PDA

View Full Version : weather proofing your ride

dsimon
02-23-2008, 05:32 PM
besides fenders whats something else you do for example wax your frame with some exotic wax, car wax or your good ole fashion mop n glo? :confused:

FMS_rider
02-23-2008, 06:02 PM
besides fenders whats something else you do for example wax your frame with some exotic wax, car wax or your good ole fashion mop n glo? :confused: My favorite mechanic (Mike at Cronometro) recommends McGuire's wax. I am about to get some after he gave me a brief demonstration. I have been really impressed with Pedro's Bike Lust which looks great and helps to keep things clean for at least a few days, but Mike says that while Pedro's is great for a quick touch up, McGuire's looks better and lasts longer.

stevep
02-23-2008, 06:09 PM
McGuire's looks better and lasts longer.

mike is smart.
mike is right.
trust mike.

LesMiner
02-23-2008, 10:16 PM
My favorite mechanic (Mike at Cronometro) recommends McGuire's wax. I am about to get some after he gave me a brief demonstration. I have been really impressed with Pedro's Bike Lust which looks great and helps to keep things clean for at least a few days, but Mike says that while Pedro's is great for a quick touch up, McGuire's looks better and lasts longer.

I think the name is Meguiars Wax. http://www.meguiars.com/ (http://http://www.meguiars.com/)

Blue Jays
02-23-2008, 10:23 PM
Meguiar's is great stuff and I particularly like their Quick Detailer Mist & Spray for use on previously-waxed bikes to spruce 'em up before club rides.
Another excellent supplier is Mother's for top-of-the-line carnauba wax.

fierte_poser
02-23-2008, 11:16 PM
This is the real deal for paint protection:

http://www.zainostore.com/

Carnauba wax will not last nearly as long as Zaino. But, if you're set on carnauba wax, p21s knocks the socks off of Meguiar's:

http://www.autogeek.net/p2concarwax.html

02-24-2008, 01:13 AM
You didn't say what material your frame is made of, but Meguiar's has a plastic wax that's made for things like fiberglass boats that is absolutely superb on carbon frames.

FMS_rider
02-24-2008, 09:12 AM
Thanks guys for providing the correct spelling for Meguiar's. Since all I can do is look at my stunningly beautiful new Serotta until the snow and ice melt, and the salt washes away, I am going on the prowl for some today.
Lew

pale scotsman
02-24-2008, 09:23 AM
To weather proof your steel ride you need to go beyond just waxing and frame savering your frame. On bikes with quill stems I grease around the quill by the headset lock nut to keep water from getting in. Just put a dab on your finger wipe it down and into the gap, and then use a clean rag to get the excess off. I do the same with the seat post, and use pedros synthetic btw.

rePhil
02-24-2008, 09:32 AM
I switched to Ti. Living in coastal Florida is a challenge for steel. I pretty much gave up the fight. Keeping it clean and using pledge once in awhile is all it takes.

Tailwinds
02-24-2008, 10:54 AM
To weather proof your steel ride you need to go beyond just waxing and frame savering your frame.

Speaking of frame savering, how often are we supposed to do that? My poor Kirk has been exposed to way more salt and water this winter than last.

FMS_rider
02-24-2008, 03:13 PM
One thing that has helped considerably to keep my steel bike in rather pristine condition after 10k or so miles: I have an O-ring wedged between the top of the seat tube and lip of the seat tube collar. That together with a bit of electricians tape that covers the split in the collar has kept nearly all water out of the bottom bracket and kept the seat tube rust free (a mechanic at a bike shop I brought the bike to in order to have the bb threads chased --it had some welding splatter-- thought it was a virtually new frame --I don't think he believed me when I told him how many miles and years it had endured. I did coat the interior with Weigel's frame saver when the bike was new, but never replenished the original coat.

I plan to add an O-ring and tape to my new Legend even though the frame cannot rust: In my experience grit comes in along with wet-road splatter resulting in scratches on carbon posts when you remove them. I am looking for a silver tape that will blend with the Ti seat tube collar (duct tape is a bit too rough).

Lew

FMS_rider
02-24-2008, 03:26 PM
I spent some time on the Meguiar's web site and the number of their products, as well as the steps that pros go through for show-cars, are overwhelming.

Question for Meguiar's users: what do you use to keep polished Ti looking good?

Second question from the Meguiar's site: is the "gel coat" that is used on boats and other fiberglas creations also used on bikes? --i.e. is it a a form of clear coat that is used on carbon and/or paint? They have a special product for protecting and polishing gel coat.

(I assume it is pretty obvious that I have far too much time on my hands before the 86.7" of snow we have had here is melted so that I can ride my new bike!)

Thanks in advance for any input.
Lew

dave thompson
02-24-2008, 03:29 PM
Speaking of frame savering, how often are we supposed to do that? My poor Kirk has been exposed to way more salt and water this winter than last.
You can Frame Saver your Kirk as often as you like, though once a year in harsh conditions seems to work well.

Keeping your seat post well greased and having some sort of drain hole in the bottom bracket shell will also go a long way to keep your fine bike rust free.