PDA

View Full Version : Tour of California

Buzz
02-24-2008, 06:26 PM
OK a break from politics and bans:

What a great week of racing. Lots of good action on every stage. Saw the prologue in Palo Alto. Looks like there were big crowds even with the sub par weather everywhere else as well.

The coverage was as good as it gets. The website and on-line viewing also excellent.

I hope hope hope this becomes a permanent event on the calendar.

stevep
02-24-2008, 07:11 PM
watched the last 1/2 hr.
nice go by the kid from bissell.

daam,
i woulda loved to see him get there.
s

97CSI
02-24-2008, 07:28 PM
Epic ride by GH. Hope this is harbinger of his 'Classics' performance this season. Agree that this should become a permanent fixture on the UCI calendar, along with Georgia at the other end of the summer.

DarrenCT
02-24-2008, 07:30 PM
im drinking a beer in honor of justin

he is my heromo

JMerring
02-24-2008, 07:32 PM
I concur - excellent event. Judging by the crowds (pretty much on every stage), was well attended as well. Also had a number of very high caliber riders. I predict this event will grow substantially in stature. Maybe if Amgen offers up enough $$, they can make it a must-race event for most of the top riders.

On a related aside, maybe after Levi's win Messr. Prudhomme will see fit to reverse his totally idiotic decision to exclude Astana. Probably not, but maybe...

Tom Byrnes
02-25-2008, 02:36 AM
Lucky me. On Saturday afternoon in Santa Clarita after Stage 6, I won a drawing at the Best Buddies booth and got to ride in a Mavic neutral Support Car on Stage 7.

Quite a way to see a day of racing!! I was pleasantly surprised by the large number of people who wave and smile when they see the yellow Mavic vehicles, loaded with bikes and wheels, approach. But, I guess I should not have been too surprised, as we have all seen those yellow support vehicles on television in the Tour de France for years.

We did not have to stop at all or assist anyone. Most of the time we were right in front of the Break or between the Break and the Peleton.

Big George and the fellows in the Break put in a very hard, cold day on their bikes. It got quite cold up there at the top of the mountain and the descent had to be tricky with the wet pavement.

The driver of my car, Jeff, who works for a Serotta dealer in Northern San Diego County, said the TOC crowds were much bigger this year in all of the cities. He was very knowledgeable about the racers and the organization of the TOC, pointing out Steve Haig (sp.), Mari Holden, Nelson Vails (sp.), and other cycling dignitaries who had been hired by the TOC to drive VIP or Staff cars. I have a new-found respect for the logistics and communications that have to occur in order to make the TOC work well.

Unexpected and unusual sight - Way up on Angeles Crest Highway, forty five miles into the stage and at an elevation of 4,000 feet, I saw two attractive women cyclists dressed in full Richard Sachs black cyclocross kits waiting for the cyclists to ride by. I have never seen any cyclist on the West Coast wearing the full RS kit before, let alone two women. I could not see their bikes. I wondered if they were friends of Justin's from the East Coast out here cheering him on.

Great way to spend a Sunday.
:)

Tom

saab2000
02-25-2008, 02:38 AM
Nice to see Flux make it to the finish! Great ride!

I didn't get to see any of it but it appears that this race is the real deal. Not just a showcase event for a few well-paid pros to show up at. Too bad the officiating sounds a bit odd.....