PDA

View Full Version : For anyone who cares - a few Austria/mountain pics

saab2000
02-27-2008, 11:44 AM
I am in some of these. So is my sister and bro-in-law and another in-law. The one is from the old East Germany (DDR) and actually spent time in jail once for trying to escape. He lives life to the fullest. Never stops smiling and laughing. Doesn't speak a word of English.

As I have mentioned, I am a newbie on the skis. I love the whole thing though! The mountains are great! The atmosphere, the lifts, the food, the challenge of skiing, etc. I really get it!

I am also thankful because without my job and the flight benefits I would never be able to do this. (Of course, if I had another job I would probably earn more and be able to do it anyway....) I borrowed the skis and boots from my brother-in-law and bought them from him, so I am now set for myself for the little hills in Michigan!

Back now in the US and got my missing bag back this morning. Yay.

BTW, the snow cover in the Alps is very thin. They have been having year after year of mild winters and that is not good for the business of skiing. What they need is about a decade of brutally hard winters with tons of snow. That would put a half inch back onto the glaciers..... :no:

Enjoy!

PS - The last one is of me chowing down on Apfel Strudel!!! It's awesome!!! :banana:

gdw
02-27-2008, 11:55 AM
Austria and the Alps are really beautiful. Is that a half empty bottle of Slivovitz on the table?

csm
02-27-2008, 11:57 AM
stockl skis? they are quite the score. I've tried them in a slalom ski.

saab2000
02-27-2008, 12:00 PM
Austria and the Alps are really beautiful. Is that a half empty bottle of Slivovitz on the table?

I am obviously biased to the Swiss Alps, but the mountains don't really know boundaries. Only people do. Of course, some of the boundaries are physical, like mountains, etc. We were about 20 KM from Italy near the glacier pic.

As far as the bottle? I am not sure. I was 'forced' to drink one shot of the stuff. It is a kind of Schnapps, but I have no idea what kind. My poison is generally beer and occasionally wine.

The only time I drink anything else is if someone buys it and/or places it in front of me, which is what happened with the Schnapps and one 'Flying Hirsch', which is something mixed with Jägermeister and is definitely bad news!!! :D

With my cold I have had about 5 days to detoxify and I feel much better! :D

J.Greene
02-27-2008, 12:02 PM
Looks like an awesome trip. There is some healthy envy here.

JG

jpw
02-27-2008, 12:02 PM
Yes the Alps are suffering more and more as each year passes. The lower altitude resorts are getting worried for their economic futures. I was in Chamonix which sits in the shadow of Mont Blanc (highest mountain in Europe) and still the glaciers there are retreating quite quickly.

EVERYONE needs to dump their cars and jump on bikes right now or the game is up! I wonder if Serotta would be willing to go 'mass'?

saab2000
02-27-2008, 12:08 PM
Looks like an awesome trip. There is some healthy envy here.

JG

The grass is always greener! I would also have loved a week on the bike in Florida! Someday I need you to show me where the good riding there is. I will need a break from the midwestern winter doldrums for a week of sunny riding in January!