PDA

View Full Version : saw new ultegra 10 today

Climb01742
08-27-2004, 06:20 PM
i was in my LBS after work and saw a frame sporting the new ultegra 10. a few quick impressions: crank looks like normal shimano crank, nothing like DA 10 crank. hoods look exactly like DA 10. general appearance of the group, while nice, doesn't look at polished, or jewel-like, or quite as refined as DA. which makes sense. the DA 10-like shifter hoods is a big plus, i think. they're one of the features i like best about the DA 10. sorry, forgot to ask about pricing.

Bill Bove
08-27-2004, 08:13 PM
We need more information here, Climb. Where did you see it? Belmont? What bike was it on? Was it a complete bike or were there some '04 pieces on it too? All my Reps tell me I will see Ultegra 10 in October with a Dura Ace type crank/BB. New style triples will be available in Jan.

Knowing how you like new and different things, I installed a pair of the Stronglight cranks with the slot in the arms on my Legend yesterday. I do not notice them to any less stiff than any other crank I've used. They are very, very light but you can't really feel a difference with lighter parts down here. They do look way cool. No, they look wicked pissa awesome.
Duane Ingalls Glasscock for president!

Climb01742
08-28-2004, 07:51 AM
bill, the group was on a (i'll whisper this...) seven. it looked like a complete group, but i didn't examine it in the smallest detail so i may have missed something. yes, at belmont. i think seven dropped off complete bike. interestingly, it was their altaris (sp?) frame. guess if it had been a new DA group, they'd have hung it on a elium. about crank...it definitely wasn't DA 10 looking crank. looked like DA 9-type. so maybe it was a mix of '04+'05. i was there buying my daughter and her buddies lance bracelets (keeping the faith, bill!). man amongst the seven-year-olds around here, you can't be cool w/o a lance bracelet! :banana:

MallyG
08-28-2004, 09:03 AM
They are sooooooo in demand here in the UK. When I was riding l'Etape I saw them being sold at the pre-race village. I bought 60 bracelets and gave them all to all the people who sponsored me (I was riding for a Cancer Charity). My kids also think they are the coolest things on earth!

Jeff N.
08-28-2004, 01:10 PM
here in San Diego, Lance yellow bracelets are a fashion statement as well! Jeff N.

Climb01742
08-28-2004, 03:39 PM
see how many olympic athletes have them on? tons. even lots of non-american athletes. that yellow really pops on TV. glad they've been such a success and raised so much money.

davids
08-28-2004, 07:11 PM
here in San Diego, Lance yellow bracelets are a fashion statement as well! Jeff N.
Sitting shiva at my in-laws, I met a 70-year-old wearing one!

MallyG
08-29-2004, 10:01 AM
Sure he wasn't a colour-blind member of the Kabbalah Centre???

Marron
08-30-2004, 01:54 PM
see how many olympic athletes have them on? tons. even lots of non-american athletes. that yellow really pops on TV. glad they've been such a success and raised so much money.

I was at a Kerry rally on Saturday and he was still wearing one.

davids
08-30-2004, 04:43 PM
Sure he wasn't a colour-blind member of the Kabbalah Centre???
My guess is that she is a cancer survivor... Very cool and inspiring to see non-bikies wearing these! :D

Keith A
08-30-2004, 05:09 PM
Check out this piece from the LAF.org website...

================================================== ========
"Once the campaign began last May, the LAF has sold approximately 10 million LIVESTRONG™ wristbands. We are thrilled to have the support of 10 million wristband-wearers across the U.S. and all over the world. At his homecoming celebration in Austin, Texas on August 13th, Lance thanked LAF supporters for wearing yellow and said, "I'm never taking mine off."

LIVESTRONG™ wristbands are available for purchase now. Due to very high demand, it will take approximately 3 weeks to receive your wristbands. It is important to buy your wristband on our Web site instead of an auction Web site. A person who buys a wristband on an auction Web site will pay more and wait just as long. Additionally, the extra cost will not benefit the LAF.

Wait in our line instead of theirs. Make sure your money helps people living with cancer."
================================================== ========

Then go search on eBay for "livestrong" and you will get almost 3K hits. Crazy people paying more than $20 for one youth size wrist band. One person paid $1K for 300 of the wristbands and some schmo made $600 profit. :mad:

Sure, it's a free market society, but it just gets to me when you see people taking advantage of the situation. This was a great thing that LAF did to help support cancer research for our youth, and I think all those that have made money of their eBay sales of the wristband should send all of the profit to LAF!

davep
08-30-2004, 09:19 PM
I bought 30 of the bands from LAF in July to give to friends. My sister-in-law was wearing one at work and was asked by coworkers about it, since they had tried to get some but the bands were back ordered. Since she knew I had some extras, she sold them to her coworkers for $20 each. I, of course, sent the money to LAF. Good money to a good cause.