PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Ride Report AKA "The Follies"

Too Tall
02-25-2008, 07:25 AM
I've got a hunch some of you had interesting rides. Let's here it.

Sat - Taught an indoor class for newbie tri-athletes than a coached ride consisting of 3 man rotation/bumping/grass derby
Sun - Cleaned my bike and fitting session consisting of a road ride, adjustments on the fly than back to the GHEY-RADGE for spinscan analysis and more changes to bike. Fun weekend. No racing :(

saab2000
02-25-2008, 07:28 AM
Hope we can get out for a Sunday morning ride from the shop this spring! Been on the bike a whole two times this year..... :crap: :crap:

Soon though, the potholes within the potholes in Michigan will no longer be covered in feet of snow and I'll be out getting back in shape to do battle with the Washingtonians!

znfdl
02-25-2008, 07:39 AM
sat: 3 hours on the good old computrainer
sun: 3 hours on the good old computrainer

I lead a very boring life.

However, went to a freinds house (BONZ) Saturday for dinner, had rack of lamb, with a 1986 Paulliac. Too Tall was there to ensure that I did not drink too much.

stevep
02-25-2008, 07:45 AM
what? he limited you to 2 bottles?
and 1 1/2 pounds of lamb?
the fiend
at least they were magnums, right?

sat: 3 hours on the good old computrainer
sun: 3 hours on the good old computrainer

I lead a very boring life.

However, went to a freinds house (BONZ) Saturday for dinner, had rack of lamb, with a 1986 Paulliac. Too Tall was there to ensure that I did not drink too much.

znfdl
02-25-2008, 07:53 AM
what? he limited you to 2 bottles?
and 1 1/2 pounds of lamb?
the fiend
at least they were magnums, right?

Shhh, 2 1/2 bottles and 1lb lamb. I had to share ;)

theprep
02-25-2008, 07:54 AM
Fri & Sat - no bike, lotsa spackle, rough carpentry, youth basketball

Sunday - dropped 20 minutes into a 3 hour team ride.

My new to me Powertap numbers are confirming what I have always known; I need to suffer like a dog just to hang on to fast rides. Feel like selling everything!

handsomerob
02-25-2008, 07:56 AM
yesterday we rode all through Orange Mound in Memphis. I remarked to another rider that we couldn't have gotten any crazier looks if we were towing a pink elephant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Mound,_Memphis

the looks weren't a "you don't belong here"... they were more "***?... a bunch of dudes in spandex on bikes? We get far more waves and comments from the ladies on rides through rougher parts of town. :banana:

stevep
02-25-2008, 08:02 AM
had a decent ride 2 1/2 hrs sun.

it makes me laugh to go by a pond on which people are ice fishing.
i think...
" why would you wanna sit out there freezing yr arse off for 1//2 a day to catch a few little fish?"

they think.
" look at that idiot riding a bike when i'm out here freezing in a snowmobile suit.."

what makes the world go around.
coulda been worse.
i coulda been in southern california getting soaked!

R2D2
02-25-2008, 08:10 AM
Have a friend who wants to do an IronMan so we went out on our first
century spin. Many more to follow.

Znfdl:
Had the 1986 softened up any? Most are very powerful tannic beasts.

RABikes2
02-25-2008, 08:24 AM
Friday and throughout the night we had rainstorms that were nonstop. On Saturday, five of us began in 60 degrees and a misty rain. About two hours later, the wetness stopped and within another hour, the sun came out. It was near perfect long distance riding weather with a route that included a great combination of flats, rollers, and hills. At the finish, of the five riders we had three completing their second 200k brevet, one new randonneur, and me. It was a wonderful 130 miles; the new randonneurs did fabulous!

Sunday was chore day around here. Bike needed a good cleaning, too.

RA

majorpat
02-25-2008, 08:27 AM
outdoor road ride this year...outstanding. Just over an hour, in the sunshine and 35 degrees. Not bad for CNY. As usual, felt like I was pulling a dead donkey behind me as my winter "fitness" shows. Better than riding like a hamster inside any day.
Pat

TMB
02-25-2008, 08:30 AM
I spent ALL day Thursday enjoying the hospitality of Alaska Airlines, and seeing some airports more than once!!

Friday and Saturday I rode my Merckx Titanium AX in the Arizona desert.

Sunday I flew back home.

Today I have to go back to work to pay for these little weekend jaunts .. :crap:

I need to be independently wealthy.

zap
02-25-2008, 08:38 AM
Sat. Computrainer doing various interval sets.

Sun. Got bored and cut the ride short. On the way back home, stopped and helped a tri guy change inner tube and boot his tire. He was calling home for a pick up as I rolled up. Reminded me of bbd tire explosion as it happened on the same road. No zebra super suit though.

saab-looking forward to seeing you on our shop/team ride.

shoe
02-25-2008, 09:01 AM
rode sunday and this is what i learned. i'm not opposed to cute girls that come out and ride. i have no idea what to expect from my first race next weekend but we checked out the course...after training with a cat one guy i questioned why i would want to race . since he was away i rode with some 5's yesterday and thought well i probably won't come in last..i like riding with my friends i don't see that often and to take notice of a field full of snow and snowy streams are nice to look at....oh and that it is always nice when the sun comes out even if it is a bit cold....dave

znfdl
02-25-2008, 09:24 AM
Znfdl:
Had the 1986 softened up any? Most are very powerful tannic beasts.

The 86 was quite nice, could use a few more years. I am getting excited as a bunch of my ports are hitting the 20 year mark.

girlie
02-25-2008, 09:26 AM
Rode the cross bike....iPodded it.
3 hours Saturday = spit on snow melt, 44 degrees (they said), no wind though.
3 hours Sunday = sunny, 33 degrees, and windy.
I did the trainer last year this year I'm toughing it out....makes me feel more bad ***.

Geoff
02-25-2008, 09:48 AM
Sunday 75 and sunny. 2.5hrs on trails with the kids, one ridding one in the trailer. We stopped to throw rocks in the water, saw a train go over a bridge, a bald eagle, an osprey, three other friends out riding on the trails. We rode the bmx track played on the playground, then met the wife for cookies at the coffee shop on the way home.

Only 13 miles but man what great day!

G

Bonz
02-25-2008, 09:53 AM
The 86 was quite nice, could use a few more years. I am getting excited as a bunch of my ports are hitting the 20 year mark.

Znfdl, next up is the '82 Pichon Lalande, we will use it toast tour RAAM success!! FYI, TT curbed my wino enthusiasm too, and I am the better for it.

Rounding out the crowd was the fellow who pointed me towards TK for my Spectrum. Then TK pointed me to TT here in DC, and TT hooks me up with the Znfdl machine. "And the spinning wheel goes round and round." :banana:

After 4 whole weeks of flu, re-flu and flu-drag, I was FINALLY able to biked to work this morning. Wow! I've forgotten how great it is to bookend the day with bike commutes.

davids
02-25-2008, 10:42 AM
had a decent ride 2 1/2 hrs sun.

it makes me laugh to go by a pond on which people are ice fishing.
i think...
" why would you wanna sit out there freezing yr arse off for 1//2 a day to catch a few little fish?"

they think.
" look at that idiot riding a bike when i'm out here freezing in a snowmobile suit.."Was that you I saw? I was hiking through the woods Sunday afternoon (near a pond...) and saw a cyclist spin by in the distance. He was too far off to recognize, but he was going slow enough to be you...

Anyway.

I took my mountain bike out on Saturday, to see what I could do in 6" of new snow. I made it through one stretch of well-trod singletrack, but was completely hopeless in the virgin snow. No traction at all.

Fortunately, I was at a park that allows snowmobiling. While I generally despise the things, they packed down sufficient snow that I could get some traction if I stayed in their tracks. So, I spent 90 minutes churning along the park's wider, flatter trails. It was a prolonged exercise in maintaining traction and balance. Fun, but only in a stubborn, perverse kind of way.

It's all going to melt by next weekend, right?

Tom Kellogg
02-25-2008, 12:05 PM
The normal Sat. 10:00 ride from the Velo was early enough that it was just too dangerous (too much ice). I rode alone about 35 miles. Grey, but pleasant. Bike is trashed from the slop.

Sunday morning in Church, so I missed the Derby. Rode alone in the afternoon for about 50. Lots of time to think. Brain remained blank however. Is it an age thing? Bike is trashed, still, but I am surely not going to clean it until it gets nicer or I go to my first real race. Chain stays nice though.

Hope to ride this after., snow and rain for the next few days.

djg
02-25-2008, 12:11 PM
Sat: twins b'day party so I spent the day running around getting stuff and preparing for an attack of nineteen 5-6 year-olds. More brutal than my last cross race, but I survived and the kids seemed to have fun.

Sun: two hours out into Va -- no drama or big accomplishments, but the sun was shining and the legs felt good.

johnnymossville
02-25-2008, 12:16 PM
Saturday: 1 hour indoors on the trainer, I finally got the thing quiet enough that it doesn't wake the whole neighborhood.

Sunday: 4 hours (75 miles) in bright sunshine, out to a small town in Maryland called Damascus. I hear there's a shop that sells Serotta's there and wanted to stop by to take a look-see. Ended up not stopping it was so nice, except for a chocolate chip cookie break about 40 miles in.

Bike is making strange bottom bracket (I think) noises when I crank up hills hard. Gotta look in that.

Jack Brunk
02-25-2008, 12:58 PM
50 miles on Saturday with much better range of motion in my collarbone/shoulder area. Still bothersome when out of the saddle climbing but no biggie. Legs are really solid.

35 miles on Sunday on my Serotta fixie. Great day for riding.

Going to the track Weds for my first track ride since busting my collarbone. Can't wait.

Bud_E
02-25-2008, 01:41 PM
Saturday - Nice 60 mile ride through Mulholland Hwy/Malibu Cyn . Broke a spoke on PCH on the way back home ( Ksyrium - must've been because of that other thread ). It started raining when I was about 3 miles from home.

Sunday - Ride in the rain ? Are you kidding me ?

Jack Brunk
02-25-2008, 02:01 PM
Saturday - Nice 60 mile ride through Mulholland Hwy/Malibu Cyn . Broke a spoke on PCH on the way back home ( Ksyrium - must've been because of that other thread ). It started raining when I was about 3 miles from home.

Sunday - Ride in the rain ? Are you kidding me ?
Hey Bud,

The rain quit early in the am up my way. Ended up being a really great day to ride.

Bud_E
02-25-2008, 02:36 PM
I noticed that the rain stopped mid-morning but by then I was "gently persuaded" to do "domestic" chores. :argue:

Jack - glad you're on the mend.

stevep
02-25-2008, 03:42 PM
fenders tom.
i have an old beater that needs a home.
fender clearance even.
ill give you a great price..
and refund the money if i see you ride it.
s

The normal Sat. 10:00 ride from the Velo was early enough that it was just too dangerous (too much ice). I rode alone about 35 miles. Grey, but pleasant. Bike is trashed from the slop.

Sunday morning in Church, so I missed the Derby. Rode alone in the afternoon for about 50. Lots of time to think. Brain remained blank however. Is it an age thing? Bike is trashed, still, but I am surely not going to clean it until it gets nicer or I go to my first real race. Chain stays nice though.

Hope to ride this after., snow and rain for the next few days.

sailorboy
02-25-2008, 03:53 PM
Rode from the Navy base here...to the Army base. They have hills over there; something about capturing the high ground or some sheet that I vaguely remember from my days in green. Now its usually just, "hey who drank all the coffee?" Nice here this time of year, best views of Fuji, highs around 50 most days with sun.

Hardlyrob
02-25-2008, 04:12 PM
First outdoor ride of the year - not that the weather hasn't cooperated, I've been too busy on weekends.

Yesterday, a hilly 21 mile route, and I felt exactly like MajorPat - who tied that donkey to the back of my bike, and why doesn't it want to go the same direction I want to?

Only one other intrepid soul out - even though it was beautiful - and of course, it was one of Stevep's CCB compadres.

Cheers!

Rob

davids
02-25-2008, 04:18 PM
Rode from the Navy base here...to the Army base. They have hills over there; something about capturing the high ground or some sheet that I vaguely remember from my days in green. Now its usually just, "hey who drank all the coffee?" Nice here this time of year, best views of Fuji, highs around 50 most days with sun.That's a tall snowpile!

big shanty
02-25-2008, 04:27 PM
3.5 hours around Seattle on Saturday. Peaked at 52F and sunny....could have used shoe covers, though. Perfect day. Sunday...3.5+ hours on the couch.

TMB
02-25-2008, 04:31 PM
Sunday...3.5+ hours on the couch.

The hills must be harder on the couch

big shanty
02-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Once you get it up to speed, it's all gravy.

72gmc
02-25-2008, 04:51 PM
could have used shoe covers, though.

PI Calientoes or the same from a few other makers: perfect.

Only 1.5 hours on Friday in the sun. Had hopes for a much longer ride but everyone else had designs on "my" day off.

Too Tall
02-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Fri & Sat - no bike, lotsa spackle, rough carpentry, youth basketball

Sunday - dropped 20 minutes into a 3 hour team ride.

My new to me Powertap numbers are confirming what I have always known; I need to suffer like a dog just to hang on to fast rides. Feel like selling everything!
MP Sent. Join the team. Proud of you son. It's early yet.

T.K., Jinx. Same here, bike totally trashed after riding in muddy fields playing bumper cars with a former nose tackle...on bikes! Was sooooo ashamed thinking what you'd say I washed it...next time send me a memo so I don't waste my time ;)

stevep
02-25-2008, 05:33 PM
was the guy moving? wasnt me. i did a 2 1/2 hr track stand more or less.
met a couple of the local blockheads who were in worse shape than i am and then rode home.
put away the mt bike david.
its over.
over.

Was that you I saw? I was hiking through the woods Sunday afternoon (near a pond...) and saw a cyclist spin by in the distance. He was too far off to recognize, but he was going slow enough to be you...

Anyway.

I took my mountain bike out on Saturday, to see what I could do in 6" of new snow. I made it through one stretch of well-trod singletrack, but was completely hopeless in the virgin snow. No traction at all.

Fortunately, I was at a park that allows snowmobiling. While I generally despise the things, they packed down sufficient snow that I could get some traction if I stayed in their tracks. So, I spent 90 minutes churning along the park's wider, flatter trails. It was a prolonged exercise in maintaining traction and balance. Fun, but only in a stubborn, perverse kind of way.

It's all going to melt by next weekend, right?