PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a stem

TimD
08-27-2004, 08:08 AM
I'm looking for a new stem with 34mm stack height (or less) and greater than +/-10 degree angle.

Cinelli Solido, various TTT, various ITM, and Deda Newton offer 34mm stack height but are +/-10 degrees.

I'd prefer not to go adjustable, although ITM has a new one with a very clean design. I'd also prefer not to go with welded Ti, because I don't like the look.

Suggestions? Thanks!

TimD

Serotta PETE
08-27-2004, 04:07 PM
Tim,,,,is there a reason that you want to get higher than 10 degrees. Based on lenght of stem, this could really change the handling of the bike. Suggestion would be to double check with some one like Smiley on the need for such a rise and the impact of using a stem with that rise.

DBRK and others can recommend a custom stem mft. Kirk and Vanilla I think both make nice stems.

Good luck PETE

TimD
08-27-2004, 07:18 PM
Pete, thanks for your reply.

I'm running a 120mm +10 stem on my stock 61cm Peg Marcelo. Saddle to bar drop is over 6cm; I'd like it to be 3-4cm.

The steerer is uncut, yet I'm out of steerer with a King headset, no spacers, and a 34mm stack height stem. Adding spacers to get a meaningful increase in bar height doesn't seem like a good plan. The stems I have seen with +/-17 angle have 37-42mm stack height; I could use one of these and tolerate some clamp above the top of the steerer but that doesn't seem like a good plan either.

A 130mm +10 stem would be an improvement, but it would provide less than a 1cm increase in bar height. Going to a 140mm stem might make the Jerk happy but the reach would probably be more than I'd like - and I'm running a straight seatpost now.

Obviously custom is the way to go but that's not in the cards right now, and I like the frame otherwise. If Smiley has an opinion I'm happy to listen!

Meanwhile I'll check out what Kirk and Vanilla offer - thanks.

TimD