PDA

View Full Version : Who here is sick of Bob Costas?? Poll!!

shinomaster
08-26-2004, 12:58 AM
I'm super sick of Bob Costas and his phoney likable personality. Why can't Dave Letterman Host the Olympics? Oops wrong network.

1) Should he be impaled in the Town square of Athens?

2) Tied to the top of the Parthanon so that birds can pick the meat off his bones Mongolian style?

3) Or should he be left to annoy the world with his dull use of the English Language?

Vote now!

shinomaster
08-26-2004, 01:09 AM
ok Maybe impaling him is a bit extreme...Sorry..How about sending him to a remote island with no T.V. camera??

caffeine power
08-26-2004, 06:30 AM
ok Maybe impaling him is a bit extreme...Sorry..How about sending him to a remote island with no T.V. camera??

Nope, should be a severe enough punishment to match what he has done to us... MLB announcing as well as that failed late night show he had...the one airing at 2am almost a decade ago. Even the infomercial folks were annoyed at him.

TimB
08-26-2004, 07:10 AM
The blather is killing me.

I say we strap him in a chair and make him watch Barney re-runs until he promises to just go away.

Kevan
08-26-2004, 07:23 AM
set an example here. All talking heads need to bare witness, that this can happen to them if they don't shut their yaps. Can I vote for all three (adding the remote island)... them being performed in the sequence given?

I say dead-air is good! :D

Geoff
08-26-2004, 07:45 AM
His performance or lack there of is on par with the overall converage provided by NBC.

Dekonick
08-26-2004, 08:25 AM
What coverage??

Jeff N.
08-26-2004, 08:47 AM
Costas doesn't bother me much. But Rosie O'Donnell! Thats another story! Jeff N.

shinomaster
08-26-2004, 10:34 AM
You guys are terrible!! I forgot to add the flaying option..with fire ants. :rolleyes:

csb
08-26-2004, 11:17 AM
isnt he just katie coric in drag?

arsegas
08-27-2004, 01:39 AM
I vote for death by riding a century behind me and gasman.

xcandrew
08-27-2004, 04:30 AM
:confused: :confused: :confused:
:confused: :confused: :confused:

What's wrong with Costas? He's done a very good job over the past dozen years or so as the Olympic TV host. I'm not sure where else I've seen a lot of him... World Track and Field championships some years maybe? He seems likeable, knowledgeable, quick thinking, does good interviews, doesn't embarrass himself or say stupid things like many commentators (Carol Lewis, for one, seems universally disliked among track and field fans for many many years...).

I'm also happy with the NBC coverage. The "up close and personals" type things are reduced from previous years and the ones that they do show are brief and interesting. They showed the men's 10,000 run commercial free from start to finish and made a lot of track fans like me pretty happy about that. :banana: Distance running fans are used to bad coverage... race start, break to a commercial, some no action early laps, break to an "up close and personal" and another commercial, missing the main break or action during the commercial, show the last lap. By comparison, this coverage is heavenly. Every night they have at least one or two long (30 min or so) commercial free segments and the others are fine with me since I need the breaks to run to the bathroom or get something to eat. The "live coverage" is only live on the east coast, but that's fine with me. It makes things predictable... I just need to stay off the internet to avoid spoilers. I'm glad I don't have cable, because then I'd be glued to the tube 24 hrs a day watching things like riflery (Darn it, I missed local hero Matt Emmons win gold and then lose another on a big gaffe on his last shot). I'm a guy who normally only watches an hour or two of TV a week, and not at all during rerun season. I got by without a TV for a year but bought one 4 years ago just for the Olympics because my gf and I are big Olympics fans...

BumbleBeeDave
08-27-2004, 07:08 AM
. . . don’t quite see what the problem with BC is.

To me, he pretty much IS likeable compared to Trautwig and so many others I have seen. I have not seen enough of the constant coverage to judge overall quality of NBC, but Costas is generally likeable, knowledgeable, and points out things that truly are interesting. I don’t think he is at his best having to “coordinate” all the other coverage--there’s no possible way he could have watched feeds of everything he has to talk about and he is obviously having to do some reading of stuff that’s fed to him. But in any individual sports coverage I’ve seen him in he does a great job.

Now if we could do something about Rowdy Gaines and the other unashamed cheerleader commentators who seem to think the US is the only country anyone cares about. That’s the biggest reason I have generally turned off the TV this year after an hour or so . . .

BBDave

bcm119
08-27-2004, 01:11 PM
I miss seeing Bob Roll every day.

Cheers to you, Bob. :beer:

Dekonick
08-27-2004, 04:10 PM
U.S. Olympic coverage just plain sucks. In Europe, even as far back as 1980, they showed events pretty much commercial free, and none of that non pertinant 'family history / life story' crap. You could watch the different country TV stations and get different sports (of course they covered their athletes - but that way you got alot of sports to pick from!) Its fine to talk about how great someone's life is, or how hard it was etc... but don't do it at the expense of real time coverage! Think how painful it was to watch the 'cutters' - who cares about the cutters? I dont - just show me the &*%$ tour!!!

Heh - I ramble and rant yet again... Can you tell I am stuck at work again on a nice day? Its killing me!!!!

Speedi Pig
08-27-2004, 06:06 PM
Generally, I don't care for two many talking heads (Trautwig, etc. :crap: ), and I do miss not seeing Bob Roll more often (as someone pointed out above).

Can't say that I'm a big Costas fan, but he did score some points with me when I heard him describe the 20K race walk at the 1991 Track & Field World Champs as "a little like a contest to see who can whisper the loudest." I howled; of course, Costas caught some flack over the comment.

shinomaster
08-28-2004, 02:00 AM
I don't blame Bob Costas for omitting cycling from the T.V. coverage. And yes he is non offensive and reasonably pleasant , and articulate, and tries hard to pronounce funny foreign names, which must make his pea brain spin. He does however tell crummy jokes, and is as bland as New England cooking. Ha ha...sorry to my Boston brethran, oh wait...no I mean that pesky jab! Sorry to all you Puritans!! Go find a chile pepper or some curry..

xxoo

Shino who grew up eating Turkish and French and Chinese cooking.. Three of the words best cuisines.