PDA

View Full Version : Need to lose 30 lbs, what is the best way to ride it off?

Moosedryvr
02-23-2008, 11:26 AM
I just completed a job that has kept me off the bike for over a year and now I want/need to refocus my priorities to getting back into some semblance of shape. I was already ~15 lbs overweight, but the lack of regular exercise over the last 14 mos added another 15. Now I want to work on getting down to a significantly lower weight (I'm currently 5'11" and 205#, target is 175#).
I know that the trick to this is to consume less calories than I am burning, that part I've got (my wife is a dietitian, so I've got that on my side, too). What I am requesting from the experts here on the forum is what type of riding will best help me lose the fat and weight most efficiently. My standard route is a rolling 30 miles and I used to ride it pretty hard (80-90% of my max heart rate). Would I be better served by riding less miles (same amount of time on the bike) at a significantly lower heart rate to burn fat or should I continue to ride it hard and go for max calorie burn? I've always found it hard to ride for long with my heart rate in zone 1, it just seems like I am out for a "stroll" on the bike, not a real ride. However, if this is what I need to do to lose the weight I'm all over it, I really want to get back to an optimum weight first, then concentrate on increasing strength, climbing ability, etc. if this is the way to go.
Also, can anyone suggest a good reference in designing a program to meet my needs? Any books/programs out there that anyone has had success with or is it as simple as getting out there and riding as much as possible while cutting back on the calories?
Thanks to all for you help in advance.

Vr,
Shawn G

SoCalSteve
02-23-2008, 11:38 AM
I just completed a job that has kept me off the bike for over a year and now I want/need to refocus my priorities to getting back into some semblance of shape. I was already ~15 lbs overweight, but the lack of regular exercise over the last 14 mos added another 15. Now I want to work on getting down to a significantly lower weight (I'm currently 5'11" and 205#, target is 175#).
I know that the trick to this is to consume less calories than I am burning, that part I've got (my wife is a dietitian, so I've got that on my side, too). What I am requesting from the experts here on the forum is what type of riding will best help me lose the fat and weight most efficiently. My standard route is a rolling 30 miles and I used to ride it pretty hard (80-90% of my max heart rate). Would I be better served by riding less miles (same amount of time on the bike) at a significantly lower heart rate to burn fat or should I continue to ride it hard and go for max calorie burn? I've always found it hard to ride for long with my heart rate in zone 1, it just seems like I am out for a "stroll" on the bike, not a real ride. However, if this is what I need to do to lose the weight I'm all over it, I really want to get back to an optimum weight first, then concentrate on increasing strength, climbing ability, etc. if this is the way to go.
Also, can anyone suggest a good reference in designing a program to meet my needs? Any books/programs out there that anyone has had success with or is it as simple as getting out there and riding as much as possible while cutting back on the calories?

Vr,
Shawn G

Having your wife as a dietician is great for you! I am sure she can plan a well balanced diet. Weight Watchers is another great way to help you lose weight as it is not a "fad" diet, just a way of helping you consume less calories a day. The nice thing about them is that they reward you for excercise.

The key to losing weight on the bike is to go for very long periods of time in Zone 2. Any slower or faster and you are not in your "fat burning zones".

There is a company here in Los Angeles that gives free lectures, does bike fitting, running analysis, etc. At one of their clinics, they used the term "better butter burner" meaning: staying in Zone 2 for long peroids of time and burning off the fat.

And, of course you know: less calories in than expended, right? I mean, thats the premise of any weight loss program. Well, not any...there are a hundred fad diets that will take the weight off of you short term, but once you go off the diet, the weight pours back on you again.

Of course age has a great deal to do with this whole equation as well...I find that the older I get, the harder it is to lose the weight...I am doing the same excercise and diet, but its taking twice as long to come off. Old age sucks!

Good luck to and whatever you do, find a way to make this a way of life, not a short term goal.

Steve

KeithS
02-23-2008, 11:46 AM
I lost 50 last year combining a low calorie diet with riding. I don't think I did it "right" but it worked. I ride an hour per day x 5 days and 2+ hours on weekends. No speed demon here, and didn't buy a heart rate monitor until January this year so HR zones were a mystery to me until recently. Working on building base this winter on the indoor trainer to do it right this season. 6 ft, 212lb from 267lb with a goal of 185 by end of summer '08. I'll be 52 by then. Two young kids and a demanding job so much more riding than I have been doing is marriage limiting...

Climb01742
02-23-2008, 11:51 AM
based purely on my own experience, i lose weight fastest when i do hard intervals on a steady basis. i actually lose more weight faster than if i ride longer but slower. fewer miles, harder intervals, more pounds lost. and oh yeah, starve yourself. FWIW, this just works for me.

bigbill
02-23-2008, 01:05 PM
Can you cycle commute? It jacks up your metabolism twice a day and it allows you to get your riding with less of an impact on your family life. I commuted every day in Hawaii and do it 2-3 days a week here in the PNW. I also brown bag everyday and only pack healthy stuff. I am working my way down to racing weight.

Chunky Dunker
02-23-2008, 01:15 PM
I lost 50 lbs. on South Beach and am still on it today because it makes sense. I race Mtb and CX and moved up from beginner clydesdale to sport in my age group and kicked butt. Took 2nd overall in our state mtb series and 5th overall in the CX series. I still eat like a pig, but the trick is eating the right things. that is what South Beach teaches you. You eat the right carbs, fats, etc. It basically is a whole food diet, but man it works and I am always full of good clean energy on race day!

Buy the book ($11-15) and don't skip any of the reading. If you do you will miss something important and then say -- I knew this diet would not work. I am a lazy eater (fast food junkie) so for me to keep 50 lbs off for a year tells you something. It is easy, and it works.

imm
02-23-2008, 01:55 PM
I dropped weight like a rock on Atkins and then got back on the bike after dropping 10 lbs and slowly reintroduced a high fiber, low fat diet.

One thing about Atkins, don't fall into the "fat is good" trap and eat salami steaks, etc., try to stick with fish, chicken and vegetables w/o carbs and then you can bring back carbs while kicking up the output on the bike.

South Beach is a great way too, may take you a little longer but easier to do at the start.

Consult your doctor first.

AgilisMerlin
02-23-2008, 02:02 PM
based purely on my own experience, i lose weight fastest when i do hard intervals on a steady basis. i actually lose more weight faster than if i ride longer but slower. fewer miles, harder intervals, more pounds lost. and oh yeah, starve yourself. FWIW, this just works for me.

i agree with everything above...........but i would replace starve with eating very little

and it is always realistic too break the cycle now and again.....jmo

Viper
02-23-2008, 04:34 PM
What they said. Close your mouth and stop putting food into it.

Eat less, then less and then less. Train more, then more and then more.

Climb01742
02-23-2008, 04:36 PM
i agree with everything above...........but i would replace starve with eating very little

totally agree. i was being overly dramatic. it just feels like starving. :-0

Viper
02-23-2008, 04:39 PM
totally agree. i was being overly dramatic. it just feels like starving. :-0

+1

93LegendTG
02-23-2008, 04:47 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Paleo-Diet-Athletes-Nutritional-Performance/dp/1594860890/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203806689&sr=1-1

Peter P.
02-23-2008, 05:06 PM
Here's the book I recommend:

http://velogear.com/prodinfo.asp?number=VP+BBC

I wouldn't go crazy or militant on the diet, either. Do so only puts your body into a protective mode where it will conserve the calories it "owns", making weight loss even more difficult.

Your dietician wife can steer you clear of the myths and fads.

What I found worked for removing fat with no discomfort and starvation was to make note of everything I ate daily, for a week. Then I analyzed it and changed ONE item to a low-fat alternative, adding another item every month. For instance, I cut out cheese, but only from my lunch. I switched from whole milk to 2% the next month. The following month I changed that to 1%. I eliminated soda from my lunch the next month.

This change in eating habits I vowed I would only follow during the week; the weekends I allowed myself the "forbidden" items. Funny though, after following the regimen DURING the week, it became an unconscious habit to continue it during the weekends, as well.

Now mind you, I only weigh 130 lbs. at 5'6", but particularly the cheese and soda limitations saw me lose noticeable amounts of bodyfat, and I didn't think I had any to lose.

I feel such "gentle" strategies, versus gung-ho dietary changes, are what help create long term, readily attainable fat loss goals.

Don't forget the book above for some sound riding advice. In my efforts, I didn't need to change my training at all.

nicrump
02-23-2008, 05:12 PM
24 pounds dropped in 4 months through portion control and riding. it really boils down to eating less and getting out on the bike. discipline is all you need. now go and find it.

Vr,
Shawn G

stevep
02-23-2008, 05:22 PM
congrats to you guys who have dropped a lot already.
keep doing what yr doing.
s
its the giant determinant of success on the bike.
everything else is incremental.

e-RICHIE
02-23-2008, 05:24 PM
congrats to you guys who have dropped a lot already.
keep doing what yr doing.
s
its the giant determinant of success on the bike.
everything else is incremental.
Puccipedia 21.3 atmo -

Smiley
02-23-2008, 05:25 PM
Moose Man , do they allow you the food that they eat in the back of the plane :) That's why your above your targets. Get a Bike Friday and do spins where your travels take u .

Have you gone to Belgium yet, if so stay away from their beer :banana:

Moosedryvr
02-23-2008, 06:32 PM
Thanks for all of the replies and great advice.
I am lucky to have a dietitian for a wife, now if I only will start doing what she says...
The job was killing me, 14 hrs a day with the commute was leaving me with absolutely no energy for getting on the bike by the time the weekend rolled around. I am so glad to be heading back to what I hope will be a more "normal" lifestyle.
I am really hoping to be able to live close enough to work in Belgium to commute by bike as much as the weather permits (I need to get some fenders!). The big thing for me will be cutting out all of the crap I've grown accustomed to eating because it was convenient. Too many times I found myself at Burger King because it was quick and available, not because it was what I wanted. I have already started the effort of eliminating as much refined sugar out of my diet as possible and trying to get at least 1 full hour of cardio into my routine each day. I am going to try to stick with the "long, slow distance" riding for a while too and see if that works for getting rid of the fat (actually the slow part is easy after being off the bike for so long).
Thanks again for all of the advice and kind words and congrats to all who replied with their success stories. Keep 'em coming, the goal is to be able to drink that Belgian beer and not come back the size of a house!!

Vr,
Shawn G

catulle
02-23-2008, 06:33 PM
To start:

1- NO sugar.
2- Lots of water.
3- Ride SLOWLY. That is, be mindful of your heart rate and stay within a range depending upon your age and conditioning.
4- Ride no less than an hour a day four or five times a week. No more.

Once you've lost most of the fat, then switch to whatever type of performance system you want.

Viper
02-23-2008, 06:59 PM
To start:

1- NO sugar.
2- Lots of water.
3- Ride SLOWLY. That is, be mindful of your heart rate and stay within a range depending upon your age and conditioning.

Once you've lost most of the fat, then switch to whatever type of performance system you want.

Great advice.

In terms of diet, add lotsa fiber. I eat 'Ezekiel' cereal (available at your local health food store). It has 24% of my fiber intake in one serving. Another cereal I eat has 44% of my fiber intake every am.

Losing 30 lbs is a big deal. Best advice (sounds dumb) is don't put it on in the first place.

cigarettes = seems like crack to those who smoke.
cigarettes = don't start, then you won't have to quit.
obesity = move away from the Twinkie before it's too late.

chuckred
02-23-2008, 07:03 PM
I Would I be better served by riding less miles (same amount of time on the bike) at a significantly lower heart rate to burn fat or should I continue to ride it hard and go for max calorie burn? I've
Vr,
Shawn G

All it means is that you're burning a higher percentage of fat than glucose. You will burn more calories and more fat, just not as high a percentage, at higher efforts...

That's not to say you shouldn't build your base up before you start doing intervals, higher intensity tempo, etc.... you should do that. But, if you can handle it, if you have a limited time, you'll lose weight faster with higher efforts...

At least that's my understanding...

Steve Hampsten
02-23-2008, 07:10 PM
i'm in the same boat as you, buddy - here's what i'm trying:

eating less and healthier

cutting back on sugar and alcohol

mix of lsd and intervals - i think the hard efforts really do work well for losing the flab

good luck, shawn!

dekindy
02-23-2008, 07:17 PM
It is true that you burn more fat calories in your fat burning zone but the harder you ride the more calories you burn which is the objective. So ride hard. Don't eat so little that your body goes into starvation mode and your body starts conserving body fat.

IMHO bicycling is not the best way to lose weight. You might lose the first fifteen pounds but I doubt if you will lose the other fifteen. You should lift weights and walk/run or aerobics to supplement cycling.

pdxmech13
02-23-2008, 08:13 PM
one easy way to decrease caloric intake is to drink water instead of other beverages.....including beer unfortuatly.

Blue Jays
02-23-2008, 08:15 PM
"...To start:

1- NO sugar.
2- Lots of water.

Once you've lost most of the fat, then switch to whatever type of performance system you want..."Good advice. To add to it further, each time you feel the desire to put food in your mouth, drink a big glass of icewater first.
Apparently the human body can confuse thirst and hunger signals from what the experts say.

Louis
02-23-2008, 09:50 PM
mix of lsd and intervals

Steve, wait until you move up to heroin - you won't believe how the pounds melt away.

AgilisMerlin
02-23-2008, 10:06 PM
replace two meals a day with coffee, and water as a chaser............... :banana:

paczki
02-23-2008, 10:43 PM
Steve, wait until you move up to heroin - you won't believe how the pounds melt away.
LSD lasts longer though, and kills the appetite. Avoid cannabis, it has the opposite effect :banana:

slowgoing
02-24-2008, 12:40 AM
My experience is that for an hour ride, harder is better. When I go slow, as soon as the bike ride ends, so does the calorie burn. For faster rides, I keep sweating for a while after it's over.

Climb01742
02-24-2008, 05:30 AM
My experience is that for an hour ride, harder is better. When I go slow, as soon as the bike ride ends, so does the calorie burn. For faster rides, I keep sweating for a while after it's over.

that is what the science says. it's why weight lifting burns calories longer. lifting weights is, in essence, interval training. short, intense, repeated burst of effort. same is true of intervals on the bike or running. it burns more cals during and after the session. additionally, if your time is short, it's a very effective way to use 60 minutes.

stevep
02-24-2008, 05:38 AM
one easy way to decrease caloric intake is to drink water instead of other beverages.....including beer unfortuatly.

put the water in a chimay bottle.
i make a lot of money selling the stuff to roman meal as
chimay- no calories.
$7 a bottle.

hope he doesnt see this.

Ray
02-24-2008, 05:58 AM
that is what the science says. it's why weight lifting burns calories longer. lifting weights is, in essence, interval training. short, intense, repeated burst of effort. same is true of intervals on the bike or running. it burns more cals during and after the session. additionally, if your time is short, it's a very effective way to use 60 minutes.
+1

The least I've weighed as an adult was when I was hitting the weights consistently. They say that muscle weighs more than fat and that weight work will make you fit, but not lighter. But I found it ramped up my metabolism to the point where I just burned everything I ate. I also wasn't lifting for bulk - I was doing more reps with slightly less weight. I was at 165 before and after doing weight work and was between 155-160 when I was. Unfortunately, I never enjoyed it and only stuck with it for about six months. Cycling doesn't do the same thing, but I've been at it for about 12 years now and still enjoy it. At my advancing age, I'm rarely south of 170 these days.

-Ray

fixednwinter
02-24-2008, 07:30 AM
+1

The least I've weighed as an adult was when I was hitting the weights consistently. They say that muscle weighs more than fat and that weight work will make you fit, but not lighter. But I found it ramped up my metabolism to the point where I just burned everything I ate.
-Ray

Ray and Climb's comments are what I've been doing since October and it's working. Overall weight loss in five months is over five pounds, but more importantly, muscle mass has gone up, fat content is down, according to the testing equipment at my local gym.

Besides diet, which you obviously have great advice already, get a program to plan out your limited exercise time. Steve H. has done the same, in getting a trainer. I worked with an online cycling coach last year, and this past fall, had a personal gym trainer to show me how to lift weights safely for two months.

For me, I work out six days a week, with one day of full rest. Three days are weights, three are cycling. The weights are a good break from riding in the cold (I live in Canada) this winter, so I actually look forward to them.

During the week, I exercise no more than one hour due to work time constraints. Weights early in the morning, my session, including a short warm-up, is no more than 45 minutes.

Mid-week cycling - no more than 60 minutes, sometimes as short as 35 minutes. These are filled with intervals. Weekend cycling sessions can be more than 2 hours, but even those, I have intervals that I do.

Having said that, since you've been away from regular exercise for a year, I would probably do the LSD base miles that Steve referred to first, to re-acclimate your body to the bike. Muscles, but also joints, need to get used to the motion and effort again. I'm handling the weights and intervals this winter OK, but that's cuz I've been doing a lot of cycling volume for the last four years, and the first two months of weights I did with my trainer was the base period (lighter weights, higher reps) for strength training.

As for fenders - for Europe in the spring time, they rule!! There's nothing like fenders in winter/spring time training conditions to allow you to keep going in (relative) comfort and prevent you from getting sick.

Ti-Boy
02-24-2008, 07:30 AM
Add resistance training to your plan. It helps burn calories; strengthen bones; and provides an alternative to the trainer or something to do on a snowy day.

Fat Robert
02-24-2008, 07:54 AM
i don't lose weight

here is what keeps me thin (7% fat these days)

* intensity: keep the workouts at 60 min or under, and go hard. tempo, VO2, LT, :20-:30 sprints.

* work out twice a day. during EST, I work out at 4:30 on the trainer for an hour, then ride for an hour around 4 or 5PM. You can handle more "volume of intensity" that way -- for example, if I do a 2HR ride, there's not getting much more than 60 min of L4 in. In two 1HR workouts, I can get in 35-40 min of L4 in each session -- so 70-80 min total, more time at muscle-building, calorie-burning intensities. the workouts are short, so the total fatigue stays low, and your cortisol levels stay lower, so not only are you burning more kjoules for the whole day (I can get about 1600kjoules in 2 1HR workouts if the intensity is good) than you would with one 2hr workout, but you feel less hungry.

When the time changes, I commute, then do an "hour of power" an hour or so after I get home in the PM.

forget the weights. i used to do a lot of that, but i've stayed leaner and more muscuar by doing two bike workouts a day.,.

Marcus Torino
02-24-2008, 10:08 AM
Eat soup.

You get more liquids and if you put the right stuff in it, minerals and all that good stuff, but without the fat. You'll go to bed feeling full and wake up hungry (and needing to pee which is good, flushes things out). Do home made soups, not the canned or package stuff. I stick a chicken in the slow cooker with vegetables, it takes me about a week to eat it all.

Viper
02-24-2008, 10:54 AM
i don't lose weight

* intensity: keep the workouts at 60 min or under, and go hard. tempo, VO2, LT, :20-:30 sprints.

* work out twice a day. during EST, I work out at 4:30 on the trainer for an hour, then ride for an hour around 4 or 5PM. You can handle more "volume of intensity" that way -- for example, if I do a 2HR ride, there's not getting much more than 60 min of L4 in. In two 1HR workouts, I can get in 35-40 min of L4. the workouts are short, so the total fatigue stays low, and your cortisol levels stay lower, so not only are you burning more kjoules for the whole day (I can get about 1600kjoules in 2 1HR workouts if the intensity is good) than you would with one 2hr workout, but you feel less hungry.

When the time changes, I commute, then do an "hour of power" an hour or so after I get home in the PM.

forget the weights. i used to do a lot of that, but i've stayed leaner and more muscuar by doing two bike workouts a day.,.

Great advice. Word up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKmtsN_gzMM&feature=related

Viper
02-24-2008, 10:56 AM
chimay- no calories.
$7 a bottle.

hope he doesnt see this.

LMAO. :beer:

flydhest
02-24-2008, 01:38 PM
While I think I agree with those who said it's better to keep it off than take it off, the OP doesn't currently have that option. That view does, however, give people an opportunity to be satisfied with themselves, so it serves a purpose. I intend to tranisition into one of those people soon.

Over the past 6 months or so, I've gone from 215 or 220 to just at or under 185 this morning (I always weigh myself at the same time, after having two glasses of water.) If the others who are contributing weight loss advice are the types that think 5 pounds is a lot . . . I'd be skeptical. The last 10 pounds I plan to shed will come off in the "do intervals" mindset, but that didn't work that well for me early on.

I did rides up to 2 hours with only water in the bottle for a long time. For rides over 2 hours, energy drink to keep from feeling like crap and to be able to finish the ride. I eat right when I get back from the ride to prevent a complete drop in energy. I find that when I let myself get very, very hungry, I eat too much.

One thing that I don't think I've seen anyone post is that I have also been trying to eat more often. Banana at 10:00 am, after being in the office for a few hours, means that when I get to lunch, I don't eat a lot. Indeed, I've been eating turkey on whole wheat with mustard, and a slim sandwich at that. Another banana at 4:00 means that I can eat a relatively small dinner. I don't skimp on butter or cream in my cooking, gotsta take advantage of that classical training, but I force myself to eat less and pay some attention to calories.

Unfortunately, some of the rapid shedding of weight came in the wrong way. When you're working so much that you don't get to eat during the day over the course of a few weeks, it adds up if you still commute to work by bike like I do, still do weekend rides (because otherwise you'd put a bullet in someone's skull) and don't compensate for the stress by eating a pint of ice cream each night. Not sure how I avoided my typical antics of eating as stress relief, but I did and I'm down 30+ pounds.

SoCalSteve
02-24-2008, 03:11 PM
While I think I agree with those who said it's better to keep it off than take it off, the OP doesn't currently have that option. That view does, however, give people an opportunity to be satisfied with themselves, so it serves a purpose. I intend to tranisition into one of those people soon.

Over the past 6 months or so, I've gone from 215 or 220 to just at or under 185 this morning (I always weigh myself at the same time, after having two glasses of water.) If the others who are contributing weight loss advice are the types that think 5 pounds is a lot . . . I'd be skeptical. The last 10 pounds I plan to shed will come off in the "do intervals" mindset, but that didn't work that well for me early on.
I did rides up to 2 hours with only water in the bottle for a long time. For rides over 2 hours, energy drink to keep from feeling like crap and to be able to finish the ride. I eat right when I get back from the ride to prevent a complete drop in energy. I find that when I let myself get very, very hungry, I eat too much.

One thing that I don't think I've seen anyone post is that I have also been trying to eat more often. Banana at 10:00 am, after being in the office for a few hours, means that when I get to lunch, I don't eat a lot. Indeed, I've been eating turkey on whole wheat with mustard, and a slim sandwich at that. Another banana at 4:00 means that I can eat a relatively small dinner. I don't skimp on butter or cream in my cooking, gotsta take advantage of that classical training, but I force myself to eat less and pay some attention to calories.

Unfortunately, some of the rapid shedding of weight came in the wrong way. When you're working so much that you don't get to eat during the day over the course of a few weeks, it adds up if you still commute to work by bike like I do, still do weekend rides (because otherwise you'd put a bullet in someone's skull) and don't compensate for the stress by eating a pint of ice cream each night. Not sure how I avoided my typical antics of eating as stress relief, but I did and I'm down 30+ pounds.

2 great points!

When you start your weight loss program, doing long slower rides (in zone 2-your fat burning zone) is a great way to shed the initial 10-15-20 pounds...after that, it will take more work (hill work-intervals, etc)...

and, the second great point being eat less but more often...When you eat a big meal, your bodies metabolism isnt as efficient as if you ate smaller meals but more often...Its not as convenient, but it does help take the weight off faster.

A good example of this is when you go to the WeightWatchers website and put in lets say...1 taco = 3 points...but, 3 taco's = 11 points....see the point?

Anyway, all great advice, but I truly feel that initially, long slow rides will be the best way to shed pounds...Might not be as much fun as pounding it, but its a much more efficient way for your body to shed the fat.

Good luck,

Steve

Climb01742
02-24-2008, 05:04 PM
i don't lose weight

* work out twice a day. during EST, I work out at 4:30 on the trainer for an hour, then ride for an hour around 4 or 5PM. You can handle more "volume of intensity" that way -- for example, if I do a 2HR ride, there's not getting much more than 60 min of L4 in. In two 1HR workouts, I can get in 35-40 min of L4 in each session -- so 70-80 min total, more time at muscle-building, calorie-burning intensities. the workouts are short, so the total fatigue stays low, and your cortisol levels stay lower, so not only are you burning more kjoules for the whole day (I can get about 1600kjoules in 2 1HR workouts if the intensity is good) than you would with one 2hr workout, but you feel less hungry.

robert,
do you ever find doing two-a-days mentally challenging? back in my triathlon insanity days, i worked out twice and sometimes three times a day. often, the mental part of getting geared up to train that second or third time a day was far harder than the physical part. how do you psyched yourself up for it?

93legendti
02-24-2008, 05:14 PM
e-RICHIE rides 70 minutes a day, 27/30 days a month and he looks to have the body fat of a supermodel...

Fat Robert
02-24-2008, 05:24 PM
robert,
do you ever find doing two-a-days mentally challenging? back in my triathlon insanity days, i worked out twice and sometimes three times a day. often, the mental part of getting geared up to train that second or third time a day was far harder than the physical part. how do you psyched yourself up for it?

it takes me back to my swimming days -- from 16-20, it was all about getting in the pool twice a day. in the midwestern winters when I was 19-24, winter base miles were done as two-a-days on the trainer. so, its a discipline that i developed early on, and regard as a pleasure, actually.

pdxmech13
02-24-2008, 07:57 PM
chimay- no calories.
$7 a bottle.

hope he doesnt see this.

Steve your a pretty busy guy....who does the bottling ?