PDA

View Full Version : Sunglasses Recommendations...

oldguy00
02-26-2008, 07:12 AM
Need some help with sunglasses...
I usually wear Specialized helmets. I wear a small/medium helmet, and it sits fairly low on my noggin'. I find a lot of sunglasses I try, the arms will hit the helmet.
How do you guys put your glasses on, arms under or over the helmet straps? And which sunglasses would have arms that fit fairly snug, and angle downward towards their ends??
thx!

Ti Designs
02-26-2008, 07:17 AM
I go with ZZ Top's advice...

alancw3
02-26-2008, 07:58 AM
under straps. mirror lens dollar store wire rimmed glasses work well for me. i wear contacts so i find the mirrored lens work in bright sun and when the clouds pass. i have given up spending a lot of money on sunglasses as they inevitably get scratched.

avalonracing
02-26-2008, 08:08 AM
Over the straps. That is why many sports glasses are designed with the flare in the stems.
It also makes them easier to clean while riding.
You don't have to spend a mint on glasses but I would never buy junk. It's your eyes, you need to protect them.

I have a half dozen pair of Oakelys that I use casually, on the bike and on the motorcycle. I also have two pair of Rudy Project for the bike. Yes, it is a decent amount of money but again, it's my eyes, to see as well as possible and protect them it is worth it.

myette10
02-26-2008, 08:43 AM
+ 1

after several years of spending large $$$ on glasses, I realized that they added little to my performance and much to my dismay when they were invariably lost or destroyed.

regularguy412
02-26-2008, 08:54 AM
Always put mine on OVER the straps. I guess the combined shape of my head and where the helmet straps fall makes it just feel better that way. I didn't like the way the straps pressed the ear pieces into my head.

I've tried Oakleys -- not a huge fan. I started using Smiths in 1996 and have been very pleased. You _can_ buy expensive Smiths, but it's not necessary. I have a $50 pair that's now going on it's third year, a pair from 1998 and a pair from 1996 that refuse to die ( these are now the lawn mowing pair).

Mike in AR

Nil Else
02-26-2008, 10:38 AM
After reading your post I put on the lowest fitting helmet (Bell Sweep R) out of all the ones I have and tried all my sunglasses. I guess I could see the problem.

Of them (Tifosi pave, Cat-1 Prologue, Briko Sprinter, Rudy Project: Ekynox SX, Kaylo, Sportmask, and an old Smith's Greg Lemond style pair) I'd say Ekynox SX would be the snuggest and have the most adjustable arm ends. They are extremely secure and snug fitting, i.e., if you adjust the nose piece and arm ends correctly and of course you need to have cooperative noggin.

With Rudys you want the ones like the Ekynox SX with black rubberized arm ends (see the pic) which you can bend anyway you want. It seems they are on sale but you might be able to find them even lower.

check it out: http://www.e-rudy.com/index_inner_all.php?group_id=5

You need to try them. That's, obviously, the best way like saddles. If I were you I'd order a few candidates from places like Performance or Rudy's with good return policy and check it out.

Blue Jays
02-26-2008, 10:44 AM
Rudy Project Ekynox SX sunglasses with prescription lenses have been fantastic.
Can't say enough positive things about them as they are form-fitting beneath a helmet, reduce tearing, and experience virtually no fogging thanks to the integrated vents. Great cycling investment.

george
02-26-2008, 11:32 AM
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/

This is an online outlet mall. They sell higher end stuff. All items are clearly labeled as closeouts, overstock, 2nds, or cosmetic blems. I have purchased many sunglasses from the site Julbo and Puma are my favorites... they also sell bicycle jerseys, wheels, and componets...check it out :)

1centaur
02-26-2008, 11:46 AM
Under straps - it's the only way you can be sure your glasses won't get pulled off (and go flying) if you remove your helmet first. Straps should not be so tight they squeeze your glasses against your head. Use the adjuster at the back of the helmet to keep it from moving around.

bnewt07
02-26-2008, 11:51 AM
Rudy Project Rydons have super bendy arms that you can fit snugly and tilt every which way. They do a great selection of interchangeable lenses and even the standard ones seem remarkably resistant to scratches. Can take a prescription insert too if you want-works well enough. I use mine for all my biking and for sport too.

soulspinner
02-26-2008, 01:49 PM

Me too. Ray Bans and Hugo Boss fer the car. Cheap on the bike-gone through too many pairs cycling-lost, dropped/crashed, stuck in my jersy,gets disgusting... cheap and light work on the bike,

Larry D
02-26-2008, 02:03 PM
I mainly use my Oakley M frames for cycling. I have a pair of Rudy Projects, but like the fit and feel of the Oakley's better.

The new Giro Haviks look and feel very good. Will give them a try this summer.

coopdog
02-26-2008, 02:14 PM
I like Tifosi. I have two pairs with interchangeable lenses, and I change them often. They are also frameless on the sides so it is easier for me to see out the corner of my eye.

Cdub
02-26-2008, 03:28 PM
I use Oakley Radar and love them. They are very light, interchanging lens etc. Before that I used Smith. Also good, but they now help mow the lawn.

I wear them over my straps. I like to wear my helmet strap tight, so feel it is uncomfortable to ride with the arms under.