PDA

View Full Version : Shoe Recommendations: Thin Carbon Sole for speedplay pedals

gianni
02-25-2008, 07:23 PM
I'm finally upgrading my shoes and am looking for advice.

I'm looking for shoe recommendations to minimize the pedal stack using speedplay pedals.

I know that Lake and Rocket 7 make speedplay specific soles, but am soliciting feedback from other speedplay users.

Any ideas?

I would love to bypass the typ look 3-bolt connection.

02-25-2008, 07:42 PM
I don't think there's anything thinner than the Lake CX-400 Speedplay version. (I don't think there could be, given how thin the carbon sole is.) Most so-called carbon soles are a carbon fabric laminate over a foam or plastic core, but virtually all the strength comes from the laminate. Here, all there is is laminate. Great shoes. I wouldn't bother to look elsewhere unless they can't fit you.

Louis
02-25-2008, 07:46 PM
Gianni,

If you're trying to get your foot as low as possible you might want to consider this (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=451844&postcount=78)

Dave liked them.

Louis

SWorks4me
02-25-2008, 08:07 PM
second season on speedplays...love them.

Shoes? what else, but Sworks and Specialized road Pro

bluto
02-25-2008, 08:11 PM
has a great article on Carbon soled shoes. The article covers everything from stack height (Adidas Ultra has the thinnest at .216") to comparison stiffness tests.

But seriously, check it out....i was pleasantly surprised to see the results and saw that my current shoe (Specialized S-Works) ranks right alongside, if not higher than those shoes that cost hundreds more.

Fyi, Lake finished near the back of the pack in stack height (.414"), comfort, and lack of stiffness. Which I've heard is NOT a good thing.....

I doubt i'll ever ride anything else besides Specialized shoes from here on out.

02-25-2008, 10:33 PM
has a great article on Carbon soled shoes. The article covers everything from stack height (Adidas Ultra has the thinnest at .216") to comparison stiffness tests.

But seriously, check it out....i was pleasantly surprised to see the results and saw that my current shoe (Specialized S-Works) ranks right alongside, if not higher than those shoes that cost hundreds more.

Fyi, Lake finished near the back of the pack in stack height (.414"), comfort, and lack of stiffness. Which I've heard is NOT a good thing.....

I doubt i'll ever ride anything else besides Specialized shoes from here on out.

The review was relevant only for the particular models tested. There's a lot of difference between a CX-330 and a -400. You can't extrapolate past the particular model -- it's like comparing a Sidi Genius 3 to a Sidi Ergo 2 Carbon.

thejen12
02-26-2008, 10:47 AM
second season on speedplays...love them.

Shoes? what else, but Sworks and Specialized road Pro
+1

Jenn