenting and, nothing wrong with that. Perhaps they will get a patent or two from it.

dancinkozmo
02-28-2008, 09:27 AM
Nice looking Tarmac SL2.

I don't think an electronic deraillleur system like this will find much acceptance with the general public, especially if it cost more than Ultegra. My guess is that they are just experimenting and, nothing wrong with that. Perhaps they will get a patent or two from it.

Battery technology is constantly evolving...maybe theyre preparing for a time when the battery will be miniscule...perhaps even re-chargeable by the bikes mechanical movement...

avalonracing
02-28-2008, 09:55 AM
.perhaps even re-chargeable by the bikes mechanical movement...

Quick! Patent that!!!

William
02-28-2008, 10:05 AM
...perhaps even re-chargeable by the bikes mechanical movement...

Too late, already done. Look for it on the new "E"DA.

William ;)

jpw
02-28-2008, 10:09 AM
where do the batteries go?

jhcakilmer
02-28-2008, 10:25 AM
Are we really becoming so lazy, that we can not directly shift gears (ironic, considering that this is on a human powered machine), or have they just run out of gimmicks to sell us??

jpw
02-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Rohloff Speedhub with electronic shifter button would be great.

CJH
02-28-2008, 11:27 AM
Now that's an interesting idea! One electric wire as opposed to two cables running the thing...

flux
02-28-2008, 11:55 AM
No cables protruding from the STI levers. Pretty cool.

Grant McLean
02-28-2008, 11:59 AM
No cables protruding from the STI levers. Pretty cool.

Very high tech.
it's like a single speed!

:)

-g

flux
02-28-2008, 12:01 PM
Very high tech.
it's like a single speed!

:)

-g

It is a singlespeed when you forget to pay your electrical bill.

SoCalSteve
02-28-2008, 12:03 PM
It is a singlespeed when you forget to pay your electrical bill.

Post of the day!

Made me "laugh out loud".

Just sayin'

Steve

dvs cycles
02-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Are we really becoming so lazy, that we can not directly shift gears (ironic, considering that this is on a human powered machine), or have they just run out of gimmicks to sell us??Reports are that it shifts instantly which probably wouldn't matter to most of us but maybe the guys in the tours might like it.
Personally I will stick with cables for my single but am open to electric for the tandem. Could make a big difference there.

stevep
02-28-2008, 12:59 PM
ive been told by the only guy whos ridden it that i know,

"you will sell what you have after one ride and use this"
his words.

he knows me that i largely dont care what i use cause,
my words
"anything now works 1,000 times better than nuovo record ever did "

we'll see. supposed to be cool.

e-RICHIE
02-28-2008, 01:03 PM

"you will sell what you have after one ride and use this"
his words.

he knows me that i largely dont care what i use cause,
my words
"anything now works 1,000 times better than nuovo record ever did "

we'll see. supposed to be cool.
Puccipedia minus 18 atmo -

fiamme red
02-28-2008, 01:06 PM

"you will sell what you have after one ride and use this".Including your bike! :rolleyes:

What use will you have for the shifters after you sell your bike? Beats me. :confused:

jpw
02-28-2008, 01:10 PM
So what is Campagnolo doing on electronic shifting?

AgilisMerlin
02-28-2008, 01:34 PM
So what is Campagnolo doing on electronic shifting?

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/84/98/22849884.jpg

jpw
02-28-2008, 01:46 PM
........... ;)

BdaGhisallo
02-28-2008, 02:12 PM
Campy has been testing electric shifting, in public at least, for far longer than Shimano. I remember seeing Fabio Sacchi's Saeco Cannondale equipped with proto Campy electric at some of the late summer Italian semi-classics in 2003.

Here's a little snip on 7900 mechanical DA taken from RBR's Shimano forum:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?p=1431040#post1431040

"Derailleur cables under tape. Ti clamp band. Carbon blade with easier reach from hoods and relocated pivot for better leverage. 20% reduction in lever throw. No trim for front derailleur (not needed, cross chain away). Adjustable reach. Flight deck with HR, altitude, & incline (PC download). Front derailleur 20% stronger spring. Brakes have Ti hardware and recessed cable stop and arch style for more power. Rear derailleur carbon jockey cage and redesigned wheels to get rid of need for GS. 3 cranks alloy 130, alloy 110, and carbon 130 with BB30 on the way. Crank spindle alloy/carbon. A lil' bird told me..."

jhcakilmer
02-28-2008, 02:39 PM
Reports are that it shifts instantly which probably wouldn't matter to most of us but maybe the guys in the tours might like it.
Personally I will stick with cables for my single but am open to electric for the tandem. Could make a big difference there.

I guess I don't really understand what "instantly" means. It seems as though our cable actuated shifting systems (if setup properly) should be "near" instant. There shouldn't be anything more than negligible slack, so how much faster can it really shift.......tenths of the second?

Plus, it has to weigh more, I really can't see how it could weigh less since record, and DA are quite minimalistic, and also especially considering your added the batteries.

dbrk
02-28-2008, 03:13 PM
Are we really becoming so lazy, that we can not directly shift gears (ironic, considering that this is on a human powered machine), or have they just run out of gimmicks to sell us??

Uhhh, yes. And I think we are just being sold stuff. And STI/Ergo wasn't a gimmick? Asic, I've not seen significant progress since Simplex retrofriction dt shifters and the 5500 rear, so if bikes had stopped evolving, say, around 1983, I'd never have noticed. Why comment then on E-DA: because it's not going to make my cycling life better, which I might wish for. Though I suppose it won't make my cycling any worse since I have officially reached my goal of lifetime stashes in the stuff I like. I am market proof: I think I have all the crap in boxes I will need to ride 30 more years, at which point I'll likely ---if not dead--- be walking down a hallway wearing velcro sneakers calling some woman I don't know "Momma." My hope would be that such miracles of technology would invite some to "upgrade" and thus render the things I like cheaper still. That, unfortunately, hasn't happened. Oh well.

dbrk

BUTCH RIDES
02-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Hello, most of the best minds we have today write ads
bye bye

sg8357
02-28-2008, 03:31 PM
To paraphrase the ur-retrogrouch himself.

"I still feel that electric gears are only for people over forty-five.
Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a battery?
We are getting soft... As for me, give me a manual derailer!"
--Henri Desgrange, 1902 L'Equipe article

dvs cycles
02-28-2008, 03:56 PM
I guess I don't really understand what "instantly" means. It seems as though our cable actuated shifting systems (if setup properly) should be "near" instant. There shouldn't be anything more than negligible slack, so how much faster can it really shift.......tenths of the second?

Plus, it has to weigh more, I really can't see how it could weigh less since record, and DA are quite minimalistic, and also especially considering your added the batteries.
When you shift to a smaller cog it is pretty much instant since tension is released. When going up to a larger cog you are taking up slack and moving the rear DR up until you get the click to hold it there.
Sometimes very much noticable on the tandem being 7' of cable to back there. The battery is the weight factor as the levers will be very much lighter and cable vs wire is probably a wash.
I'm with you it is fast enough for me but I still like my heavy old Legend Ti from 1995.

stevep
02-28-2008, 04:20 PM

electronic weighs the same as 7800.
they are also introducing a 7900 group that is upgraded mechanical. this group will weigh 200 grams less than current da.
rechargeable battery good for 1,500 miles ( one would think depending on how much you shift )

no front der trim because it trims itself automatically...

dbrk, i got yr deposit check. you will get the first one on the east coast.
but not by the ramble. put it on the rene herse.

jhcakilmer
02-28-2008, 06:38 PM
Uhhh, yes. And I think we are just being sold stuff. And STI/Ergo wasn't a gimmick?

dbrk

Not in my opinion. The ability to shift without your hands leaving the bar, gives you many benefits over dt shifters.

jhcakilmer
02-28-2008, 06:47 PM
electronic weighs the same as 7800.
they are also introducing a 7900 group that is upgraded mechanical. this group will weigh 200 grams less than current da.
rechargeable battery good for 1,500 miles ( one would think depending on how much you shift )

no front der trim because it trims itself automatically...

Have you weighed them, or just going on Shimano press releases? Has anyone independently confirmed that, I just find it hard to believe!

But, a 200g drop with the 7900 group is very impressive!!

Also, can anyone really say how it will perform long term, and think about replacement parts.....$$$.

Too Tall
02-28-2008, 06:47 PM
I hate it. Alot and I'm not coming out of my room until it goes away.

PaulE
02-28-2008, 08:02 PM
can have shift buttons on both the aero bars and the brake levers with electronic. Like a 3 way light switch. That will be an advantage for someone, not me.

Fixed
02-28-2008, 08:19 PM
can't wait to see the track version
cheers :beer:

saab2000
02-28-2008, 08:22 PM

And this, my friends, is why this man is at the top of the heap here! :beer:

Satellite
02-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Geez I remember Mavic Electric shifters way back in the day. Flooped over like yesterdays tuna fish sandwich. Something about Shimano lots of manufactures did external bottom brackets but until Shimano throws her name in the hat nobody else follows.

chuckroast
02-28-2008, 08:30 PM
When do we see electric brakes?

goonster
02-28-2008, 08:34 PM

Get's it. :beer:

chuckroast
02-28-2008, 08:41 PM
On board tire pressure sensors?

pdbrye
02-28-2008, 08:47 PM

Best post of the week! :beer:

Hey, I thought you were banned? Glad you're not...

dbrk
02-28-2008, 10:28 PM
Not in my opinion. The ability to shift without your hands leaving the bar, gives you many benefits over dt shifters.

Benefits? Such as? Faster shifts? And I need to shift faster because? If someone doesn't handle a bike well because he or she has to take their hands off the bars, well, that would be one more reason to ride with more skilled riders (if you like company).

I'm not trying to be contentious or nostalgic. But I think there's no question that down tube friction shifting requires more skill and thought than Ergo/STI. Of course, I use modern shifters but I'm not at all convinced there is any advantage for me. YMMV and I do hope everyone enjoys riding a bicycle however they prefer.

dbrk

Simon Q
02-29-2008, 12:54 AM
They are coming up with a solution for something that doesn't need one. What exactly is wrong with cable shifting? Other then the cables protruding out of the STI, which is easy to fix, nothing. Charging batteries so that you can use your gears has hair all over it.

stevep
02-29-2008, 05:41 AM
late report from too tall.
he's in his room pouting but he can't find the remote so he can't turn on the tv.
can someone fed-ex him a new remote so he can have somehting to do while he's in his room?

I hate it. Alot and I'm not coming out of my room until it goes away.

stevep
02-29-2008, 06:01 AM
electronic shifting.
clarification you dont have to buy it if you dont want it.

you also didnt have to buy:
sti/ergo
dual pivot brakes
cassette hubs
cartridge bbs
sealed hubs
cartridge headsets
index shift
8spd, 9 spd, 10spd cassettes
nice, new lightweight frame. whether steel, ti, carbon or even lowly aluminum.
etc, etc, etc

my prescription is to take a beautiful 1975 6 spd colnago* with nuovo record on it for a ride and then make that yr #1 bike instead of the record/da equipped meivici that you now own. you will be begging for the meivici 1/2 way through the ride.
all that old stuff is great classic stuff in keeping with a 1975 alfa romeo.
fun to drive but heck for an everyday car.

wait until you see it before cursing it. shimano has real engineers who are capable of designing and then manufacturing products that have for years driven innovation. but remember, you dont have to buy it.

FMS_rider
02-29-2008, 06:16 AM
We really are a bunch of old farts.

stevep
02-29-2008, 06:38 AM
We really are a bunch of old farts.

fms
you must have 20 feet of snow out there,
no?

i gotta go to maine today and there is something like 5 feet of snow on the ground
ouch

FMS_rider
02-29-2008, 06:54 AM
fms
you must have 20 feet of snow out there,
no?

i gotta go to maine today and there is something like 5 feet of snow on the ground
ouchI haven't raised the blinds yet this morning --too depressing -- we got more last night. I haven't even been able to ride my studded-tire winter bike for almost 2 weeks now --the plows could not keep up with the last big drifting snowfall and cars compacted it into ~2 inches of rutt-filled ice on my favorite rural biking roads which has now developed large pot-holes. There is nothing in the forecast for the next week to suggest that we will get significant melting. Yes, I am in a really bad mood.

Lew

stevep
02-29-2008, 06:58 AM
ouch.
lew,
march 1 is around a really short corner.. hang in there...
soon enough it will be melting.
s
whose birthday is feb 29th?
must be someone out there whos now 10 yrs old.

I haven't raised the blinds yet this morning --too depressing -- we got more last night. I haven't even been able to ride my studded-tire winter bike for almost 2 weeks now --the plows could not keep up with the last big drifting snowfall and cars compacted it into ~2 inches of rutt-filled ice on my favorite rural biking roads which has now developed large pot-holes. There is nothing in the forecast for the next week to suggest that we will get significant melting. Yes, I am in a really bad mood.

Lew

dbrk
02-29-2008, 07:00 AM
...snip...
my prescription is to take a beautiful 1975 6 spd colnago* with nuovo record on it for a ride and then make that yr #1 bike instead of the record/da equipped meivici that you now own. you will be begging for the meivici 1/2 way through the ride. but remember, you dont have to buy it.

Actually, I've done something comparable to this over the past three, four summers. A few days on old bits and steel frames followed by a few on a modern bike (many, all fit well, etc) with the full list of innovations listed above. Result: I've sold most of the new stuff because I don't find it superior or as interesting to ride. I've had no trouble keeping up with others on rides and felt no disadvantage.

That said, I hope to experiment with a new frame made of 953 that will likely use Ergo or some new SRAM sometime this late spring though I have no expectation that it will be superior--- just a bit different. I'm also working on a project involving a Japanese builder's classic frame that will get a NOS batch of Super Record--- that I'm really excited about. Passions differ. I can say without any sort of disapproval of others' choices that I will never use electronic shifting on a bike, no matter how well it works. JNMS. (just not my style. (tm))

dbrk

p.s. I like my girl style from the 70s too. I'm with Fixed on that one.

stevep
02-29-2008, 07:54 AM
we agree then.
you like what you like and i like what i like*

* paraphrased from a quote from e-richie.

also notable i freely admit that the above mentioned super record equipped italian classic is visually the peak of perfection.
the super record crank i think is the most beautiful bike part ever made.

Actually, I've done something comparable to this over the past three, four summers. A few days on old bits and steel frames followed by a few on a modern bike (many, all fit well, etc) with the full list of innovations listed above. Result: I've sold most of the new stuff because I don't find it superior or as interesting to ride. I've had no trouble keeping up with others on rides and felt no disadvantage.

That said, I hope to experiment with a new frame made of 953 that will likely use Ergo or some new SRAM sometime this late spring though I have no expectation that it will be superior--- just a bit different. I'm also working on a project involving a Japanese builder's classic frame that will get a NOS batch of Super Record--- that I'm really excited about. Passions differ. I can say without any sort of disapproval of others' choices that I will never use electronic shifting on a bike, no matter how well it works. JNMS. (just not my style. (tm))

dbrk

p.s. I like my girl style from the 70s too. I'm with Fixed on that one.

e-RICHIE
02-29-2008, 07:57 AM
the super record crank i think is the most beautiful bike part ever made.
nos/nip in stock heremo atmo.

sailorboy
02-29-2008, 07:58 AM
I'm with Steve on this one; I decided several years back to set up an old restored olmo with 6-speed nuovo/super record, and after like 3 rides--the last two just to make sure--dismantled it and sold it all. Vowed never to do another 'retro' build that I would ride again. Dang friction shift levers slipping, chain jumping off the cassette when I stood up, braking stunk etc.

I guess there is a reason the second-hand gios I bought when I was 14 was equipped with 1st generation dura ace shifters and everything else campy.

The only 'retro' bike I will ride again are the ones that are current era and get old with me.

Too Tall
02-29-2008, 08:01 AM
I feel weak, pouting takes alot of energy ;)
I've spent the last hr. thumbing past pictures of DBRKs bikes and am rejuvenated once again, sigh.

I've resisted, threw up a little and poo poo'd the new DA crank on looks alone when it arrived...guess what Sasha put on my cross bike? :rolleyes: Am I unhappy? Not in the least, it is the tool for the job I'm over it. *****in' about pure market hype is my stock and trade and everyone has to have a hustle :cool:

Do I want a SR equipped bespoke steel dream bike? Duh. There is plenty of time.

FMS_rider
02-29-2008, 08:11 AM
... Passions differ. I can say without any sort of disapproval of others' choices that I will never use electronic shifting on a bike, no matter how well it works. JNMS. (just not my style. (tm))
dbrk

p.s. I like my girl style from the 70s too. I'm with Fixed on that one.What prompted my “old fart” remark (in addition to my gas-passing capacity that must be at least the equal of most of the long-timers here) is not statements regarding personal preference like dbrk's, but the sweeping generalizations that have been made on the basis of those preferences. I may never use electronic shifting, but I will wager with anyone here that electronic shifting will be universally adopted by pros in the next few years, and will capture a significant share of the market. I continue my love affair with lugged steel bikes that started in my 20s (and am on the waiting list for one that will probably have down tube shifters), but I also love to sail through the beautiful Wisconsin countryside and enjoy the sunshine with as little hassle as possible --with the bike disappearing beneath me --so I will continue to use STIs for most of my riding. My point, which echos that of several others, is that people ride for many different reasons and new technology that is meaningless to some can increase the pleasure for others.
Lew

stevep
02-29-2008, 08:18 AM
im w/ fms
i'm sending davids out to shovel you out. he's cranky and he needs the exercise. leave a shovel stuck in the snow if front of yr house.
well stated.

What prompted my “old fart” remark (in addition to my gas-passing capacity that must be at least the equal of most of the long-timers here) is not statements regarding personal preference like dbrk's, but the sweeping generalizations that have been made on the basis of those preferences. I may never use electronic shifting, but I will wager with anyone here that electronic shifting will be universally adopted by pros in the next few years, and will capture a significant share of the market. I continue my love affair with lugged steel bikes that started in my 20s (and am on the waiting list for one that will probably have down tube shifters), but I also love to sail through the beautiful Wisconsin countryside and enjoy the sunshine with as little hassle as possible --with the bike disappearing beneath me --so I will continue to use STIs for most of my riding. My point, which echos that of several others, is that people ride for many different reasons and new technology that is meaningless to some can increase the pleasure for others.
Lew

sg8357
02-29-2008, 08:26 AM
my prescription is to take a beautiful 1975 6 spd colnago* with nuovo record on it for a ride and then make that yr #1 bike instead of the record/da equipped meivici that you now own. you will be begging for the meivici 1/2 way through the ride..

I do this every week, bike one is Ergo, bike two for night club rides is 6sp
with Suntour power ratchet bar-cons. Both work well for me.

When I went on tour in England last year I took Suntour setup, less
fiddly when boxing and unboxing for travel.

I did ride a Campy Paris Roubiax bike, that really is more difficult. ;-)
but fun.

FMS_rider
02-29-2008, 08:37 AM
im w/ fms
i'm sending davids out to shovel you out. he's cranky and he needs the exercise. ... Thanks for the offer of davids's services (as well as the complement), but I broke down and hired a guy to keep my driveway plowed out for the winter. Since there is nowhere left to plow it except onto my lawn I have Mt Everest in my front yard --I may dust off my ice axe and crampons and see if my old body is still capable of ice climbing.
Lew

RudAwkning
02-29-2008, 09:13 AM
Benefits? Such as? Faster shifts? And I need to shift faster because? If someone doesn't handle a bike well because he or she has to take their hands off the bars, well, that would be one more reason to ride with more skilled riders (if you like company).

I'm not trying to be contentious or nostalgic. But I think there's no question that down tube friction shifting requires more skill and thought than Ergo/STI. Of course, I use modern shifters but I'm not at all convinced there is any advantage for me. YMMV and I do hope everyone enjoys riding a bicycle however they prefer.

dbrk

I luv DT shifters. But I have to say, I love my STI as well. When I'm stomping on the pedals on an agressive climb and need to shift, I can throw the lever without even thinking.

With friction downtubes, I have to re-seat myself and reach for a lever. This totally throws my momentum and cadence off. I don't mind though. It's part of riding "that bike".

Maybe I don't got skillz, but I've never been able to reach down and shift a DT when torquing the bars and out of the saddle on a climb.

By my count, I've got 3 bikes with DTs, 2 bikes with barcons (recently converted my Kirk to 10spd Campy barends and love it!), 2 bikes with STI and 3 ungeared so I definitely don't favor modern shifters :D

PaulE
02-29-2008, 10:33 AM
will go through phases like watches and mechanical shifting will survive. In watches first came digital, then quartz, but after an initial premature obituary fine mechanical watches came back and have thrived.

Rod operated front derailleurs, rear derailleurs mounted to chainstays ahead of the rear axle and 2 speed setups with figure -8 chains that you pedal backwards for the lower gear will not develop any widespread following, kind of like Stonehenge and sun dials are still around.

It's all good. But I already have an Ipod and cell phone to recharge, and that's enough for me.

BdaGhisallo
02-29-2008, 10:37 AM
The only 'retro' bike I will ride again are the ones that are current era and get old with me

Sailorboy,

I am with you on this one. When I first became interested in road cycling back in the mid-80s, there were plenty of machines I lusted over. The beautiful lugged frames of that era were just candy to the eyes. That Campy C-Record crank seemed like the most beautiful component that could ever be conceived. I remember lusting so badly for a Bob Jackson 753 frame like the one that appeared in a 1992 issue of Bicycling that it hurt!

These days I am all about function. Form can largely be damned. Bikes are tools in my mind these days. I love my welded aluminum frames built by Carl Strong. They are simple and purposeful. I love the latest Shimano components. They work better than anything I could imagine back in 1987.

I appreciate the look and style of many of the bikes at the recent NAHBS but I wouldn't want one as a daily ride. While we each have our own likes and dislikes, I can't understand why someone would want to ride twenty or thirty year old technology when the current stuff functions so much better. I can appreciate the craftsmanship and what those components represented in their day, but I can't buy the case that they function as well as what is available today.

I don't mean to slam anyone's preferences, so please don't take this the wrong way. I am merely expresses my thinking.

Bring on that new Dura Ace. Hmmmmm...

dbrk
02-29-2008, 11:30 AM
snip.... While we each have our own likes and dislikes, I can't understand why someone would want to ride twenty or thirty year old technology when the current stuff functions so much better. Bring on that new Dura Ace. Hmmmmm...

I'm happy just to disagree. I actually don't find new drivetrain technologies to be superior for my needs. I would agree that shifting the Paris-Roubaix changer is a skill not everyone will enjoy acquiring or have the desire even to possess, but I talking more about a fine 6spd rear, Simplex rf shifters, and a 5500 rear: for me, it's never really improved. But I think I've made this point now about a million times and that makes me sound insistent, retro, or even recalcitrant, and I feel like none of those things, well, maybe cynical, skeptical, and grouchy, but not angry. ;-) (I don't even like indexing modicoms...)

dbrk

palincss
02-29-2008, 05:34 PM
I'm with Steve on this one; I decided several years back to set up an old restored olmo with 6-speed nuovo/super record, and after like 3 rides--the last two just to make sure--dismantled it and sold it all. Vowed never to do another 'retro' build that I would ride again. Dang friction shift levers slipping, chain jumping off the cassette when I stood up, braking stunk etc.

I guess there is a reason the second-hand gios I bought when I was 14 was equipped with 1st generation dura ace shifters and everything else campy.

The only 'retro' bike I will ride again are the ones that are current era and get old with me.

Maybe it didn't work for you, but bikes like that were everyday riders and racers for years, and the shift levers didn't keep slipping, the chain didn't jump off the freewheel when the rider stood, and if they were using brakes other than Campagnolo Record sidepulls, the braking didn't stink, either.

Even though Nuovo/Super Record didn't shift really well, people did learn how to use it and it did work acceptably. (Of course, back then if you wanted good braking you went with centerpulls, and if you wanted good shifting you used Simplex, Suntour or Shimano.)

You might not have set it up right, and you might not have known how to use it. None of that was the fault of the equipment.

Grant McLean
02-29-2008, 06:07 PM
But I think I've made this point now about a million times and that makes me sound insistent, retro, or even recalcitrant, and I feel like none of those things, well, maybe cynical, skeptical, and grouchy, but not angry. ;-)

dbrk

why do I see 'disc brake' every time i look at your signature... :banana:

-g

pdxmech13
02-29-2008, 11:39 PM
E durace is the new neuvo record jmoh :beer:

davids
03-01-2008, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the offer of davids's services (as well as the complement), but I broke down and hired a guy to keep my driveway plowed out for the winter. Since there is nowhere left to plow it except onto my lawn I have Mt Everest in my front yard --I may dust off my ice axe and crampons and see if my old body is still capable of ice climbing.
LewFMS,

Glad you've got your own guy. I've avoided this thread 'til now, and was feeling guilty once I heard from stevep. Whew.

As far as all this shiet... I am happy for all this innovation. STI was a major step forward, atmo, and I'm never going back to friction shifting. Ever. Not to mention all those other innovations stevep threw out. None of it changes the basic mechanical operation of the bicycle and, in fact, some of it helps minimize the intrusion of the marginal stuff - The fundamental experience revolves around spinning my legs and making the bike move forward. That's the good stuff. The easier it is to shift, the less I think about it and the less it interferes with the fundamental pleasure of flying along the road as if I was running at 25mph...

I've got concerns about complexity and reliability. I hate stuff that breaks. But that's true whether it's a steel rod or a radio transmitter.

So, yeah! Good for STI! Good for double tap! Good for attempts to make a multispeed drivetrain as smooth and transparent as possible! I'll withhold judgment on the electronic shifting until I get to ride it for a couple of hours.

dbrk
03-01-2008, 08:26 AM
The next time I index on the bars it'll be double tapmo.
Unless it's electronic.
;-) (friction modicoms rock my world)

dbrk

Ahneida Ride
03-01-2008, 10:12 AM
1.) How will E-shifting perform for those of us with mixed components.
I run a TA Crank and I need trim. :confused:

2.) I already carry around two battery packs for a front and rear DiNotte
light. Do I really want an additional battery pack to lug around
and keep charged? :confused:

vaxn8r
03-01-2008, 10:40 AM
Shifting was the best part of the 70's-80's gear. The hoods were 3cm long at best, ouchy on the hands, so you didn't use hoods much. Record brakes required gorilla forearms to actually stop the bike, but once you really engaged, you could do it. My feet were never so happy when I ditched my cleats and cages for Look clipless.

All this stuff was a real improvement for me. The shifting? It worked/works fine.

Blue Jays
03-01-2008, 10:49 AM
People had/have difficulty stopping bicycles with classic 1980's Campagnolo Nuovo Record brakes? I've ridden that equipment in the Rocky Mountains and never felt at a loss for braking power.

vaxn8r
03-01-2008, 11:03 AM
People had/have difficulty stopping bicycles with classic 1980's Campagnolo Nuovo Record brakes? I've ridden that equipment in the Rocky Mountains and never felt at a loss for braking power.
Speed modulators

Big Dan
03-01-2008, 11:05 AM
I remember adjusting those NR brakes...... :eek:

musgravecycles
03-01-2008, 01:21 PM
Snipped: How will E-shifting perform for those of us with mixed components. I run a TA Crank and I need trim. :confused:

eDA is supposed to trim itself...

jpw
03-03-2008, 04:05 AM
When do we see electric brakes?

Why not buy a robot (with built-in webcam) to take the bike for a spin and watch it all on the Apple TV?

stevep
03-03-2008, 06:03 AM
electronic will be great.
im waiting for the one that comes with voice.../
with a generalized phone operators voice...

bike.." hey, you used to go over this in the big ring, whasssup?"
me.." go screw yrself, im tired "
bike.. "ha, your wattage is down lately, whassup?"
me..." go fuul yrself, im in a recovery phase"
bike.." been as little too long for a recovery phase, no?"

michael white
03-03-2008, 07:47 AM
I still use old Campy on one bike. It sucks. It always did suck. Getting used to something doesn't mean it doesn't suck.

Material quality is out of this world compared to the latest crap, though.

davids
03-03-2008, 08:52 AM
electronic will be great.
im waiting for the one that comes with voice.../
with a generalized phone operators voice...

bike.." hey, you used to go over this in the big ring, whasssup?"
me.." go screw yrself, im tired "
bike.. "ha, your wattage is down lately, whassup?"
me..." go fuul yrself, im in a recovery phase"
bike.." been as little too long for a recovery phase, no?"Funny how much that sounds like you.

Mine would be like this:

bike: "Are you sure you're OK? Maybe you should take it easier?"
me: "No, I can do this. It's just a few hundred feet to the top."
bike: "I wish I had a lower gear for you. You're breathing pretty hard."
me: "Shut up. I can do this."
bike: "How about a short break?"

William
03-03-2008, 09:05 AM
Funny how much that sounds like you.

Mine would be like this:

bike: "Are you sure you're OK? Maybe you should take it easier?"
me: "No, I can do this. It's just a few hundred feet to the top."
bike: "I wish I had a lower gear for you. You're breathing pretty hard."
me: "Shut up. I can do this."
bike: "How about a short break?"

Mine would be more like:

bike: "Go faster. You're too effin slow?"
me: "Aren't going to shift into a lower gear, it's getting steep."
bike: "What!? Are you a wuss or something?"
me: "Eff you!."
bike: "Is the Wuss getting a back bone? Pedal harder tough guy!"

stevep
03-03-2008, 02:51 PM
vision pops into my head of william on the side of the road beating the living shiit out of his bike...
" but officer, the bike was giving me shiit!"
officer " sure son, we'll let you talk about it with the captain.."

and the bike whispers... " sucker" and then shuts up.

Mine would be more like:

bike: "Go faster. You're too effin slow?"
me: "Aren't going to shift into a lower gear, it's getting steep."
bike: "What!? Are you a wuss or something?"
me: "Eff you!."
bike: "Is the Wuss getting a back bone? Pedal harder tough guy!"