PDA

View Full Version : Help Deciding about Track Wheels

Sasha18
02-25-2008, 02:34 PM
Based upon knowledge gleaned from this forum, I bought a track frame two months ago - An EAI Nessuno Bareknuckle. Now I'm trying to decide what to do about wheels. I'm on a tight budget. As luck would have it, I came across some nice wheels being unloaded by a retired racer. Here's what I have to work with:

1 Suntour Sprint front hub, 1 Mavic tubular rim (unlaced, were crashed but seem to be in fine shape)
2 rear wheels with suntour sprint hubs and mavic tubular rims
1 front wheel with suntour sprint hub and Araya Red rim
[all 32h]

The rims have only been ridden on the track, no wear on the braking surface. The tires, I think, have lots of life left, but they will need to be reglued. The hubs are very smooth and apparently well cared for. The spokes, on one of the rear wheels, have some signs of significant wear, possibly rust.

I'm looking for a solid set of beginner wheels. At this point, I really only need one set. A friend of mine wants to buy a pair of these wheels for a vintage suntour project he's working on. I could easily reassign the money to building a better set of wheels or paying race entry fees.

Here are the questions:
-What Mavic Rims are these (only identifier I can see is the red label)?
-Should I sell one wheelset, rebuild another set, and pocket the rest of the money for a rainy day?
-Should I sell all but a hubset, buy some new Mavic reflexes for the rebuild (at cost through sponsor), yielding a solid set of wheels and come out a bit richer?
-Sell it all and buy some other hubs and rims for a new build?
-Keep a tubular set, sell two rims, and buy some clincher rims to train on (fixed road riding)?
-Horde mid-level 80s track parts?
-Other options?

That's a lot to digest. I appreciate the help.

Too Tall
02-25-2008, 05:13 PM
Use the front just make sure it is tensioned well and everything is solid.
Cut out those rims, clean them and use for stretching tubulars that's all they are good for. Look for a good deal on a new tubular rear rim and build a wheel. How's that sound? For not big $$ look for a NOS GP4 or a new Mavic Reflex.

cody.wms
02-26-2008, 01:59 AM
whats your focus with the bike? Is it mostly going to be on the track or spend a decent amount of time on the street?

You'll like the BK Ive had one for a little under a year now. Its a nice frame for the price.

Sasha18
02-26-2008, 11:35 AM
It'll be ridden and raced almost exclusively on the track.

TT, what's wrong with the rims? I understand if you'd be leery of lacing up a rim that has been crashed. I think I'll probably leave it be for stretching. But what's wrong with the two that are laced, so long as there aren't any cracks and the eyelets are in decent shape?

cody.wms
02-26-2008, 09:56 PM
If the rims look good on the laced set, go for it. Parts that have only lived on the track usually have a lot longer life than road stuff.