PDA

View Full Version : horizontal dropout to SS

Climb01742
08-25-2004, 01:57 PM
is it possible to convert a frame with horizontal dropouts to a single-speed set-up? a horizontal dropout is basically (sorta) a track dropout turned the other way, no? if the answer is yes, is there anything to watch out for? thanks.

saab2000
08-25-2004, 02:03 PM
... has horizontal dropouts and I have it set up single-speed. No issues at all. Plus, I can convert it back to a 10-speed racer anytime I want! :beer:

It is with vertical dropouts that you will run into a problem. You will need some way to tension the chain.

But a horizontal dropout should be no problem at all.

Marron
08-25-2004, 02:56 PM
Of course you should refer to Sheldon Brown's excellent fixed gear writings, but the short answer is that you really don't even need horizontal dropouts, even verticals will do.

I'm currently riding a Merckx as a fixed gear. That bike has the more modern Campy horizontal drop outs which are not particularly long. I've successfully converted a bike with semi vertical dropouts to fixed and that was before I had access to the various calculators that now reduce the trial and error needed to get the chain tension right. As a matter of fact; this morning I was flipping the wheel around to revert to fixed and I was thinking that it was actually easier to use a vertical dropout. No messing around with the chain tension and track nuts, just pop it in and go.

Smiley
08-25-2004, 04:01 PM
Horizontal drop outs are preferred Sir Climb . Look at Williams Raleigh this is the same as mine ( drop outs I mean ). You can also use a White Industry Hub for semi vertical drop out now too . Lots of options ..go fixed .

keno
08-25-2004, 05:19 PM
I would opt for locknut fastening with a wrench rather than qr skewers. You would want the strongest grip you can find. Pulling that wheel out can be both dangerous and expensive; I speak from experience with forward facing horizontal dropouts.

keno