PDA

View Full Version : Best Shops in Raleigh/Durham/CHill Area

bobscott
02-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Going to the Raleigh-Durhan-Chapel Hill area for work. Anyone key me into best bike shops in the area?
Thanks,
bobscott

a100mark
02-22-2008, 03:37 PM
Hands down www.backalleybikes.net.......That said, be prepared to enter through a ghetto alley into a cinder block building with old rusty bikes, no new ones. However, Jason Merrill, the shop owner has got to be one of the best mechanics around.

As he says, "If your looking for new shiny plastic *****, please visit the areas other bike shops"

In all seriousness, he takes care of my serotta, since my local serotta dealer shut their doors a few months ago.

Other shops with a decent rep.....
Frank's Cyclery in Briar Creek
Spin Cycle in Cary

Pete Serotta
02-22-2008, 03:47 PM
Depends on where you go. Some wonderful shops are

Spin Cycle (Cary)
Franks (in Briar Creek)
Trek (North Raleigh) off Durant Rd

Also our own SPOKES has a great repair and parts facility....

PETE

rnhood
02-22-2008, 04:43 PM
In addition to the good recommendations already given, Cycles Spoken Here (http://cyclingspokenhere.com/) likely has fullest inventory of bikes, road and mountain. The The Bicycle Chain (http://thebicyclechain.com/index.cfm?display=homepage), which includes Franklin Street Cycles in Chapel Hill and, The Clean Machine in Carrboro are pretty good, tho the inventory is lighter. Of course there are preferences and biases as with just about anything but, really there is not a bad shop in this area.

If you're window shopping, Cycles Spoken Here might be your best bet. If you're looking for a top notch mechanic, Frank at Franks Cyclery or, Matt at the Spin Cycle are the people to talk to.

mvanhorn
02-22-2008, 04:43 PM
The Clean Machine in Carrboro (and I would assume The Bicycle Chain also since they are affiliated--Raleigh, Apex, and Chapel Hill) was listed as one of the top bike shops in a survey conducted by the League of American Bicyclists.

Mark