PDA

View Full Version : OT: That Willie Nelson guy sure can cover a tune...

Tom
02-22-2008, 01:13 PM
"Grave Digger,
Won't you dig my grave
shallow
so I can feel the rain?"

What a great tune.

Other fave lyrics from yesterday, I don't know what tune it was but one thing just jumped out at me...

"You'll get better,
but you'll never get well."

Fixed
02-22-2008, 06:15 PM
he 's 75 still goin strong
cheers imho

justinf
02-22-2008, 06:36 PM
Genius.

I'm crazy crazy for feeling so lonely I'm crazy crazy for feeling so blue
I knew that you'd love me as long as you wanted
And then some day you'd leave me for somebody new
Worry why do I let myself worry wondering what in the world did I do
I'm crazy for thinking that my love could hold you
I'm crazy for trying and crazy for crying and I'm crazy for loving you
I'm crazy for thinking...

Clydesdale
02-22-2008, 08:14 PM
You can break your eggs to count your chickens,
Or you can break your neck, to keep your ducks all in a row
But don't think every chance you take has to be a new mistake
that ain't necessarily so...

And every time I follow what I'm feeling
I end up in the same place my heart would have me go
If there's one rule of life I trust
It's everything outside your gut
ain't necessarily so...

Chorus...
I laugh when I can
I live with the rest
I learn that holding on means letting go
I try to be a friend
To the person on my left
They say you just can't be too careful who you know
But that ain't necessarily so

Fixed
02-22-2008, 08:33 PM
Too many pain pills too much pot
Tryin to be something that I'm not
Superman Superman
Tryin to do more than I can
I ain't Superman

cheers

KeithS
02-22-2008, 08:41 PM
Willie has reinvented himself several times, personally some of them I liked, some not so much. If you want some excellent Willie track down Red Headed Stranger from 1975. Speaking of covers "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain" was on that album. His own stuff was great too, Bloody Mary Morning, Crazy, Hello Walls...

capybaras
02-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Billy Joe Shaver is amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzrDTLDUb7o&feature=related

Viper
02-23-2008, 10:34 AM
Willie Nelson was on Miami Vice. Season 3, Episode 7, 'El Viejo' with Steve Buscemi too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ms3xMESY5A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf1GUQltCLI

WadePatton
02-23-2008, 11:18 AM
Don't blame me, I voted for Willie Nelson. :banana:

YO!!!
02-23-2008, 11:32 AM
[QUOTE=capybaras]Billy Joe Shaver is amazing

Not only is he bada$$ on stage, he don't take ***** from nobody...

Police in Lorena, TX about 80 miles north of Austin, issued arrest warrants April 2, 2007 on charges of aggravated assault and possessing a firearm in a prohibited place. This was in connection with an incident outside a tavern, Papa Joe's Texas Saloon in Lorena on March 31, 2007, in which Shaver shot a man, Billy Bryant Coker, in the face with a handgun. Coker's injuries were reported as not life-threatening.

Shaver's attorney stated that Coker had threatened Shaver with a knife and that Shaver had shot in self-defense. Witnesses interviewed by police report hearing Shaver saying "where do you want it?" and then, after the shot was fired, "Tell me you are sorry" and "No one tells me to shut up." Coker told police the attack was unprovoked.

After unsuccessfully attempting to surrender to police in Austin, TX, who were unaware of the warrant, Shaver turned himself in at McLennan County Jail in Waco, TX on Tuesday, April 3. He was released after an hour on $50,000 bond and gave his scheduled performance at Waterloo Records in Austin that evening

KeithS
02-23-2008, 11:36 AM
When I had hair, I wanted to have hair like the charactes on MV had. Cool links. I bet Willie forgot about the 1099 he got for that episode too.

capybaras
02-23-2008, 11:50 AM
[QUOTE=capybaras]Billy Joe Shaver is amazing

Not only is he bada$$ on stage, he don't take ***** from nobody...

Police in Lorena, TX about 80 miles north of Austin, issued arrest warrants April 2, 2007 on charges of aggravated assault and possessing a firearm in a prohibited place. This was in connection with an incident outside a tavern, Papa Joe's Texas Saloon in Lorena on March 31, 2007, in which Shaver shot a man, Billy Bryant Coker, in the face with a handgun. Coker's injuries were reported as not life-threatening.

Shaver's attorney stated that Coker had threatened Shaver with a knife and that Shaver had shot in self-defense. Witnesses interviewed by police report hearing Shaver saying "where do you want it?" and then, after the shot was fired, "Tell me you are sorry" and "No one tells me to shut up." Coker told police the attack was unprovoked.

After unsuccessfully attempting to surrender to police in Austin, TX, who were unaware of the warrant, Shaver turned himself in at McLennan County Jail in Waco, TX on Tuesday, April 3. He was released after an hour on $50,000 bond and gave his scheduled performance at Waterloo Records in Austin that evening

He is a little crazy but if you threaten someone with a knife you never know what might happen. You can't control other people. I hope things go OK at his trial. He is so great. :banana:

gdw
02-23-2008, 12:17 PM
The former Sheriff's, who ran that department for over 20 years, son in-law is a Coker.

H.Frank Beshear
02-23-2008, 03:56 PM
Here's a line from one my favorite Willie movies, there is a little language in it that may or may not be suitable for younger audiences ;) Btw Viper this is directed by Michael Mann

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxQacjKUL-M

Viper
02-23-2008, 04:31 PM
Here's a line from one my favorite Willie movies, there is a little language in it that may or may not be suitable for younger audiences ;) Btw Viper this is directed by Michael Mann

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxQacjKUL-M

Good stuff indeed. James Caan? The man inhaled all of the cocaine that Crockett and Tubbs took off the streets of Miami, there is another connection! Caan was prolly all zooted up in that scene atmo.

Great line at 1:40 into that video:

Caan - She don't know what I do, should I lie to her?
Willie Nelson - Lie to no one; if they're close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie and if they're a stranger, who the **** are they that ya need to lie to them?

atmo.

H.Frank Beshear
02-23-2008, 04:35 PM
Great line at 1:40 into that video:

Caan - She don't know what I do, should I lie to her?
Willie Nelson - Lie to no one; if they're close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie and if they're a stranger, who the **** are they that ya need to lie to them?

atmo.

Been a favorite of mine for years. :cool:

capybaras
02-23-2008, 09:19 PM
The former Sheriff's, who ran that department for over 20 years, son in-law is a Coker.

That is not good news. Damn Cokers.

rounder
02-23-2008, 10:29 PM
I like the fact that Willie is still playing his favorite guitar (trigger) holes and all and still gets great tone. Love the song "crazy" but my favorite willie song is momma, don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys.

davyt
02-24-2008, 01:18 AM
If you get a chance check out the version of "Still Is Still Moving To Me" that he did with Toots Hibberts.

YO!!!
02-24-2008, 06:34 AM
The entire Across the Borderline album is probably my favorite Willie recording.