PDA

View Full Version : OT: Digital Camera Forum Recommendations

Peter P.
02-25-2008, 06:37 PM
I need a recommendation for a digital camera forum so I can post a question. Is there one out there that has members as wonderful as ya'll? Not likely, but I'll settle for something close.

And, just in case someone here knows the answer, I'll post my camera question here:

I just bought a new Canon camera. On the box, it says Mac OS 10.3 or 10.4 is required.

I'm running OS 10.1.5, and iPhoto 1.

Before I break any software seals and render the camera unreturnable, I'm wondering if the camera will be compatible with my iMac? Any guesses? I was under the impression the computer will merely view the camera as another drive, and since the photos are in .jpeg format, the computer should have no problem working with the camera. Or, am I making this too simple?

Upgrading the OS is not an option for me; I don't have the internal DVD drive required.

avalonracing
02-25-2008, 06:50 PM
dpreview.com or fredmiranda.com should be able to help you out.

As a fellow Mac user I would recommend upgrading your OS and iPhoto. You'll appreciate it in the long (and short) run.

legacysti888
02-25-2008, 06:54 PM
Which mac cpu are you using currently? More RAM will be most helpful as well. And a calibrated monitor set at Gamma 2.2 and 65K.

BumbleBeeDave
02-25-2008, 06:57 PM
. . . and I'd bet it's that software that requires the newer OS. I haven't seen any standard digital camera yet that didn't have a USB connector and just show up as another drive on the desktop. I'm fairly sure you could get your photos off of the camera, but wouldn't be able to use whatever extra software--editing, archiving, etc.--came with the camera.

BBD

Nil Else
02-25-2008, 07:12 PM
Try downloading the software from Canon website. That way you don't have to open the software package. They have most of the softwares available online.

stevep
02-25-2008, 07:23 PM
you can also ask questions on the canon website.
i have several times. theyll get back to you next day at least.
s

cleavel
02-25-2008, 09:13 PM
dpreview.com or fredmiranda.com should be able to help you out.

As a fellow Mac user I would recommend upgrading your OS and iPhoto. You'll appreciate it in the long (and short) run.

Hi,

+1 on dpreview.com

A lot of traffic over there. Maybe too much. :rolleyes:

Skrawny
02-26-2008, 06:04 PM
I just bought a new Canon camera.

Then I guess nikonians.org is out...

Peter P.
02-26-2008, 06:13 PM
Thanks for all the pertinent advise! Because of it, I was up and running with no problems.

BumbleBee Dave-you were right, and I only cracked the package open after reading your reaffirmation that the camera would probably show up as a drive. Well, it didn't show up as a drive, but it DID appear on iPhoto right away and downloading was almost intuitive.

Nil Else and stevep-It wouldn't have occurred to me to check the Canon web site until after you two suggested it, but their support pages answered my questions such that I was almost assured my camera would work with my old OS.

I'll keep the web site forum suggestions as well.

Thanks again, now back to bike stuff!

Skrawny
02-26-2008, 06:20 PM
but seriously...

The best way to transfer images to your computer from a digital camera is through a card reader and then reformat the card in your camera to erase them; nevertheless, you are correct that the computer should read your camera as just peripheral storage media.

If you take JPEGs then you can use any program to store/catalog/edit that you want. If you shoot in RAW format, things get a little more complicated, but I gather you'll start out in JPEG...
-s

Skrawny
02-26-2008, 06:21 PM
...oops, too late...