PDA

View Full Version : Recovery from Pneumonia.

GoJavs
02-25-2008, 04:41 PM
So, I'm 4 days removed from a hospital stay for streptococcal pneumonia. Still out of breath all the time, still have pounding headaches, etc...

I've been told recovery could be 2-3 weeks easily. I'm assuming I might be out of the saddle outright until the 1st of April. Today, a customer of mine (who's had pneumonia 5 times!) told me it could take a lot longer than that.

Thoughts? Experiences?

How do I prevent this from happening again? BTW - this is my second. I had bronchial pneumonia as a kid.

Any secrets to amping up my immune system to make myself bulletproof? :rolleyes:

Likely source of critters: I've got a 7 yr old and a 4 yr old that bring all kinds of things home from school, especially during the Spring.

Ozz
02-25-2008, 04:50 PM
My brother.....I feel your pain.....green tea seems to help me. :beer:

Ray
02-25-2008, 04:58 PM
My brother.....I feel your pain.....green tea seems to help me. :beer:
I had pneumonia twice, both times when I was quite young - late teens and early 20s. Mostly from not taking care of myself. Getting sick, STILL not taking care of myself, etc, etc, etc. Viral in both cases, not strep. I haven't had it since because I learned how to take care of myself. No idea about strep - it it hits you, I'm not sure how much your immune system can fight it off. Count yourself lucky that they were able to treat it and don't rush the recovery. When I had the less severe version, it was quite a while until I really felt like myself again. At least a month, probably more. And I had a lot more in the tank back then.

Good luck,

-Ray

Ahneida Ride
02-25-2008, 05:53 PM
I had it twice. Second time bad back in 94.

If it were not for antibiotics, well .... I could feel myself drowning.

Best advice is just to take it easy and come back slow.
Figure 4-6 weeks to some sort of reduced normalcy.

Thank God you are alive. ;)

Elefantino
02-25-2008, 06:26 PM
It sucks but yes, unless you have 20-something powers of healing, figure on 4 to 6 weeks of non-saddle time. And when you get back on the bike you it will take a while to recover.

You'll be OK. Take care in the meantime.

Kirk007
02-25-2008, 06:30 PM
Agree with all the above. Consider the vaccination after you recover. Maybe not a silver bullet, but for me at least I'm hoping it helps (2 timer myself).

And speaking of vaccinations, my wife has whooping cough! It's awful. Our Doc's recommending getting revaccinated next time a tetanus booster is due.

GoJavs
02-25-2008, 06:52 PM
I appreciate all the great replies. I'm definitely not a youngster anymore (37) so I expect my body will take its sweet time to bounce back.

Meanwhile, I'm expecting this will be a lesson in patience and perseverance.

First thing I have to do is find myself a better doctor. Mine turned out to be scary bad.

thanks again.

Fixed
02-25-2008, 06:57 PM
bro 37 you'r strong like a bull just rest untill you can't stand it any longer then you'll be ready listen to your body i bet it takes less time than you think
imho

Blue Jays
02-25-2008, 07:09 PM
You'll probably be pretty buffed once the pneumonia has run its course and you haven't eaten anything in a week! Good luck and feel better soon.

SWorks4me
02-25-2008, 07:50 PM
1st time was 2 years ago at age 34. Could not have come at a worse time. Beginning of June as the season and fitness were peaking. I even rode the first half of the KS state crits with it, until I had to pull out because i couldn't swallow my water and was getting dizzy. Went to the Doc the next day, and he said, good news, bad news. Bad news, you have Pneumonia. The good news is we can treat it with anti-biotics. Well, that is a death sentence to a cyclist. I was laid up for a good 5 weeks. I would run out of gas walking upstairs to my bedroom. I think I rushed things a bit. So error on the side of caution and just take it completely off. Relax, and yes, the green tea is a great soother and healer.
Good luck with the recovery!

Ken Robb
02-26-2008, 01:14 AM
I got it in Basic Training when I was 23 and FIT. I spent a week in hospital and then was sent home for Xmas leave of 2.5 weeks. This was the first time I could understand being sick enough to die. My second week of leave I took my baby sister for her first ski trip. I came home pretty tired and lay down on the sofa for a nap before dinner. I woke up 26 hours later---still tired.

Take it very easy. Good luck. :beer: