PDA

View Full Version : Credit card companies are the new Cigarette companies

William
02-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Amazing. We received a "check" in the mail from Chase Bank (marked on the envelope) in the amount of $8.25. In the small print on the back of the check :

"By cashing this check I agree to a thirty day trial offer in AutoVantage Enhanced and understand that the $89.99 semi-annual membership fee will automatically be charged to my Chase credit card account unless I cancel my membership by calling 1-866-584-2456 before the end of the trial offer period. I understand that I will also be charged every six months at the then-current fee and must cancel to avoid future fee. I can cancel during the first six months to receive a full refund of my fee, or anytime thereafter, and receive a refund of the unused portion of the current fee."

What do I get for $8.25...uhh...I mean my $89.99 (every six months)? Why I'll be eligible to receive 2% cash back on my first $5,000 of new purchases ( after I submit my receipts at the end of the year.

Read a little deeper and you'll find it's not even Chase bank that sent it, it's a company called Trilegiant (with permission from Chase).

Imho, credit card companies have jumped ahead of the cigarette companies as the devil. :butt:

William

PS: If I wasn't a notch above a dolt, I would cash my free $8.25*. I'm heading to BD's and need a twelver of Near Beer.

csm
02-27-2008, 07:04 PM
I had one like that that I don't know how I was signed up for. I cancelled the card as a result of it. doubt the card company cares.

DarrenCT
02-27-2008, 07:27 PM
beware of the fineprintmo

stevep
02-27-2008, 07:36 PM
moral of the story.
never take anything for nothing.

nothing is free.
everythings a scam.

DarrenCT
02-27-2008, 07:37 PM
moral of the story.

nothing is free.
everythings a scam.

want some free dogfish head beer?

davids
02-27-2008, 07:58 PM
moral of the story.

nothing is free.
everythings a scam.Why didn't you tell me this before I signed up for your Free Cinderblock offer?

wc1934
02-27-2008, 08:58 PM
"nothing ain't worth nothing but it's free" - Janice Joplin

Grant McLean
02-27-2008, 09:00 PM
nothing is free.

this is a true story:

we're at sunday dinner in a local restaurant: me, my sister & her husband, their two kids,
and my mom.

At the end of the meal, the kids (7 and 9) are running out of gas.
My sister says, let's forget the the desert, and go. My mom leans over
to the little one, and asks: "are you sure you don't want your desert, it comes
with the kids meal, so it's free"
The little one looks right at my mom, and announces "Grandma, NOTHING is free"
Needless to says, everyone looked at her dad...

-g

pdxmech13
02-27-2008, 10:56 PM
cig companies wish they had lawyers as thorough as the CC ind.

stevep
02-28-2008, 05:30 AM
Why didn't you tell me this before I signed up for your Free Cinderblock offer?

i know, i know
through the cars windshield was not the best place to deliver them...
ill talk to roman meal about that.
about the "first month free" cassettes lease? william is coming up today... you at work all day? he has some new nunchucks that he's looking to test.

darren.
in this case ill make an exception.
ill give you roman meals credit card number..you can buy new tires for yr car
(there's a 4 for the price of 3 special at sears)*

* my line jerk. i owe you nothing.

DarrenCT
02-28-2008, 07:28 AM
darren.
in this case ill make an exception.
ill give you roman meals credit card number..you can buy new tires for yr car
(there's a 4 for the price of 3 special at sears)*

terrific.

im going to open up the 6pack and pour all the beer into an empty 2 liter of mountain dew for safety.

its shipping ups ground

the tracking # 1Z6969696912346969

Steelhead
02-28-2008, 08:18 AM
Go cash the check and then wait 72 hours, call the 800-number and cancel the program. I get those things regularly and do it 3-4 times per year and take the money to the bike shop for tubes, etc... :)

But you gotta remember to call and cancel - I always put a reminder in my Blackberry with the phone number so I can dial right from the reminder and cut it off.