PDA

View Full Version : Spring is coming?

rwsaunders
02-24-2008, 09:59 PM
The groundhog was right. I came back on the red eye from sunny Seattle on Friday morning to the same old snow and ice...depressing indeed. The sun came out today and the roads dried off to the point where we had decent (albeit 35 degree) riding conditions. How about the rest of you Snowbelters?

johnnymossville
02-24-2008, 10:14 PM
warmed up to a balmy 42, 75 miles and Bright Sunshine. I only really got cold after my stop for chocolate chip cookies about halfway through. After that, I was in serious need of a coffee, but I'm not gonna complain, better than being at work. :)

Blue Jays
02-24-2008, 10:15 PM
Snow on the grass and fairly cold yet the roadways were completely clear. Beautiful blue skies, so a half-dozen of us pedaled 57 miles today. We were euphoric with how pleasant it was outside for late-February.

shoe
02-24-2008, 10:20 PM
don't really know the temp but it must not have been too bad because we rode for 3 hours today.. and only had to call out a couple of ice spots. it will get warmer soon right. i am starting to wonder why i am moving to a colder climate..dave

DarrenCT
02-25-2008, 01:43 AM
conditions similar in CT. maybe a bit more snow but the roads are dry. the backroads have some snow and ice but its not too shabby. i'll let ya know tomor

glad u can ride again bob

-d

CNY rider
02-25-2008, 06:44 AM
I'm waiting for the weather to break to start up my little backyard maple syrup operation.

At this time of year I start watching the 14 day weather projections closely.

We in the northeast have a hefty dose of winter on the way I'm afraid. :butt:

stevep
02-25-2008, 07:06 AM
all the maple buckets are out up here and the dripping has begun.
spring is around th corner

I'm waiting for the weather to break to start up my little backyard maple syrup operation.

At this time of year I start watching the 14 day weather projections closely.

We in the northeast have a hefty dose of winter on the way I'm afraid. :butt:

FMS_rider
02-25-2008, 10:03 AM
Spring!? What the hell is that? We have had 86.7" of snow so far this winter with another 5-7" predicted for today. It finally made it up to the low 30s yesterday afternoon, but the roads remain covered with deep ice ridges and ruts so I can't even ride with my studded-tire winter bike. I normally alternate between wheels with regular and studded tires depending on conditions (to minimize wear on the Nokians on bare pavement), but I have had to use the Nokians on every single ride since early December. Driving as well as riding is hazardous because the snow banks are so high you cannot see what is coming at intersections.

I love Wisconsin winters, but this is the worst in my 30 years here and as you can tell I am more than ready to get out a real road bike. My wife and I are talking about getting into the car and head south until we encounter ice and salt-free pavement.

Anyone have an idea of where the closest place with good road-biking routes and dry pavement would be within ~500 miles of southern Wisconsin?

Meanwhile, I want to hear as many descriptions of rides in real Spring weather as possible for vicarious pleasure and to reassure myself that the earth's tilt has not been altered.

Thanks in advance to anyone who might have something in the way of reassurance to offer!
Lew

julia
02-25-2008, 10:44 AM
Spring!? What the hell is that? We have had 86.7" of snow so far this winter with another 5-7" predicted for today. It finally made it up to the low 30s yesterday afternoon, but the roads remain covered with deep ice ridges and ruts so I can't even ride with my studded-tire winter bike. I normally alternate between wheels with regular and studded tires depending on conditions (to minimize wear on the Nokians on bare pavement), but I have had to use the Nokians on every single ride since early December. Driving as well as riding is hazardous because the snow banks are so high you cannot see what is coming at intersections.

I love Wisconsin winters, but this is the worst in my 30 years here and as you can tell I am more than ready to get out a real road bike. My wife and I are talking about getting into the car and head south until we encounter ice and salt-free pavement.

Anyone have an idea of where the closest place with good road-biking routes and dry pavement would be within ~500 miles of southern Wisconsin?

Meanwhile, I want to hear as many descriptions of rides in real Spring weather as possible for vicarious pleasure and to reassure myself that the earth's tilt has not been altered.

Thanks in advance to anyone who might have something in the way of reassurance to offer!
Lew

lew, we have had the most freakish week of sun in seattle. even though our winters are mild, we are beside ourselves with seven days of actual, full-on sunshine. steve and the gang got to ride this week out of solvang in cool, rainy weather, but we got the sun up north, haha! birds are chirping and downtown there are planters full of primroses. . .as one guy i rode with briefly the other day said, "yeah well let's enjoy it cause you know we're gonna get one hour of sunshine in the next 3 months". sadly probably true, but for now, i'll take seattle.

hang in there, you guys are tough
cheers

think tuscany!

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s306/juliahensley/CIMG8144-1.jpg

thwart
02-25-2008, 12:40 PM

LewClose your eyes on the trainer and visualize those tulips and chirping birds.

Snow today, again on Thursday and... apparently the weekend as well. :crap:

Starting to feel like a very bad joke. We are eventually going to see Spring fever like we haven't seen for a long time.

AgilisMerlin
02-25-2008, 01:04 PM
the 2 feet of shyt is melting already...........rode 1:45 in salt and runoff.....going to snow again tomorrow night.............don't give a crap anymore..........buying a case of wd40 this weekend.............

Fark.............................................. ................. :crap:

LesMiner
02-25-2008, 01:10 PM

10 years ago my brother headed South out of Minnesota to find a snow free place. He ended up in St. Louis. A big thunderstorm came in then a tornado and he was stranded there for 3 days.

crossjunkee
02-25-2008, 01:59 PM
62 and sunny in Denver yesterday!

FMS_rider
02-26-2008, 04:58 AM
lew, we have had the most freakish week of sun in seattle. even though our winters are mild, we are beside ourselves with seven days of actual, full-on sunshine. steve and the gang got to ride this week out of solvang in cool, rainy weather, but we got the sun up north, haha! birds are chirping and downtown there are planters full of primroses.
..............We are on our way!

FMS_rider
02-26-2008, 05:20 AM
Close your eyes on the trainer and visualize those tulips and chirping birds.

Snow today, again on Thursday and... apparently the weekend as well. :crap:

Starting to feel like a very bad joke. We are eventually going to see Spring fever like we haven't seen for a long time.I wish I had your optimism --I think this is going to be another one those years without a summer --am expecting Tambora to erupt again any day now.

10 years ago my brother headed South out of Minnesota to find a snow free place. He ended up in St. Louis. A big thunderstorm came in then a tornado and he was stranded there for 3 days.I lived in St. Louis for 5 years and I can really sympathize with your brother!

the 2 feet of shyt is melting already...........rode 1:45 in salt and runoff.....going to snow again tomorrow night.............don't give a crap anymore..........buying a case of wd40 this weekend.............

Fark.............................................. ................. :crap:Is the wd40 for your bike or to drink?

62 and sunny in Denver yesterday!Special thanks to you and to Julia. Vicarious pleasure is going to have to sustain us for at least another month.

Thanks all,
Lew

AgilisMerlin
02-26-2008, 07:55 AM
"Is the wd40 for your bike or to drink?"

It is too spray on myself and then light a match....... !!!! '

off for another hour&half in the ****...........roads frozen.........snow is coming... :crap:

AgilisMerlin
02-26-2008, 08:12 AM
Some motivation for spring...............march is the beginning of striper season....

AgilisMerlin
02-26-2008, 08:44 AM
ode' to the mermaids of a coastal spring:

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x309/AGILISMERLIN/joel_webcopy.jpg

"Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach?
I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach.
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.
I do not think that they will sing to me.
I have seen them riding seaward on the waves
Combing the white hair of the waves blown back
When the wind blows the water white and black.
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea
By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown
Till human voices wake us, and we drown."

t.s. eliot

manet
02-26-2008, 08:58 AM
think tuscany!

... canada ?

rwsaunders
02-26-2008, 09:27 AM
Is that Ernesto's 50th wedding anniversary tribute mural to Mrs. Ernesto on the frame?

sellsworth
02-26-2008, 09:27 AM
62 and sunny in Denver yesterday!

Same here in Reno. Should hit 64 in a few days. It's a great week in the Tahoe area with all of the snow and blue skies. It's really hard to get work done when the skiing is so awesome.

julia
02-26-2008, 11:19 AM
ode' to the mermaids of a coastal spring:

"Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach?
I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach.
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.
I do not think that they will sing to me.
I have seen them riding seaward on the waves
Combing the white hair of the waves blown back
When the wind blows the water white and black.
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea
By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown
Till human voices wake us, and we drown."

t.s. eliot

t.s. eliot and a mermaid on a bicycle

my post of the week. . .

manet
02-27-2008, 09:15 AM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/easterncaster/IMG_5652.jpg

manet
02-27-2008, 09:16 AM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/easterncaster/IMG_5665_1.jpg