PDA

View Full Version : OT - those crazy airline pilots

Ozz
02-26-2008, 12:57 PM
This would have been cool to see:

777 pilot fired for buzzing airport (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2004203734_cathay26.html)

too bad it cost him his job!

WadePatton
02-26-2008, 01:18 PM
That's why I'm not a pilot. too many rules. :banana:

gt6267a
02-26-2008, 01:19 PM
The 777-300 ER is 242 feet long, weighs around 350 tons and is 61 feet 5 inches high at the tail. It lists for $264 million.

nice msrp. do you get a bentley with that?

WadePatton
02-26-2008, 01:24 PM
The 777-300 ER is 242 feet long, weighs around 350 tons and is 61 feet 5 inches high at the tail. It lists for $264 million.

nice msrp. do you get a bentley with that?
SAVE MILLIONS!

They're have a Spring Sales Event at you Local Boeing dealer, hurry on down and get your Factory Direct Rebate with Cash Back and Low.lower rate financing. Offer ends soon. :bike:

johnnymossville
02-26-2008, 01:26 PM
Oh well. That is a darn good looking plane though.

GregL
02-26-2008, 01:33 PM
Apparently, it was a tradition for Cathay pilots to perform a fly-by when taking delivery of a new Boeing. The company CEO was on the flight in question and had no objections at the time. However, a video of the fly-by made it to the internet and the Hong Kong civil aviation authorities started an investigation. While the fly-by was authorized by local air traffic control, it was not pre-approved by the airline. Since it violated company policy, the pilot was made a "sacrificial lamb" to keep the company out of trouble with Hong Kong's version of the FAA.

My take: the "incident" was overblown in the press. The fly-by took place over a long runway, the airspeed was never that high (probably ~200-250 knots - note the flaps are still partially extended and angle of attack is fairly high), and the pilot had ATC permission. If this incident hadn't been taped and photographed, the pilot would likely have gotten off with a warning not to do it again.

Regards,

Greg

Ozz
02-26-2008, 01:37 PM
Oh well. That is a darn good looking plane though.
The 777 is a good looking plane....it actually looks much smaller than it really is....nice lines.

Note the "Dreamliner" cargo plane in the background.....used for hauling fuselage parts to the assembly plant (also in background, worlds largest building ;) ). Reminds me of the "Guppy" plane used for hauling parts of the the Saturn V rocket....

johnnymossville
02-26-2008, 01:43 PM
The 777 is a good looking plane....it actually looks much smaller than it really is....nice lines.

Note the "Dreamliner" cargo plane in the background.....used for hauling fuselage parts to the assembly plant (also in background, worlds largest building ;) ). Reminds me of the "Guppy" plane used for hauling parts of the the Saturn V rocket....

My all-time favorite though is the 747. When I'm at an airport and walk by the observation windows, the 747 never fails to impress me with it's well proportioned lines and that graceful hump up front. It just looks right.

While the Airbus 380 is a marvel, (Sheer Size Mostly) it is severely lacking in runway appeal.

Ozz
02-26-2008, 01:49 PM
My all-time favorite though is the 747.....
agreed....it's amazing that the 747 is a 40 year old design....it still looks good. It is made in plant shown above also, along with the 767 and new 787.

I grew up about a mile from plant (Mukilteo) and drove past it everyday on my way to school. The highway goes right past the end of the runway...when we would see a plane coming, we would time it so the plane would be right overhead (50ft??) as we went past. :p Goofy kids....

johnnymossville
02-26-2008, 01:54 PM
agreed....it's amazing that the 747 is a 40 year old design....it still looks good. It is made in plant shown above also, along with the 767 and new 787.

I grew up about a mile from plant (Mukilteo) and drove past it everyday on my way to school. The highway goes right past the end of the runway...when we would see a plane coming, we would time it so the plane would be right overhead (50ft??) as we went past. :p Goofy kids....

LOL, I would do the same thing when I lived in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia near Langley AFB. The stealths flying right over my car was so cool.

sg8357
02-26-2008, 01:54 PM
Cathy Pacific is a bunch of spoilsports.

The Gold Cup Roll, pilot Tex Johnson of the 707 Prototype.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/boeing-707-roll-by-test-pilot-tex-johnson/1133613816

Of course a test pilot named Tex Johnson, would never get past the
script police for a movie, too stereotyped.

Zero Percent APR for well qualified buyers, meaning anyone the Emirates.

Ozz
02-26-2008, 02:05 PM
...The Gold Cup Roll, pilot Tex Johnson of the 707 Prototype.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/boeing-707-roll-by-test-pilot-tex-johnson/1133613816....

Boeing would never officially admit it( ;) ), but that stunt sold a lot of airplanes....IIRCC, the "Boeing Box" at Seafair was full of airline execs when "Tex" did the roll....."yeah, baby...our planes can fly!" :beer:

BumbleBeeDave
02-26-2008, 02:08 PM
I looked at the photo at first and thought he was landing with no gear. Looked like the end of the runway beneath him.

I lived in suburban Chicago in LaGrange Park, right under the main south approach to O'Hare, when I was a kid in the late 60's when the 747 went into service. I still remember how we would gawk at them as they flew over because they seemed to beee gooooing soooo slooooow. I wondered why they didn't fall out of the sky . . .

BBD

Louis
02-26-2008, 02:23 PM
ha - commercial stuff - Boooooring

Avispa
02-26-2008, 03:24 PM
Hey,

Easy boys, that was our own saab, he was bored an upset he has not been riding! :D :D

..A..

Ozz
02-26-2008, 03:50 PM
Hey,

Easy boys, that was our own saab, he was bored an upset he has not been riding! :D :D

..A..
He was talking to Cathay Pacific, iirc.....I've heard there's an opening. :cool:

chuckred
02-26-2008, 04:07 PM
[QUOTE=Ozz]agreed....it's amazing that the 747 is a 40 year old design....it still looks good. QUOTE]

The 707 is also one great looking plane!

JohnS
02-26-2008, 08:17 PM
My favorite is the 757. Long legs, big t*ts, and skinny waist...also the best takeoff performance of anything flying now.