PDA

View Full Version : L-Shaped Crankarms?!?!

BumbleBeeDave
01-03-2004, 06:02 PM
Auction on eBay . . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3651004478&category=56197

What the . . .?!?! :confused:

BBDave

Orin
01-03-2004, 06:22 PM
Take a look at:

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Italy/PMP_main.htm

Orin.

pale scotsman
01-03-2004, 06:46 PM
Whoa.... what a blast from the past! In '86 a co-worker at the bike shop I worked at while in school had a set of these on a '85 Bianchi with nuevo record. I rode the bike but not with these babies on it. They kinda scared me. I'm pretty sure he said he paid close to $200 for them back then.

Kevin
01-03-2004, 06:49 PM
Does anyone know the theory behind the L shaped cranks? Also how long until Dave N. buys them?

Kevin

Louis
01-03-2004, 08:30 PM
I’m hardly a crank expert, but the L shape makes no sense to me. It looks like all they would do is add weight. They shouldn’t change anything else.

I could design a crank with a crazy S shape, but as long as we’re talking about a rigid link between where the pedal attaches to the center of the spindle, anything other than a straight line between those two points is wasted material.

What gives?

Louis

BumbleBeeDave
01-03-2004, 08:45 PM
Sand and/or Kevan could tell us. I hear each is a noted crank (expert)! ;)

Seriously, I would like to know, too. Seems pretty weird . . .

BBDave

Stewball
01-04-2004, 12:14 AM
Just a guess:

Not saying this is the creators reason but, have you ever put one box wrench over another to increase the torque? It works. There is a great deal of flex but, increasing the length, though it be a bent road, does increase the torque.

Now where's the scientist with the real reason? :crap:

Have fun,
A.J.

lithiapark
01-04-2004, 08:41 AM
I agree with Louis. Crankarms this shape are more flexible/heavier, more difficult too construct, and are no different than a straight (or any other shape) arm that has same BB to pedal hole center distance when measured in a straight line, when it comes to generating torque at the BB for a given pedal force.