PDA

View Full Version : Dura Ace seatpost

Todd Owen
08-26-2004, 11:48 AM
I have had 2 undersized DA seat post purchased recently which causes slipping of the post and alot of hassle. I just ordered a nitto post which I hope has better tolerances. Any other suggestions for a non black steel traditional looking post? BTW I have been a busy bad boy and will post my repainted white 88 Paramount, the resprayed Columbine, and the new Weigle.

Ozz
08-26-2004, 11:50 AM
traditional, non-black, bullet-proof....

Richard
08-27-2004, 07:21 AM
American Classic -- nice level adjustment and light

Too Tall
08-27-2004, 07:42 AM
Mark the post for top of seattube collar with tape and take it to a pro shop.

Ask them to "knurl" the post. If possible bring your bike and have them knurl it lightly and test fit and repeat until it is perfect.

Just for giggles and extra credit you could have them use a flex hone in the seat tube first to clean it free of corrosion n' relube...but it's prolly overkill.

TimD
08-27-2004, 07:54 AM
I recently had an email exchange with the folks at L H Thomson in which I jokingly suggested using a beer can section to shim a 27.2 post to a 29.4 seat tube.

To my surprise the reply came back that a beer can is about 0.2mm thick and works pretty well as shim material.

I didn't try it. Maybe bostondrunk knows? :)

TimD

Too Tall
08-27-2004, 08:07 AM
True enough...but I think you'll find a correct shim in the QBP catalogue and it looks a smidge better :cool:

Jeff N.
08-27-2004, 08:27 AM
Its not all silver, but my favorite all time seatpost is the now-discontinued MAVIC seatpost. They're still available occasionally on EBAY, and I've been lucky enough to score several for my bikes, all at decent prices. Its black anodized, with silver crown, with a somewhat generous setback. Looks BAAAAD! Jeff N.

eddief
08-27-2004, 08:45 AM
gorgeous

http://rivendellbicycles.com/webalog/saddles_accessories/11031.html

Peter White, Jitensha or Momovelo may have these in stock.

alembical
08-27-2004, 10:29 AM
What about the Thomson Elite? Good quality (available in silver or black), simple, no-nonsense post.

Alembical

Frank
08-27-2004, 12:30 PM
Last year I was doing some maintenance on my Steelman and found some dimpling on either side of my Thomson Elite seat post where it was clamped in the seat tube. I was concerned about the integrity of the seat post and returned it to Thomson asking them to take a look at it.

A few days later I had a phone message on my answering machine at home from Thomson. The fellow told me that the dimpling was not going to cause an
issue as far as durabilty, but even so he was going to send me a new one. He
mentioned the only time they see this dimpling on either side of the seat
post is when a seatpost is the wrong size (trying to use a 27.2 in a 27.4
seattube) or when the seatpost is overly tightened in the seat tube and the
seattube binder clamp digs into the seatpost. He asked me to make sure the
seattube was indeed 27.2 before he sent me a new seatpost.

I did verify it was a 272 seat tube, and called them back. I told them I may
have indeed tightened the seat tube binder bolt too much causing the damage. They replied they were going to send a seat post anyway and that it would not be necessary to crank down on the binder bolt as tightly as it sounds like I did as long as the seat post didn't slip or twist.

I only use Thomson seatposts on my bike because of their strength,
relatively light weight, and adjustability. Their excellent customer service
gave me even more reason to stay with them.

Marron
08-27-2004, 01:10 PM
Mark the post for top of seattube collar with tape and take it to a pro shop.

Ask them to "knurl" the post. If possible bring your bike and have them knurl it lightly and test fit and repeat until it is perfect.

Just for giggles and extra credit you could have them use a flex hone in the seat tube first to clean it free of corrosion n' relube...but it's prolly overkill.

I've tried both those remedies on a DA post and it still slips. I think it's the combination of a slick finish on the shaft and being slightly undersize. Oh, by the way, this is my second one.; the first one lost its head.

My current favorite is the somewhat obscure Salsa Shaft. It has one of the better clamping designs out there with slightly more setback than the Campy posts. The only downside is a slight weight handicap.

Jeff N.
08-28-2004, 01:19 PM
I don't like any seatpost that has anything other than a single bolt for adjustment, which is why I never have gotten a Thompson. The Salsa Shaft is the one exception...its a great seatpost! Seatpost slippage MAY be the bike's fault. Maybe your collar,or integrated binder bolt,has stretched out of shape or whatever, making it impossible for it to hold the seatpost tight enough to prevent slippage. Have you considered that? Jeff N.

Too Tall
08-29-2004, 07:53 AM
Hey Marron. Did you throw a set of calipers on that post? Just curious.