PDA

View Full Version : OT Subaru Legacy

H.Frank Beshear
02-22-2008, 10:09 AM
Time for a new car, the Taurus has 140k on it. I drive 30-35k a year in sales for my company. I'm looking at the new 3.0R sedan, supposed to have the same suspension as the SpecB. Does anyone here have a Legacy Sedan? If you fold down the rear seats can you fit a bike in the trunk? I'm looking for something that will be fun to drive and get decent, not great, gas mileage. Subaru did away with the sport wagon this year and I don't want an Outback. Other possibilities are the new Accord or Maxima. Sorry Ken the Bimmer is a bit much to sell Garages (http://www.taylorgarages.com/) out of :cool: . Ideas and thoughts are appreciated. Biggest thing is getting the bike (61cm btw) in the trunk. Thanks Frank

Pete Serotta
02-22-2008, 10:15 AM
How about a Civic Si or a MAZDA 3 Sport (BB DAVE has one and I think GINGER does) or 6.

I rented a CAMRY SE which was nice BUT on that model the rear seat does not fold down. With the Front wheel off, your bike should slide through the HONDA ACCORD. Additionally the new TAURUS (old 500) has a new more powerful engine and some other upgrades. Ray has a FIT that he gets his bike in......

LOTS of choices.

ps BMWs are great in snow - - they are the only thing faster than a pair of skiis down hill - - :D :D

DarrenCT
02-22-2008, 10:20 AM
i've had a subaru outback 2.5xt for 3 years.

first of all, you'd have no prob fitting that bike in the back. just fold down the seats and you're good to go!

the 2.5xt is also a rocket. 250hp

i beat the crap out of my car and never had a prob

ps: i think e-richie has an outback. get his opinion

chrisroph
02-22-2008, 10:21 AM
got one for my daughter about 3 years. its a bullet proof decent car with lots of room. the seats kind of suck. this seems to be a subaru weak point. we've also got a wrx wagon in the family and the only thing i don't like about is that the seats are simply awful, even my 22 yr old son hates them. bike will fit with the seats folded but its tight.

an a4 wagon is a lot better and more comfortable car but of course its more $$$.

rphetteplace
02-22-2008, 10:26 AM
My last 2 cars have been Subies. They're indestructable. Because of the alltime awd they suck gas big time though. Great in snow also. I've got a wrx wagon and with the seats folded down i can get a 63cm bike in no prob.

Viper
02-22-2008, 10:37 AM
A used BMW = :beer:

If given the choice of a used BMW wagon, X3 or X5 or a Subaru, I'd go BMW. But DarrenCT is a cool cat, as is e-RICHIE so weigh that into the decision as well. I just can't stand the sound of the Subaru engine; I must have bionic hearing cause I can locate a Subaru from 8.7325 miles away.

I grew up knowing that Subarus were pos cars. Yes that changed a great deal in the 1990's. All this said, the WRX was a car I did consider. Ashame Subaru screwed up the body style of the new model atmo. I could see myself in a WRX.

BTW, here is DarrenCT's stretch WRX:

rphetteplace
02-22-2008, 10:41 AM
subaru = shimano
bmw = mavic mektronic left out in the rain

frogpirate
02-22-2008, 10:43 AM
We had a Imprezza Sedan previous, and traded it on a Honda Element. I was in the same boat at the time; I used the E for sales. I'm back inside now days, but we LOVE the Element. We leave on rear seat out all the time, and can toss 2 bikes back there no problem, even with aero bars on them. We have a Yakima rack for when we haul a whole gang, we cna easily haul 4 people, 4 bikes and gear for a out of town charity ride or whatever. Mileage is ~ 22-24 no matter what (automatic). It's no speed demon like a WRX, but it's a great all-around bike/people hauler.

Here is a picture of ours set up as support for the Race Across Oregon last year. My wife and I crewed for the winning soloist:

Viper
02-22-2008, 10:44 AM
subaru = shimano
bmw = bmw

:beer:

I wouldn't be unhappy in this though:

http://www.subaru.com/shop/overview.jsp?model=IMPREZAWRX&trim=STI&command=overview

305HP, 288 torque, rides on rails etc.

jhcakilmer
02-22-2008, 10:45 AM
+1 on the subi!! I love them, and would still own one, if they were a little larger to accommodate the fam.

Why not just use a hitch rack, doesn't effect mileage like a roof rack, and doesn't get your car dirty with it inside.

Just a thought.

justinf
02-22-2008, 11:07 AM
We have the newer Outback (2005) and it is an awesome car for outdoor pursuits. The accessibility is so much better in the wagon/outback imho. The V6 is surprisingly quick and is tons of fun to drive over challenging roads. . . even with bikes on the top. Ours has been flawless now for 40K.

DarrenCT
02-22-2008, 11:12 AM
A used BMW = :beer:

If given the choice of a used BMW wagon, X3 or X5 or a Subaru, I'd go BMW. But DarrenCT is a cool cat, as is e-RICHIE so weigh that into the decision as well. I just can't stand the sound of the Subaru engine; I must have bionic hearing cause I can locate a Subaru from 8.7325 miles away.

I grew up knowing that Subarus were pos cars. Yes that changed a great deal in the 1990's. All this said, the WRX was a car I did consider. Ashame Subaru screwed up the body style of the new model atmo. I could see myself in a WRX.

BTW, here is DarrenCT's stretch WRX:

viper, isnt that beer mountain? :)

BumbleBeeDave
02-22-2008, 11:21 AM
. . . also has a lot of room in the back. Very large space if you fold down the rear seats and the luggage shelf is removable. My MazdaSpeed3 goes like stink! Great fun to drive!

BBD

pjm
02-22-2008, 11:31 AM
. . . also has a lot of room in the back. Very large space if you fold down the rear seats and the luggage shelf is removable. My MazdaSpeed3 goes like stink! Great fun to drive!

BBD
Gotten any tickets in that thing yet, Dave? That is a true pocket-rocket.

burlsube
02-22-2008, 11:35 AM
I have a Subaru Outback Sedan which is essentially the same thing as Legacy. I couldn't be happier with it. I trade my VW Passat with 4motion in for it since it was having some electrical problems. I drive about 35k a year and besides regular maintenance it hasn't need a thing.

Viper
02-22-2008, 11:41 AM
I have a Subaru Outback Sedan which is essentially the same thing as Legacy. I couldn't be happier with it. I trade my VW Passat with 4motion in for it since it was having some electrical problems. I drive about 35k a year and besides regular maintenance it hasn't need a thing.

Jeepers, I drive 25K a year, I thought that was a lot.

dnades
02-22-2008, 11:45 AM
saab wagon is huge in the back. decent mileage too. 28-32 mpg. comfortable. very decent power when needed although a bit of a lag due to the turbo. cpo will give you a full warranty for six years from date of original sale or 100K. Take one for a drive. You might like it. :D

dirtdigger88
02-22-2008, 11:49 AM
http://www.thetorquereport.com/pontiac_sema_g8_concept_003.jpg

http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/pontiac_sema_g8_concept_001.jpg

fun to drive- 6.0L motor and a 6 speed- under $30k

Jason

Ginger
02-22-2008, 12:18 PM

BBD

Yep, even the non speed version of the Mazda3 is good. But I think with two girls the car is a bit small. I've had my Mazda 3 five door since November of 2006 and I have 50,000 miles on it.
My particular car had a bad fuel pump when I got it (and a tire that was out of round...) but it has settled in to being a good car.

I'd look at the Mazda 6 wagon...or even the Mazda 5? The Mazda 5 is the cross over vehicle that is the same car as the Mazda 3 but with a bigger body and a different gearing in the transmission. Both the 3 and 5 are built on the volvo platform. I'm not sure where the 6 fits in.

Of course, you probably would prefer something that is identifiable as an American brand...

Since you put similar miles on your vehicle that I do, you might find the standard maintenance (per the owner's manual) a bit much to stomach. Look into that on any vehicle.
The Mazda 3 is an inexpensive car with an expensive maintenance schedule. But I think I find that in part because I put so many miles on the vehicle they come up pretty quick.
As someone who used to write those sections of the maintenance manual, I know which services are required and which ones the engineers throw in to make sure the dealership is making service money on their vehicles...(it's not a conspiracy theory, it's real...) AND some services are based on mileage when they're actually services that should be based on time...so those of us who put 20,000 miles a year on our car are going to come up with several services done twice that just need to be done once a year...(if we only drove 5-7,000 miles a year..."normal" they would come up at the proper time period) Make sense?

eddief
02-22-2008, 12:18 PM
Nothin fancy, good mpg, room up the yinyang, not perfect, but damn good. Wow, that Pontiac looks like a CAR! Maybe GM will get it together before they go bankrupt.

dirtdigger88
02-22-2008, 01:12 PM
Wow, that Pontiac looks like a CAR! Maybe GM will get it together before they go bankrupt.

that car is being imported from down under- they have a version in Europe that has a 427 cu in motor in it- :cool:

Im waiting till next year for the GXP version- should be near 450 horses. . . 6 speed- the Goat just may have to go bye bye

Jason

eddief
02-22-2008, 01:30 PM
I prefer smooth rounded surfaces on my alloys.

jerk
02-22-2008, 01:34 PM

Jason

that holden is bad arse.

jerk

Louis
02-22-2008, 01:35 PM

Jason, your new house is very impressive, but how do you get the bikes through the front door? :p

Louis
02-22-2008, 01:37 PM

Dave, what kind of mileage do you get? (Eventually need to replace the Integra - 160k and counting)

Louis

pjm
02-22-2008, 01:58 PM
that holden is bad arse.

jerk
GM has finally figured out that a lot of their best offerings are sold elsewhere and that Americans might actually be interested, like the Holdens (Pontiac) and Opels (Saturn).

Ford has the excellent Mondeo in Europe, but refuses to sell it here. :confused: We get the mediocre Fusion instead.

dirtdigger88
02-22-2008, 02:25 PM
the new Camaro is on a Holden platform too- actually the same one at the G8

http://babytmac07.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/2009-camaro-convertible-ren.jpg

Jason

Viper
02-22-2008, 02:59 PM
Dirtdigger, The Force is strong with you. My father had it. I have it. And---you have it too.

I drive an E39 03 525 which I installed a Sport Suspension, M5 rear sway, polyurethane bushings, Michelin Pilot Sports etc. It rides on rails. That said...there are two American cars that catch my eye on the road, the Cadillac but more so, the Pontiac.

I caught a Pontiac on the road the other day and thought, wow, "That could be my next car."

Edit: PS Dirtdigger - would you change your avatar signature to 'Feel the Force'?

legacysti888
02-22-2008, 03:06 PM
'Driving an '05 LGT 5MT sedan. Back seats do not fold, but I suppose it helps in chassis rigidity. Very, very reliable - even at 350whp. Fits my 56cm bike in the back seat fine, btu have to take off the front wheel. I love my car. Gas mileage kinda sticks though.. wiht almost 90% urban city driving, I'm getting an avg of 18mpg on premium (it's a turbo.) The stock car rides fine for family use or for most people but it's a littl 'loose for me, so I had to tighten it up a little. The new Spec B or LGTs have fold down back seats which is even better! I think I read the new Spec B's sprint to 60 in about 5.1 and the 1/4 in 13.6seconds. not bad for a stock sedan. :D

jerk
02-22-2008, 03:12 PM
gray market a four door r32 into the country. the car really is the bestest. or live with the two door and a lease 2bills and change.

jerk

Climb01742
02-22-2008, 04:15 PM
gray market a four door r32 into the country. the car really is the bestest. or live with the two door and a lease 2bills and change.

jerk

how's the veedub treating you?

ps: hey, grabbed the 'nago at the shop minutes before they closed early. fenders look awesome. thanks! and please tell jeff much appreciated.

jerk
02-22-2008, 04:42 PM
how's the veedub treating you?

ps: hey, grabbed the 'nago at the shop minutes before they closed early. fenders look awesome. thanks! and please tell jeff much appreciated.

its awesome. super solid and super fast. fit and finish seems as good if not better than current bmws although perhaps not quite as solid as the e46 was. engine doesn't sound as nice as the bimmer; more raspy not as deep still a good note though; but the car is even faster and seems to handle without any limits. also, the short wheelbase means it always feels fast; which means i should get in less trouble with it even though its quicker than the bimmer.

the dsg transmission, which was the only thing i thought i wouldn't like is probably the best aspect of the car. in "drive" it shifts super early so for just putting around the car gets good mileage. but in "sport" or even when you give it alot of gas the thing shifts just above redline which is awesome....as for the manual mode, i used it for about half an hour.. then you just let the car do its thing because it does it better than you ever could. i will use the paddles to downshift before a sharp corner on a sudden uphill; but pretty much if you just leave the thing in sport its perfect.

worse thing about the car is that if you pop the hood its got a giant empty spot toward the front where vw may as well have written "insert supercharger here". but the newton streets did attack and gave me two flats. it turned out to be cheaper to replace all the hurting all-seasons with four falken azenis rt-615 than to buy two new dunlop all seasons....so the car as it stands is a little unprepared for the white stuff thats coming down. that being said, all wheel drive plus super slick summer auto-cross tires is still as good in the snow as the bmw was with vredestein snow tires.

but it is white and it just looks like a golf to everyone out on the road which is nice.

glad you like the fenders. i'll let jeff know.

jerk

shanerpvt
02-22-2008, 08:23 PM
i'm gonna buy one of these just as soon as i know my incoming Kirk will fit in the back.

"Available 2.0L TDIŽ Clean Diesel offers mid-50s MPG on the highway*, "

i drive 55-65k annual for my sales gig.........50 mpg would save me mad frn.

:banana:
shaner

kipjac
02-22-2008, 08:39 PM
:no: I would approach Subaru's with a healthy degree of trepidation; I've owned two Outback wagons and both of them have undergone head gasket repairs. Luckily, the latest one was under warranty, but the older one was not and it cost me $1850.

Older Subaru's have a history of head gasket blowouts, especially the models built and sold between 1996 and 2003. Some owners have had very frustrating experiences with dealers who delayed repairs with cheap finger-in-the-dike sort of minor fixes just so the warranty period would expire, then the owner would have no recourse but to pay the bill in full.

eddief
02-22-2008, 08:47 PM
VW's.

christian
02-22-2008, 08:51 PM
:no: I would approach Subaru's with a healthy degree of trepidation; I've owned two Outback wagons and both of them have undergone head gasket repairs.

Just avoid the 2.2l DOHC engines. SOHC 2.2 fours and the 2.5 fours, as well as the sixes are pretty bulletproof. Not an issue on the newer cars, AFAIK.

(Full disclosure: used to race cars for Subaru, now just drive my Benz to the market.)

goonster
02-22-2008, 09:28 PM
The thing that bugs me about Subarus, is the fuel usage. If were to drive 40k+ mi/yr for work (I do), and didn't have to have AWD, low twenties wouldn't cut it. Just saying . . .

(Full disclosure: used to race cars for Subaru, now just drive my Benz to the market.)

Christian, do you really have a W124 500E? If so, I'm jealous. :beer:

cs124
02-22-2008, 11:47 PM

Jason

If you like your GTO you are really going to love the G8. It (well the Commodore SS) gets rave reviews down here, apart from the required questions about fuel economy and environmental responsibility. The new chassis really is a step up and the price/performance ratio is unbeatable.

The 7.0l version was done by Corsa Special Vehicles, a private tuner that seems to have a "special" relationship with the factory. You can buy one with trick brakes, suspension and deluxe interior for less than half what an M5 costs. There are also a couple of development mules running around with the supercharged LS9 (?) from the upcoming ZR1 Vette...now that's fast.

dirtdigger88
02-23-2008, 07:33 AM
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/6748/screenshot002rx2.png

now THATS effin hot

Jason

Don
02-23-2008, 07:57 PM
My wife drives an '07 Legacy sedan and I have an '08 Tribeca. Both vehicles can carry bikes without any problem. Between the two of us we've owned 7 Subarus since 2001 beginning with an SVX. We've driven Imprezas and Outbacks including the 6 cylinder LL Bean model. We've never experienced mechanical trouble except for a faulty window switch on the SVX which was replaced under warranty.

I do agree with others who exclaim the cars are "bullet proof." Even though all wheel drive is not as economical as two wheel drive, the safety and performance makes up for the added cost and fuel consumption. The Legacy averages a bit over 27 mph and the Tribeca averages a hair over 20 in combined city/highway driving.

Don
02-23-2008, 07:59 PM
The SVX was a 1991 model!

KeithS
02-23-2008, 08:58 PM
Company rides in last 7 years have been Impala, Taurus, Impala. Impala is Fierte friendly. One of my friends just got a new redesigned Taurus and likes it. Mileage on Impala is 30+, less on E85 - if you could find it. Very middle of the road option package but great sound system, only additional option the Canadians bought me is remote start. The car is also very cost effective.

Wayne
02-23-2008, 10:47 PM

I also had a passat that I just sold, it was the worst car I could imagine. I would get carpel tunnel syndrome if I was to type out all the problems.

Sandy
02-24-2008, 12:08 AM
I also had a passat that I just sold, it was the worst car I could imagine. I would get carpel tunnel syndrome if I was to type out all the problems.

Wow! Must have had a bunch!!

Sandy

Eric E
02-24-2008, 01:00 AM
Much better off road due to wheels closer to bumpers. It will fit about 3 bikes in the back using a board with fork clips on the folded rear seats - much better than a Outback due to the higher roof. Cheaper, too. Oh, and it even fits my (smallish) Santana tandem with the rear wheel between the front seats and the front wheel off!

Best, Eric

Longdaddy
02-24-2008, 10:19 AM
I have owned 4 Subaru's. Currently have a 2006 Forester and a 97 Outback Sport. I get 28-32 mpg in the Outback Sport and about 27 or so in the Forester.

Reliable!

christian
02-24-2008, 10:47 AM
Christian, do you really have a W124 500E? If so, I'm jealous. :beer:

Yeah - it's a 94, though, so it's actually a W124 E500. Even with current gas prices, it's pretty cool. I just got 17" EvoII wheels and BFG KDWs, too. I think I'm going autocrossing, come summer!

BarryG
02-25-2008, 08:29 AM
I'm looking for something that will be fun to drive and get decent, not great, gas mileage.Impreza WRX 5-Door - bike fits with both wheels on, lotsa fun, and hyper-reliable.

rdparadise
02-25-2008, 11:05 AM
I had a 2002 Outback that I sold last year. Mechanically a fine vehicle, however it was extremely uncomfortable to me during drives of more then 2 hours. The seats are firm however, I would get back aches on long rides. I decided to sell it based on this fact.

Versatility wise the wagon was excellent.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Bob

burlsube
02-25-2008, 11:29 AM
I'll agree that the seats aren't the best. Volvos have the best seats IMHO. The latest version of Legacy/Outback's seem to have better seats then Impreza or Foresters or even early model Outbacks.

IXXI
02-25-2008, 11:53 AM
Christian-- maybe you can help me; I am on my first Subie, an 06 Tribeca which I love everything about except the performance. Bought it for the room, the price, the style, etc and the fact that there arent a bazillion on the road. But I know there just HAS to be something that can give me more horses (I don't need Cayennelike power) or better shift points or something... or is the motor just that weak? I can live with it, but sure do miss the a car with some a$s to it.

legacysti888
02-25-2008, 12:27 PM
Take a look at this link:
http://www.motortrend.com/features/performance/112_0611_2006_cobb_tuning_subaru_tribeca/

Cobb Tuning is a household name for Subie owners who like to have a little more kick than stock. I have it on mine and I like it! Me likey a lot. :D

IXXI
02-25-2008, 12:33 PM
yeah, i saw that... i like the idea a lot, was just hoping for some other alternatives to putting $5k+ into the car. i got this bike thing happening you know.

legacysti888
02-25-2008, 12:44 PM
Whatever you do for better performance, your gas mileage is going to take a dive. My Legacy averages 18mpg in city only driving.

sc53
02-25-2008, 01:04 PM
How come no one ever mentions the Acura RDX in these kinds of threads? I'm in love with that car--a small sport SUV. Seats fold down, bikes/dogs fit inside, fun to drive etc. Is it because it's too expensive or uses premium gas? BTW I don't own one, just wish I could. I drive an Acura TSX sedan with bikes on top and had a near miss with my brand new Ottrott back in 05 as a result of wind shear at highway speeds :(

christian
02-25-2008, 02:11 PM
Christian-- maybe you can help me; I am on my first Subie, an 06 Tribeca which I love everything about except the performance.
Yeah, the Tribeca is nice, but is a bit slow for the performance-oriented driver. The '08 has a bigger 3.6l H6 and a 35lb.-ft. bump in torque, but that doesn't really help you. (Besides, they neutered the styling, so you should stick with the 06.) Cobb does offer a supercharger/ECU/exhaust kit, but that seems a bit extreme to me, given that 'beca is primarily a grocery- and kid-hauler, no?

Short of that, there just isn't all that much you can do with a modern normally-aspirated engine to make it go.

I'm afraid that the answer is live with it... If it's any consolation, I don't find any of the quicker SUVs to be any better as daily drivers. The MDX performance is close enough to be a wash, but that's probably as close as a "faster Tribeca" you'll get. The bigger, thirstier Infinitis are just so hideous I can't recommend any of them in good faith. The X5 is a decent car, but it always sets me thinking about just how much better a 530 wagon is... And the XC90 is slowish, too, and its temperament is even more docile.

- Christian