02-27-2008, 10:49 PM
They must not use pinned construction.

WE HAVE A WINNER

pdxmech13
02-27-2008, 10:59 PM
one pin was forgotten.

stevep
02-28-2008, 05:38 AM
crash into an unmoveable object on any bike* at some speed and the bike will be destroyed.

this should not be construed into a carbon breaks thread.

a steel bike would have severely bent in probably the same or similar places.

* some ti frames do have remarkable resilience and far more resistance than steel, carbon or aluminum ... but the fork would surely snap off.

sw3759
02-28-2008, 05:42 AM
jeez,that top tube could have impaled the poor guy...

bnewt07
02-28-2008, 05:59 AM
crash into an unmoveable object on any bike* at some speed and the bike will be destroyed.

a steel bike would have severely bent in probably the same or similar places.

* some ti frames do have remarkable resilience and far more resistance than steel, carbon or aluminum ... but the fork would surely snap off.

I crashed my Ti bike at some speed and severely crimped the tubes, as well as shatterring the fork. It can be done!

Too Tall
02-28-2008, 06:07 AM
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40098
In the spirit of nonpartisan participation:
http://calfeedesign.com/whitepaper9.htm

stevep
02-28-2008, 06:24 AM
I crashed my Ti bike at some speed and severely crimped the tubes, as well as shatterring the fork. It can be done!

no doubt.
i have seen ti bikes that were in big crashes that were undamaged though where anything else would have been destroyed.

William
02-28-2008, 06:35 AM

C'mon, carbon fiber is a notch under a Starbucks napkin in strength. I'll give you $8.25* for it.

William

* By accepting William's $8.25, I agree to a thirty day trial offer in WilliamVantage Enhanced and understand that the $89.99 semi-annual membership fee will automatically be charged to my credit card account unless I cancel my membership by calling 1-866-eat-me before the end of the trial offer period. I understand that I will also be charged every six months at the then-current fee and I can not cancel to avoid any future fees. I can't cancel at any time to receive a full refund of my fee, or anytime thereafter, and if I try, William will fit me with a new set of cement shoes."
;)

AgilisMerlin
02-28-2008, 06:38 AM
paypal only, sorry...................

stevep
02-28-2008, 07:00 AM
hey william,
i need you to go down to darrens house and pick up his sachs.
ill front you the $8.25 gas money when you get back.
see if you can pick up some spare wheels while yr there.
he takes sx 11 shoes if you wanna bring some shoes...but i though thay you custom fitted them mostly, no?

C'mon, carbon fiber is a notch under a Starbucks napkin in strength. I'll give you $8.25* for it.

William

* By accepting William's $8.25, I agree to a thirty day trial offer in WilliamVantage Enhanced and understand that the $89.99 semi-annual membership fee will automatically be charged to my credit card account unless I cancel my membership by calling 1-866-eat-me before the end of the trial offer period. I understand that I will also be charged every six months at the then-current fee and I can not cancel to avoid any future fees. I can't cancel at any time to receive a full refund of my fee, or anytime thereafter, and if I try, William will fit me with a new set of cement shoes."
;)

William
02-28-2008, 07:23 AM
hey william,
i need you to go down to darrens house and pick up his sachs.
ill front you the $8.25 gas money when you get back.
see if you can pick up some spare wheels while yr there.
he takes sx 11 shoes

if you wanna bring some shoes...but i though thay you custom fitted them mostly, no?

Done.
When swimmin' wit da fishes, only custom will do.

Leave the brown paper bag in the usual place.

William

Grant McLean
02-28-2008, 07:28 AM
jeez,that top tube could have impaled the poor guy...

i seriously doubt the rider was still aboard at that point.
when you slam into a car, you go flying through the air,
and your bike suddenly stops...

-g

H.Frank Beshear
02-28-2008, 07:51 AM
i seriously doubt the rider was still aboard at that point.
when you slam into a car, you go flying through the air,
and your bike suddenly stops...

-g

Personal observation Grant or the voice of experience ;)

Marcus Torino
02-28-2008, 08:14 AM
Flying through the air....like this?

ThasFACE
02-28-2008, 08:39 AM
Flying through the air....like this?

Sweet. Mercy.

Brutal.

Grant McLean
02-28-2008, 08:46 AM
Personal observation Grant or the voice of experience ;)

I've seen my share.... fortunately not from the handlebar postion! :)

It's always sad when a frame dies...

-g

davids
02-28-2008, 08:59 AM

-gI like the funereal lighting.

...As far as that Specialized. Am I the only one who noticed the little sizing sticker was still on the frame? I think that may have contributed to the failure.

avalonracing
02-28-2008, 09:58 AM
It worked as it was intended. Specialized's patented "Crumple Zone" took most of the impact.

gt6267a
02-28-2008, 10:10 AM
not a person here would want to ride a bike that was designed to handle the impact of a serious crash. design for riding. if you don't want a bike thrashed in a crash ... "and there is tyler in a ditch ... i don't know what is wrong with that dude, he's asleep at the wheel ... i say just look forward" or whatever that lance quote is.

Ozz
02-28-2008, 10:20 AM
anyone here ever see the video of Eric Barone setting the moutain bike speed record riding down the side of a volcano....and his bike breaks in half (http://video.aol.com/video-detail/mountain-bike-world-speed-record-video/498790360)?

wow....

William
02-28-2008, 10:26 AM
anyone here ever see the video of Eric Barone setting the moutain bike speed record riding down the side of a volcano....and his bike breaks in half (http://video.aol.com/video-detail/mountain-bike-world-speed-record-video/498790360)?

wow....

Yup. I feel for him man. :bike:

William

bigbill
02-28-2008, 12:18 PM
I like the funereal lighting.

...As far as that Specialized. Am I the only one who noticed the little sizing sticker was still on the frame? I think that may have contributed to the failure.

I think that the likely contributor was using a UT crankset without the half circle retaining clip on the drive side. I have heard that not installing it will cause your bike to burst into flames but I guess breakage could occur as well.

jnusbaum
02-28-2008, 06:02 PM
It worked as it was intended. Specialized's patented "Crumple Zone" took most of the impact.

Don't you mean the "Specialized Body Geometry Crumple Zone!" :beer:

dvs cycles
02-28-2008, 06:19 PM
I've seen my share.... fortunately not from the handlebar postion! :)

-gSaw pictures of a Pinarello that looked like that at CyclArt this week. They fixed it up and looked better than new. I'm sure it wasn't cheap though.