PDA

View Full Version : Assos AirJack 851 & FuguJack

Nil Else
02-25-2008, 12:31 AM
As the spring approaches I see these jackets on sale and I'm gettin tempted to get one or both(?). I have a few dilemma besides the obvious $$$ though.

First of all which one?
I ride in the cold midwest weather. I have Intermediate jersey, Element Zero vest and AirBlock Bib tights etc to layer.

#2: What size?
I wear Large Assos jerseys although my chest size is 40~41" as I'm 5' 8". Large feels kinda a bit tight standing but they are perfect in tugged riding position. If I layer with Intermediate jersey do I need to get one size bigger jacket, i.e., XL? One of the things I like best about Assos is their close fitting therefore I'd rather not get an oversized jacket but then I don't want to cut off circulation to my arms etc.

#3: What color?
My Assos Aintermediate long sleeve jersey is black and all my shorts and tights are black thus I end up basically all black when it starts to get nippy out. I thus far don't have any problem but I often think about riding all black bike (one of my Look bike is an all-black darth vader bike) and dressed in all black except for the bits of white Assos logo/ graphics on the uppper arm and on the back pocket. My Element Zero vest is white so it helps when I have it on.

I read the 'black winter jersey and jackets' thread but it seems there were no clear conclusion regarding what is good color winter jacket and what color clothes/ jackets are safe/ draws more attention. ( http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=35005 )

As for AirJack 851, except for the black one, with the pronounced black airblock fabric pattern over the shoulder they look like the space cadet uniform as number of Assos stuff can be. FuguJacks are much better in overall design/ look aspect so I'm thinking maybe a red one although I'm naturally drawn to the black ones.

So my question is what color AirJack or FuguJack are you guys wearing? Would red jacket be good compromise? Many of you wear black jacket?

Btw does anyone know whether Assos possibly are putting out newer versions of these jackets soon? For example I got my Element Zero vest about a month ago and it is a newer version ( I thus far can't find any pic of the newer version Element Zero anywhere including Assos.com. The newer version has, for one, different collar. Instead of vertical B/W stripes it has diagonal stripes and has cut out dip on each sides for freer neck movement.) Also S2 bib shorts are being replaced by S5s with carbon(?) mash backs and Thermax booties have new improved versions as well.

DarrenCT
02-25-2008, 01:34 AM
the fugu is worth it (if u get it on sale)

the airjack is very similar to other jackets by other companies. nothing special about it (although its very nice)

size wize, i'd get 1 size up for the jacket becuz you'll be layering.

good luck

jimcav
02-25-2008, 08:36 AM
although i had the gator, predecessor to fuga. anyway, i wore large, i wear a 40-41 and i layered one layer under it. the gator was WARM--i did not layer under it unless it was in the teens, and then only one coolmax shirt. the 851 does block the wind on the front, but not the back, it sucks in drizzle. i was fine with it in the 20s with a thermal layer under--but i ride at a hard tempo--not just cruising. assos in general and the 851 is very form fitting, in that sense, it is not like many other winter offerings which flap and are loose in many areas.
since they are very anatomic, going up a size should still fit fairly well.
oh and i ride on some very trafficed roads--brighter colors get more notice.
brighter lights trumps that though
jim

coloclimber
02-25-2008, 10:33 AM
I have both. Blue 851 and Red fugu. Color doesn't really matter - just get a bright color that matches your bike or kit.

I live on Colorado and end up using the fugujack the most. The rear flap is the biggest reason I use it- it comes down and covers the bum from the cold and spray in the wet. No matter how cold, I usually wear only one polypro layer under the fugu. Once those inner layers get wet with sweat you get cold. One wicking layer and the jacket (with the inside vest thing zipped is plenty warm and wicking). I also like the neck gator with a regular cycling cap for most rides. The only downside is that the neck gator is a bit cumbersome when it warms up though. The pockets are small and funky and there are no easy access rear pockets.

The 851 can be layered to simulate the slightly added warmth of the fugu and you can wear whatever headgear to cover your ears that you want. Its quite a bit cheaper too. It has good rear pockets. It just lacks the rear back warmth and bum flap. Perhaps the lack of airblocking fabric on the rear helps wick away moisture as well. My chest and stomach do get cold with the 851 and look red after rides.

Check the reviews on competitive cyclist as well.

TriJim
02-25-2008, 11:43 AM
My name is Jim and I am an Assos-aholic. Hi Jim...

The Fugu can be worn with just a single base layer to temps below freezing so you don't need to allow space for a lot of layers. I am 5'9" and 43" chest -- prefer the XL. I bought red for visibility. When I need less jacket, I combine my intermediate jersey and vest or intermediate jersey and climajet. I think the late 2007 Fugu includes a large rear pocket (in addition to the slash zipper pockets on the sides), but these still have the vertical stripe collar so maybe there is an even newer model.

Finally - check-out the new 3-layer glove set. Definitely gets two-thumbs up! :beer:

Nil Else
02-25-2008, 01:41 PM
My name is Jim and I am an Assos-aholic. Hi Jim...

The Fugu can be worn with just a single base layer to temps below freezing so you don't need to allow space for a lot of layers. I am 5'9" and 43" chest -- prefer the XL. I bought red for visibility. When I need less jacket, I combine my intermediate jersey and vest or intermediate jersey and climajet. I think the late 2007 Fugu includes a large rear pocket (in addition to the slash zipper pockets on the sides), but these still have the vertical stripe collar so maybe there is an even newer model.

Finally - check-out the new 3-layer glove set. Definitely gets two-thumbs up! :beer:

I do have the Assos inner liner gloves and the lobster outter shell. I don't have the in-between layer gloves (?) though. I use either PI pittards or Giordano wintex gloves for that.

As for the jacket I guess I'll go with Fugu as most of you guys seemed to agree. As for the color I'd like to get the black but I probably will get the red one. Yellow is too much and I have an older Pearl Izumi jacket in yellow. Blue and titanium I am afraid will blend in way too easily into the background. White, I'm noticing with my Element Zero vest, gets dirty extremely fast and I'm thinking washing it often will only result in faster wear.

The only thing about Assos is that some of them are extremely European loud. Here in conservative midwest USA it's rare seeing much of cyclists on the road let alone ones in loud intense primary color clothes in highly stylish Euro design... I sometimes look at myself in the mirror in full Assos and catch myself in a bit of shock as I look like a guy who jumped out of TV screen showing some kinda high ski jump in European winter Olympic game or something. So in RED FUGU I might again freak myself... :eek: But I overcome soon enough I guess. Sometimes too much of wrong kinda attention can get me into unwanted situation and it's just that spending $$$ I want to makes sure I'd get along well with the new jacket :beer:

And yes I sure would like to know whether they've changed the collar on the Fugu. Element Zero and Fugu collars are essentially same I believe.

Erik.Lazdins
02-25-2008, 01:50 PM
The only thing about Assos is that some of them are extremely European loud. Here in conservative midwest USA it's rare seeing much of cyclists on the road let alone ones in loud intense primary color clothes in highly stylish Euro design...

You shoulda see the clerks at Walgreens when I rolled up to the drive through at 4:45 AM wearing my Gator Jacket on my Bleriot with my trusty never leave home without it at night L&M ARC HID light - good times!

:beer: :beer: :beer:

swoop
02-25-2008, 01:58 PM
assos just looks too Star Trek for me sometimes. i mean, it looks good on you... hey is that a Federation Badge?

Nil Else
02-25-2008, 02:13 PM
assos just looks too Star Trek for me sometimes. i mean, it looks good on you... hey is that a Federation Badge?

Pardon moi? That ain't me. It's a model dude from assos.com.

Maybe I should try to press my assos logo thingy on my jersey and see if I can communicate with the Enterprise... :fight:

jimcav
02-25-2008, 02:58 PM
Pardon moi? That ain't me. It's a model dude from assos.com.

Maybe I should try to press my assos logo thingy on my jersey and see if I can communicate with the Enterprise... :fight:

and he never has it set on stun

jim

jimcav
02-25-2008, 03:02 PM
Sometimes too much of wrong kinda attention can get me into unwanted situation and it's just that spending $$$ I want to makes sure I'd get along well with the new jacket :beer:

i have blue one (851) when i used to ride to work in it, a few folks jokingly asked if i was training for a winter olympic sport (it was that time of year), but mostly i felt more aero than i would have otherwise on winter rides. my gator was red. yellow is best for visibility, then red (those are the 2 colors i got in my descente element jackets for winter riding here near seattle)
jim

Nil Else
02-25-2008, 05:45 PM
and he never has it set on stun

jim

umm.. better not... that's tough choice: risk my mortality from death ray or put on early end to my young serotta forum existence :bike: now I got the itch twitch fingers though :no:

so that's how I end up getting marooned on this planet... now that I can't contact the mother ship...

jt2gt
02-26-2008, 07:58 AM
I'd like to pick up a Medium 851...where are you seeing them on sale (pm me if you want).

I am about 5'8 145lbs and fit a medium element one snug but nice. So medium should work for me in the jackets, right?

Thanks...JT

BumpyintheBurgh
02-26-2008, 10:30 AM
Assos AirJack 851
"Air cushioning circulation system provides increased thermicity values." $300...Huh?

johnnymossville
02-26-2008, 10:41 AM
I'm not sure I'm loud enough for the other colors. Love the design though!

I say go for it.

Nil Else
02-26-2008, 10:46 AM
I'm not sure I'm loud enough for the other colors. Love the design though!

I say go for it.

Thx.. I'm still debating between Blk and Red Fugu.

johnnymossville
02-26-2008, 10:52 AM
Thx.. I'm still debating between Blk and Red Fugu.

Yep, the Fugu's Design kicks butt. :) serious dose of style there. Like everything about them. The texture of the cloth must be somthing. I think they make gloves out of that as well.

Nil Else
02-27-2008, 07:40 AM
You shoulda see the clerks at Walgreens when I rolled up to the drive through at 4:45 AM wearing my Gator Jacket on my Bleriot with my trusty never leave home without it at night L&M ARC HID light - good times!

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Yeah I know "the look" too well :)

Aren't them Light & Motion ARC HID great? I love mine... I got my LI-ON version dirt cheap a few years back from Perf by way of them price matching thier own nashbars' flyer typo, I think, + 30% discount or something like that. But I guess L&M is going the LED way though. LEDs sure seems lighter and more durable as there is no bulb to blow!

Nil Else
02-27-2008, 08:07 AM
i have blue one (851) when i used to ride to work in it, a few folks jokingly asked if i was training for a winter olympic sport (it was that time of year), but mostly i felt more aero than i would have otherwise on winter rides. my gator was red. yellow is best for visibility, then red (those are the 2 colors i got in my descente element jackets for winter riding here near seattle)
jim

Yep, I ordered a red Fugujack.

I just can't rationalize black winter jacket. With my black Intermediate Jersey & black tights/ shorts combo in late fall I'm concerned enough. Winter riding in the city with office crowd/ pedestrians wearing lots of black coats as well as, although it is true that all they see is your butt from behind(like you said I always have my bright rear flasher for that,) there is all other angle views and semi/ truck driver's view from higher up to consider as well. I'd think a truck driver would see me much easier in primary RED than all black from their angle. After all it is a cycling gear and not exactly all a fashion statement.

Thanks all!

jemoryl
02-27-2008, 08:20 AM
Yep, I ordered a red Fugujack.

I just can't rationalize black winter jacket. With my black Intermediate Jersey & black tights/ shorts combo in late fall I'm concerned enough. Winter riding in the city with office crowd/ pedestrians wearing lots of black coats as well as, although it is true that all they see is your butt from behind(like you said I always have my bright rear flasher for that,) there is all other angle views and semi/ truck driver's view from higher up to consider as well. I'd think a truck driver would see me much easier in primary RED than all black from their angle. After all it is a cycling gear and not exactly all a fashion statement.

Thanks all!

Six months ago I was looking at a rack of winter jackets and ranting about all the dark (especially black) colors for their lack of winter visibility. Then I wound up buying a black Nalini Diso jacket (excellent, BTW). It does have some token reflective features and looks really sharp (I think they meant to call it Disco). One thing I did notice: black stuff feels warmer on those cold but sunny days. But you are right: cycling clothes look pretty silly in general.

swoop
02-27-2008, 09:01 AM

Bob Ross
02-27-2008, 01:55 PM
I've been going back & forth on the Fugu versus AirJack 851 issue for a while now. But my concern is whether or not the Fugu might be too warm. I live in NYC & rarely (read: never) ride below 20°F, yet when I am riding below freezing my biggest issue is usually overheating. Plus I'd hate to spend >$500 on a jacket that's too warm to wear in the Spring or Fall.

Is an AirJack 851 adequate down to 20° if used w/ a decent base layer? Is the Fugu comfortable for riding at 40-45°F, or is it too warm for those conditions? Thanks.

vaxn8r
02-27-2008, 03:41 PM
I've been going back & forth on the Fugu versus AirJack 851 issue for a while now. But my concern is whether or not the Fugu might be too warm. I live in NYC & rarely (read: never) ride below 20°F, yet when I am riding below freezing my biggest issue is usually overheating. Plus I'd hate to spend >$500 on a jacket that's too warm to wear in the Spring or Fall.

Is an AirJack 851 adequate down to 20° if used w/ a decent base layer? Is the Fugu comfortable for riding at 40-45°F, or is it too warm for those conditions? Thanks.
I can't wear any of this stuff. If it's in the 20's it aint my body that's getting cold, it's my face, hands, feet etc. I'll wear a base layer, a LS jersey and maybe a vest. Lightweight gloves, booties with warmer inserts and I'm good to go. If I wear any type of jacket I'm sweating.

bleed_oil
04-10-2008, 01:52 PM
I'm looking at getting a Fugu. I'm 6'2" but my chest is only 40". My problem is that a large will usually fit my body but I have to get an XL to fit my long arms.

anyone have arm lengths then can post? Maybe shoulder seem to cuff or neck line to cuff?

I live where I can't try the jacket on.

thanks!

dookie
04-10-2008, 04:53 PM
at least on the 851 the arms seem quite long (and skinny!) in proportion to the body size.

jimcav
04-10-2008, 05:11 PM

fuga will be way too warm--see my post above, i wore a 851 on non rainy days in dc into the teens with a good thermal base layer in the upper 20s and 30s with just a long sleeve jersey--cold for 10 minutes max, then comfy
jim

Climb01742
04-11-2008, 05:05 AM
true dat. the arms are very skinny. it's the one aspect that makes layering a challenge. that aside (and it's really just annoying, not at all a dealbreaker) the fugu is, hands down, the best cold weather jacket i've found. it's the one that is up to new england's coldest days.

jt2gt
04-11-2008, 07:51 AM
true dat. the arms are very skinny. it's the one aspect that makes layering a challenge. that aside (and it's really just annoying, not at all a dealbreaker) the fugu is, hands down, the best cold weather jacket i've found. it's the one that is up to new england's coldest days.

Yep...best to size it and wear it like it is supposed to be -- Tight. Then if you have layer, layer over it with a vest or breaker. If you size it right, fairly easy to layer over the 851 or Fugu.

JT