PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Update Article on Electronic Dura Ace

alancw3
02-22-2008, 09:07 AM
http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/new-electronic-dura-ace-group-emerges-14611

Blue Jays
02-22-2008, 09:14 AM
alancw3, very cool find. Eventually they will integrate the shifting battery someplace somewhat hidden with a custom bracket and wiring harnesses.
It would be lots of fun to see this system up close on a workstand. Good catch on the velopress. :beer:

HSG Racer
02-22-2008, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the article. I can't see any benefits to it though. Can anyone point out what the advantages are with going electronic? I'm a big fan of DA10 but I don't see how going electronic will improve the existing DA10. Electronic is probably going to be heavier and it seems to me that it would not be as trouble free as the cable systems. What happens if the battery runs out of juice in the middle of a long ride? Call me a pessimist but I'm not sure that this is going to be a winner for Shimano.

:confused:

R2D2
02-22-2008, 09:37 AM
It is supposed to shift faster.
Whether that's a benefit????????
I read they carry a spare battery pack on training rides.
I guess team car would carry a spare.

regularguy412
02-22-2008, 09:38 AM
There was an interview as part of the ToC coverage. I do not remember precisely who the person was that was giving the information, but Frankie Andreu was conducting the interview. It was stated that the electronic shifting package would be lighter than current DA due to the removal of the internal shifting mechanism from the brake levers. It was also mentioned that the battery charge 'should' last about 3 days under normal riding circumstances before needing a recharge.

Mike in AR :beer:

swoop
02-22-2008, 09:45 AM
it shifts faster
it self trims
it feels more precise
its will be lighter

it will cost 25% more.

BURCH
02-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the article. I can't see any benefits to it though. Can anyone point out what the advantages are with going electronic. I'm a big fan of DA10 but I don't see how going electronic will improve the existing DA10. Electronic is probably going to be heavier and it seems to me that it would not be as trouble free as the cable systems. What happens if the battery runs out of juice in the middle of a long ride? Call me a pessimist but I'm not sure that this is going to be a winner for Shimano.

:confused:

My thoughts exactly. It is such a simple cable system that I don't see why it needs to be converted to an electronic system to be improved. Not everything has to be electonic to be better.

pdxmech13
02-22-2008, 09:47 AM
It will be a stepping stone for groups aimed at casual cyclist eventually.
Kinda like the auto shift of the road kingdom.

Viper
02-22-2008, 09:57 AM
I don't want anything electronic on my bike; when the aliens come and prevent all electronic circuits from working, I want to be able to still ride.

electronic shifting = consider alien attack first

rinconryder
02-22-2008, 09:57 AM
no cable stretch? I agree, lame, but who knows......

gt6267a
02-22-2008, 09:58 AM
automatic transmission ... shifts when your cadence is not in range ...

David Kirk
02-22-2008, 09:59 AM
This topic seems to upset and threaten more than most. What's up with that? It's not like they will stop making cable driven stuff and leave us high and dry.

Dave

DarrenCT
02-22-2008, 10:00 AM
It will be a stepping stone for groups aimed at casual cyclist eventually.
Kinda like the auto shift of the road kingdom.

i agree, which is why i drive a stick shiftmo

Viper
02-22-2008, 10:00 AM
automatic transmission ... shifts when your cadence is not in range ...

That's what the aliens want you to think atmo.

14max
02-22-2008, 10:06 AM

sg8357
02-22-2008, 10:07 AM
If you are worried about battery performance, get a Schmidt dynohub,
with the Ride & Charge device, it will charge your battery as you ride. :)

More seriously, the system is for Racing bikes, meaning the team mechanic
is there every evening to charge the battery, the team car has a spare etc.
No one expects to use a Formula 1 car to make a doughnut run, why should a
a race bike be expected to ?

Henri Desgrange is dead, progress marches on.

slideways
02-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Saw Bill Humphreys (aka The Bike Guy) recently. He mentioned a visit to see his friend Wayne Stetna who has been ridding the electronic group. Bill was especially impressed with the front shifting and that was inspite of the fact that he said Wayne is using the Rotor Q-Rings!!

I owned both editions of Mavic's electronic shifters and actually thought they were great...... when they worked. The first generation worked well and the problem of not being water proof enough was a non-issue in SoCal. I always felt if maybe they fixed the water tightness problem but left it a wired system it might have taken hold. The wireless version was a pain because the signal would get jammed some how and you have to reprogram the computer. You got really good at programing your computer though. Being able to shift from multiple spots was good.

alancw3
02-22-2008, 11:39 AM
i agree with everyone's apprehensions about electronic shifting but as i have gotten older and hopefully wiser i have learned to keep an open mind. let's see what develops. i don't see myself running out to buy anytime soon though. cost/benefit would certainly be a factor. it is interesting to read about and i am sure that the people at shimano have thought about the upside potential for commercial success.

1centaur
02-22-2008, 11:39 AM
swoop got it right.

the potential to have perfect chain alignment in every gear is interesting. I am sure the watts arithmetic types will have fun with lower friction loss calcs and the cheapskates will talk about less chain wear. I even wonder if some day a different chain construction can be used because it won't have to flex diagonally.

Pulling metal from side to side should be slower than actuating it, though I don't know how meaningful that will be.

Lighter is a moving potential as battery technology emerges. Make the battery 2mm thick and flexible (solar too?) and lose the wires and some of the physical heft necessary to pull them and decent weight can be saved.

As for running out of juice, you end up stuck in the gear you were in. Eventually, should be some ability to manually move the chain to get over a hill. Ugly, but not like car-out-of-gasoline ugly.

Not a lot of point leaping at the first year's attempt, I think, but an obvious path to improvement at the high end, IMO.

jerk
02-22-2008, 11:42 AM
i think its awesome.

jerk

David Kirk
02-22-2008, 11:46 AM
As for running out of juice, you end up stuck in the gear you were in. Eventually, should be some ability to manually move the chain to get over a hill. Ugly, but not like car-out-of-gasoline ugly.

If anything like the Mektronic system you can just move the derailluer by hand to any gear you want and it stayed there. So while running out of batteries would be a paint it wouldn't mean you have to go up that climb in too big a gear.

I have no idea if the DA system is similar.

Dave

Spicoli
02-22-2008, 11:52 AM
Make it illegal like auto tranny's in F1! Bike should not have batteries IMO :crap:

BdaGhisallo
02-22-2008, 12:23 PM
I think we can count on Shimano to get this right. All of the reports on electric shifting, whether it be about Shimano's or Campy's version, have been universally enthusiastic. The feedback from the professionals riding it indicates that they will love it. Also, from a pro mechanics perspective, it will mean less work each day as they won't have to tune up the drivetrains on a ton of bikes. From all reports, this stuff will tune itself, or will eliminate the need to be tuned.

I am considering getting this when it comes out. Sure it may not look as elegant as the mechanically actuated version but the advantages may outweigh that.

Ozz
02-22-2008, 12:25 PM
...It's not like they will stop making cable driven stuff and leave us high and dry....
are you sure? :cool:

mechanical shifting = Breguet
electronic shifting = casio

:beer: :beer: :beer:

BTW - I liked the video ad for joining the Royal Marines Commando.....looked like the opening scene from "Saving Private Ryan".....except no blood and everybody lived. :rolleyes:

BdaGhisallo
02-22-2008, 12:28 PM
They won't stop making cable actuated drivetrains any time soon at least. There will be two new DA groups next year, one cable and the EDA.