PDA

View Full Version : Campy Components

Wayne
02-24-2008, 06:36 PM
Does anyone have experience with Centaur components. Does this level work as well as Chorus or Record? I know it is heavier but the price is so much less. All comments are appreciated.

Pete Serotta
02-24-2008, 06:39 PM
It works very well....Other with more knowledge can give you more detail BUT I have both on bikes and they work! Centaur (except the 08 hubs) is a good group.

legacysti888
02-24-2008, 06:45 PM
I concur. Works extremely well. I have mostly Record stuff but I bought a 07 centaur group. If I close my eyes, you simply can't tell the difference after they have broken in.

DarrenCT
02-24-2008, 06:55 PM
works very well bro

take the plunge and go centaur

ps: grant is the campy wiz

Erik.Lazdins
02-24-2008, 06:56 PM
Does anyone here have any feedback on Veloce?

DarrenCT
02-24-2008, 07:08 PM
the campy pro is needed

J.Greene
02-24-2008, 07:15 PM
Does anyone have experience with Centaur components. Does this level work as well as Chorus or Record? I know it is heavier but the price is so much less. All comments are appreciated.

I've banned shimano from mi casa. The Centaur is really good, but not really great.

JG

97CSI
02-24-2008, 07:21 PM
It works very well....Other with more knowledge can give you more detail BUT I have both on bikes and they work! Centaur (except the 08 hubs) is a good group.Yes, all pre-QS works well (can't comment on QS).

Pete - What is wrong with the '08 hubs? p.s. Congrats on your new job. :banana:

Does anyone here have any feedback on Veloce?Veloce is not as nicely finished. In addition, a number of the parts are stamped rather than machined or forged. Items like chainrings are not as nice. Consderably heavier. Functionally, everything Campy works the same. That is, very well.

shinomaster
02-24-2008, 07:26 PM
do an archive search. All you will hear are "good things".

J.Greene
02-24-2008, 07:29 PM
do an archive search. All you will hear are "good things".

Some good things have been banned.

JG

DarrenCT
02-24-2008, 07:32 PM
Some good things have been banned.

JG

like the "no nude lap dancing" rule in CT

J.Greene
02-24-2008, 07:35 PM

I was gonna do a cross weekend in CT this fall, not now. How is the action in Gloucester?

JG

e-RICHIE
02-24-2008, 07:38 PM
I was gonna do a cross weekend in CT this fall, not now. How is the action in Gloucester?

JG
a perfect stormo atmo.

manet
02-24-2008, 07:42 PM
grantmo is ban ffmo'd

Alan
02-24-2008, 09:11 PM
Back on topic - In 2006 and before all of the groups down to Veloce were good. Most of my riding was on Veloce der with Centaur ergo levers. In 2007 Campy went to the dark side and per my lbs they dumbed down the shifters from Centaur and down to the old Xenon shifters.

Now (post 06) you have to buy at least Chorus to get the traditional shifting but you can mix up groups so a good strategy is to use all Centaur but use Chorus ergo levers. www.campyonly.com is a good place to start and they have a forum with some activity. Others may be able to add to this.

Alan

maunahaole
02-24-2008, 10:12 PM

First they come for your nude lap dancing.

The beer is next.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Campy rocks.

In Gloucester, the only nude lap dancing is from a 75 year old retired fisherman.

72gmc
02-24-2008, 10:32 PM
I used 2003 Centaur for 3 years, year-round, and then sold most of it to Lifelover. It was still in great working condition when I sold it.

I now have almost a year on 2007 Centaur and it's the same story: it just works. I don't race anymore, so the QS doesn't cause any issues for me. The only step down, in my opinion, is the hubs. Earlier Centaur hubs had a better appearance, and shared bearings with Chorus if not Record, whereas the new Centaur is the same as Veloce from what I can tell. I still have my old hubs awaiting new rims. That said, I have been riding the new "worse" hubs at least 5 days a week since last Spring with no problems other than aesthetics.

Blue Jays
02-25-2008, 01:24 AM
If one wishes to rapidly drop into bigger gears, such as when cresting a hill and immediately shift into "downhill mode" that functionality is enhanced on the upper-range Campagnolo models.
For typical use I've heard all positive reviews of Centaur components.

RudAwkning
02-25-2008, 01:59 AM
In 2007 Campy went to the dark side and per my lbs they dumbed down the shifters from Centaur and down to the old Xenon shifters.

The Lord giveth, the Lord taketh away.

steve575
02-25-2008, 07:06 AM
I have '06 Centaur (pre QS) and it works well. The only issue I've had is when I tried to switch to compact cranks. I tried the CT and standard front derailleurs and had to do quite a bit of trimming to use just 7 of my 10 rear cogs. But then again I'm comparing to Shimano Ultegra.

Dave
02-25-2008, 08:44 AM
I think some people may be confusing the escape mechanism that limits shift to smaller cogs to one at a time and makes for awkward trimming of the FD, with QS. The escape mechanism is used on Centaur and lower level shifters.

QS is used on all levels of shifters. All it does is reduce some of the dead travel in the left side finger lever. The finger lever now engages the cable sooner, so the lever doesn't travel as far for the same number of clicks. The maximum number of clicks for a full sweep of the left finger lever is still 5 clicks, as required for a triple FD. QS front derailleurs (double only) have a longer lever arm that reduces the effort required to move the finger lever, but should also add one click to cover the full range of travel. Triple FDs are not QS.

mcteague
02-25-2008, 10:10 AM
I have a mix of Record and Chorus for most parts except dérailleurs. For some reason Campagnolo prices theirs much higher than Shimano when it comes to these components. I use Centaur front and rear dérailleurs and they work perfectly other than being a few grams heavier which I don't notice at all.

Tim McTeague

Nil Else
02-25-2008, 10:57 AM
Also 2007+ Centaur and below level shifters shift more fluidly and quiet as they use softer material pivot bushing (?.. correct me here for detail) compared to the older shifters (Record & Chorus uses ball bearing) that supposedly could develop premature wear problem I hear. I'm not sure whether this is true or not. I guess I'll find out as I have a set of 07 Centaur QS shifters. I've also heard something about Campy screwing up the replacement bushing as well by using wrong kinda material that currently the part is not available? I figure, IF my shifters do develop the problem, I'll delve into the feared Campy shifter rebuilding as for some perverted reason I wanted to try it someday and by then Campy should have solve the replacement bushing issue, I hope.

Meanwhile I kinda appreciate the smoother shifting on this particular bike with 07 Centaur shifters as it's different for me... as the rest of my bikes have the normal hard shifting Campy shifters. Upper level Record and Chorus (and older Centaur) shifters click louder and shifting requires a bit more force. The new Record Red label Pro shifters supposedly click even more pronounced and harder to shift as pro favor such for obvious reasons of keeping track of what you are doing and what cog you're on.

I have 9 & 10 spd Centaur and also Veloce 10 as well as a bunch of Record and Chorus. They all work perfectly but with slightly different way shifters work and weight.

Dave
02-25-2008, 11:49 AM
[QUOTE=Nil Else]Also 2007+ Centaur and below level shifters shift more fluidly and quiet as they use softer material pivot bushing (?.. correct me here for detail) compared to the older shifters (Record & Chorus uses ball bearing) that supposedly could develop premature wear problem I hear. I'm not sure whether this is true or not. I guess I'll find out as I have a set of 07 Centaur QS shifters. I've also heard something about Campy screwing up the replacement bushing as well by using wrong kinda material that currently the part is not available? QUOTE]

The softer shifting is due to the absence of the G-springs. The mechanism is entirely different than current Chrous and Record shifters. Looking at page 53 of the linked PDF, there appears to be no bushing around the main index shaft at all.

http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/Spares08_A_1007.pdf

I asked a poster on another site who clamed to have repaired a number of escape shifters, about the cause of failures and got this response:

By far, the #1 part most failing part is EC-CE060, which is common to escape levers. The material was either incorrectly speced or the design is flawed in this part. The EC-CE060 part controls the stop in the return ratchet. The teeth on EC-CE060 become dull, and the entire mechanism begins to slip multiple stops/gears. This part should have been made out of something harder to prevent the wear.

thwart
02-25-2008, 12:23 PM
In my opinion, most cost-effective bike components out there: pre-2007 Campagnolo Veloce. Even better in 9 speed... ;)

No bling. No bragging rights. No famous Campagnolo ***el-like finish. They just work.

(Interesting Forum thing I've never seen before... I typed a 5 letter word that rhymes with cruel, and the software changed it to ***el. Maybe that filter could be turned down a bit... :rolleyes: )

If you have more money, the Centaur line really is great, but as mentioned above, avoid the 2007 shifters (unless you're a recent Shimano convert, and then you'll feel right at home).

72gmc
02-25-2008, 12:32 PM
avoid the 2007 shifters (unless you're a recent Shimano convert, and then you'll feel right at home).

Or just don't hammer the shifters as much as some people evidently do. Seriously, 1 year, rain and wind, snow, even a few sunny days and no problems. I live in a hilly place and I try to minimize my shifts.

Nil Else
02-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Looking at page 53 of the linked PDF, there appears to be no bushing around the main index shaft at all.

BTW what's the deal with Campy Official site's Parts PDF? Where did the rest of parts PDFs go? Is this their attempt to prevent regular folks from knowing and discussing details/ inner workings of their stuff? Perhaps we've criticized the 2007+ Centaur shifters too loudly.... :no:

EDIT: Never mind. They've put all of them back up again. In the beginning, right after they redo their site they only had 2008 & 1980's or something.

chuckred
02-25-2008, 06:42 PM
Does anyone here have any feedback on Veloce?

With over 15k miles. Not at all babied - ridden in slop, rain, snow, and of course, sun. Now that the bike they're on is my winter and foul weather bike, they're coated with grit and grime. (I'll clean it one of these days...) They just work. Never have had the slightest problem.

I've got 2007 10 speed Chorus as well. It certainly works fantastically and looks great. But, to be honest, it doesn't make me go any faster.

oldfatslow
02-25-2008, 09:01 PM
I am building up a retro steel Italian bike and wanted polished components. I just ordered a Campy Centaur group for it but upgraded the shifters to Chorus. I will use a record head set. I just didn't have the time to eBay together a complete retro group. I am excited, however, and will post some photo's once built.

shinomaster
02-26-2008, 01:08 AM

Come to Portland.

DarrenCT
02-26-2008, 01:25 AM
Come to Portland.

cya in a few weeks :)

Nick Payne
02-26-2008, 04:45 AM
http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/Spares08_B_1007.pdf
http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/Spares08_C_1007.pdf

I have a mixture of Record, Chorus, and Centaur on a couple of bikes. Functionally identical between the groupsets, what you get for the extra money is less weight and better appearance, but in most cases the internals are identical. Have a look at the spare parts links above and you will see that for the majority of components Record, Chorus, and Centaur share the same spare part numbers, so what you get under the fancy Record finishing is the same as under the more utilitarian Centaur.

Nick

Dave
02-26-2008, 07:55 AM
I have a mixture of Record, Chorus, and Centaur on a couple of bikes. Functionally identical between the groupsets, what you get for the extra money is less weight and better appearance, but in most cases the internals are identical. Have a look at the spare parts links above and you will see that for the majority of components Record, Chorus, and Centaur share the same spare part numbers, so what you get under the fancy Record finishing is the same as under the more utilitarian Centaur.

Nick

Rather than bothering with comparing all the part numbers, let me make this more simple. The Record model has a lightened index gear with a low friction coating as the main difference with Chorus. That's why it's given the additional "ultra" designation.

The latest Centaur levers really don't share many components that affect the shifting, since the design is entirely different. There is no bushing on the main index shaft, no g-springs and an entirely different indexing gear. Parts like the brake and finger levers are interchangeable with higher levels, but the brake hoods are different.

Erik.Lazdins
02-26-2008, 08:27 AM
Rather than bothering with comparing all the part numbers, let me make this more simple. The Record model has a lightened index gear with a low friction coating as the main difference with Chorus. That's why it's given the additional "ultra" designation.

The latest Centaur levers really don't share many components that affect the shifting, since the design is entirely different. There is no bushing on the main index shaft, no g-springs and an entirely different indexing gear. Parts like the brake and finger levers are interchangeable with higher levels, but the brake hoods are different.

Would the Centaur shifters be more durable than Chorus?
Thanks -

Dave
02-26-2008, 09:27 AM
Would the Centaur shifters be more durable than Chorus?
Thanks -

Depends on whether Campy has fixed the problem with part number EC-CE060. Apparently some shifters had early failures of this part.

The G-springs are the parts to fail first with Record and Chorus. I bought a 4-pack of those, enough for two overhauls, for $12, so I don't see it as a big deal, but you do have to be willing to do the labor.