PDA

View Full Version : 10 abandons..

swoop
02-21-2008, 10:28 PM
today... and Cipo finished tenth? I'm amazed.... You can't fake wanting it on a day like today.. every guy that finished suffered... and Cipo was right there...
I'll never use being 43 as an excuse for anything....
I don't know how he recovers... errr... actually, I have an idea ... poor podium girls.

coylifut
02-21-2008, 10:36 PM
one of the guys in my office stumbled upon the TOC as he was staying in a hotel not far from Monterrey. said he met Cipo and some guy they called the cricket in the hotel bar drinking recovery beverages. that last 20k looked some of the most brutal racing ever.

swoop
02-21-2008, 10:41 PM
its all sweet and looks like something we all do.. and then you see them on the gas and how violent it is and you realize.. what they are doing and what we do are such different things.

swoop
02-21-2008, 10:49 PM
somebody better get to dominique and tell him not use use a no setback seatpost....

dannyg1
02-22-2008, 12:18 AM
somebody better get to dominique and tell him not use use a no setback seatpost....

My God, why is his bike so small?

Danny

shinomaster
02-22-2008, 12:28 AM
My brother hung out with Cipo (lucky basterd) during the tour of Georgia. He said Mario was all smiles, friendly, and gave my brother a sandwich+autographs.

regularguy412
02-22-2008, 07:35 AM

When I saw that pic, I thot it was the return of Sean Kelly. Sheesh ! He looks uncomfortable,, and not just because of the speed/duration of the race.

Mike in AR:beer:

Geoff
02-22-2008, 07:43 AM
I dont think he looks that bad. He is on the tip of the saddle giving the gas so he looks a little tight but if he were to sit normal on the bike I think it would be about right.

G

michael white
02-22-2008, 08:30 AM
well, it's a big drop for a normal joe. . . way more than I could handle, but he's not doing the Sunday burrito ride, either.

and we can't see the stem, so it's hard to tell about the size.

barry1021
02-22-2008, 08:36 AM
his hands and arms are just along for the ride.....

AgilisMerlin
02-22-2008, 08:41 AM
TOC
dry
or
wet
today

what are they looking at ?

Fixed
02-22-2008, 08:47 AM
My God, why is his bike so small?

Danny
h.g.h. it fit when he got it
cheers

LegendRider
02-22-2008, 08:58 AM
h.g.h. it fit when he got it
cheers

Ha!!! POTM

pdxmech13
02-22-2008, 09:37 AM
Tommy D was under the radar this whole time until he dnf.
I think this will be his last season on a large squad.

saw the other thread about dude mentioned above.

rollin fits that bike just fine....guy is out racing the entire peloton :banana:

swoop
02-22-2008, 09:41 AM
the bike fits. he's a big dude making himself small in the wind and he's on the rivet...

regularguy412
02-22-2008, 09:49 AM
TOC
dry
or
wet
today

what are they looking at ?

Wet, methinks. Watched the forecast last nite. They 'may ' get lucky and it will miss them, tho.

Mike in AR

blharrell
02-22-2008, 10:00 AM
the bike fits. he's a big dude making himself small in the wind and he's on the rivet...

Exactly...

John H.
02-22-2008, 10:47 AM
That is not a great picture. Did you watch the coverage last night? He looked perfect on his bike as he rode away from a break containing Hincapie. Perfectly flat back powering like a real pro.

SWorks4me
02-22-2008, 10:59 AM
today... and Cipo finished tenth? I'm amazed.... You can't fake wanting it on a day like today.. every guy that finished suffered... and Cipo was right there...
I'll never use being 43 as an excuse for anything....
I don't know how he recovers... errr... actually, I have an idea ... poor podium girls.

And they get an invite to Belgium...

Oh PLEASE let them into Ghentmo atmo!!!

jerk
02-22-2008, 11:01 AM
quebecois know how to ride in the wind....always have. its flat, cold and windy at almost every stupid bike race in quebec...and dudes like that kill it.

you guys should have seen the stage he won at beuce a couple of years ago....i was driving the car incompetently for nerac.....50mph winds-rain coming from the left.....everyone one of my guys save one dropped out....this is the conditions dudes like this live for. that day was really weird for me. i had never been so jealous in my entire life. i wanted to grab a damn spare bike off the roof and ride in that shi'ite....all while seeing people getting blown off the road; riders sitting in wet ditches crying, swearing, riders trying to work up through the convoy only to almost make it to the back of the peloton, then get dropped again back through the car....

talk to any tough guy american who's been forced to race in canada- you don't know how to work an echelon untill you've seen canadians do it.

if they weren't such anti-corporate anti-semites i'd gay marry grant and become one.

jerk

BumbleBeeDave
02-22-2008, 11:23 AM
. . . over in the TOC pictures thread. It definitely did not look like fun out there!

BBD

Grant McLean
02-22-2008, 11:30 AM
quebecois ....

if they weren't such anti-corporate anti-semites i'd gay marry grant and become one.

jerk

Ok, so you know that nobody who lives in a city in Quebec actually gets married right?
You just live with a woman for 15 years, have 3 or 4 kids, and still refer to her as your "girlfriend".

true story.

:)

-g

jerk
02-22-2008, 11:37 AM
Ok, so you know that nobody who lives in a city in Quebec actually gets married right?
You just live with a woman for 15 years, have 3 or 4 kids, and still refer to her as your "girlfriend".

true story.

:)

-g

that's ok. we just need to make sure our house doesn't have any front steps so we can avoid property tax too. it's still under construction. throw me down the stairs my hat grant, the pea soup is getting cold.

jerk

Fat Robert
02-22-2008, 11:46 AM
that's how i look on my bike

i suck but i look cool

that dude rocks

Grant McLean
02-22-2008, 11:54 AM
that's ok. we just need to make sure our house doesn't have any front steps so we can avoid property tax too. it's still under construction. throw me down the stairs my hat grant, the pea soup is getting cold.

jerk

ok, you convinced me.

How do we ensure our kids have the best cycling genes from both of us?
I'm worried they'd get the Pantani ears from my side, without the ability
to climb...

-g

michael white
02-22-2008, 11:59 AM
[QUOTE=they'd get the Pantani ears from my side, without the ability
to climb...

-g[/QUOTE]

thumbtacks.

AgilisMerlin
02-22-2008, 12:00 PM
ok, you convinced me.

How do we ensure our kids have the best cycling genes from both of us?
I'm worried they'd get the Pantani ears from my side, without the ability
to climb...

-g

this would be a good beginning......and a world time trial champion to boot

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=39561

http://www.procyclingwomen.com/Images/Zulfia-Zabirova-11.jpg
http://www.procyclingwomen.com/Images/Zulfia-Zabirova-16.jpg

jerk
02-22-2008, 12:10 PM
that's it. i'll force myself to bang ms. zabirova while thinking about canada and pretty flowers and tim hortons..then we'll adopt the gay love child of mario cipollini and frank vandenbroucke.

jerk

AgilisMerlin
02-22-2008, 12:19 PM
that's it. i'll force myself to bang ms. zabirova while thinking about canada and pretty flowers and tim hortons..then we'll adopt the gay love child of mario cipollini and frank vandenbroucke.

jerk

cmon,

i would cross

bugno/fondriest/big mig.................. :D

http://www.elpais.com/comunes/2007/ciclismo/img/giro_indurain.jpg
http://grahamwatson.com/dublin/misc/images/image68.jpg
http://www.classicrendezvous.com/images/Italian/fondri_L.jpg

regularguy412
02-22-2008, 12:27 PM
Wait. How did this thread get from 10 abandons to Grant and Jerk having kids together? :confused:

( Geez ! An' I thot the shaving/color of-- threads were on the edge )

:beer:
Mike in AR

(Don't talk to me about inbreeding. There are only 5 last names here, anyway.)
:D

Grant McLean
02-22-2008, 01:03 PM

jerk

my tim horton's chili lunch just aboot came out my nose!

-g

SWorks4me
02-22-2008, 01:06 PM
watching yesterday (what we could) was an inspiration! I had the same feeling...wanting to suit up and take a pull and rotate in the echelons. Training in weather like that is one thing, but pinning a number on and going "hard man"....wow! I love it. the more brutal conditions the better. Don't get me wrong, I hate the cold, but racing in the spring...well, you gotta do what you gotta do.

The best spring race i did was an 80 mile RR and it was snowing but the ground was warm enough that it didn't stick, just to the grass. our shoulders and backs were covered. we rode along side one another knocking the drifts off our teammates. Just surreal...

Tom
02-22-2008, 01:10 PM
My bestest ride I think so far, or at least up in the top five or so, was the day I went out west of town up on the hill and the rain changed to snow and I was riding along in the wheel tracks of the cars and then when I came back off the hill I was going fast enough that the whole front of the bike and the bars and the back of my hands iced up. That was fun.

flux
02-22-2008, 04:26 PM
I have never suffered like that on a bike before and I had decent legs all things considered. That was 7 hours of being in a very dark place.

DarrenCT
02-22-2008, 04:28 PM
I have never suffered like that on a bike before and I had decent legs all things considered. That was 7 hours of being in a very dark place.

spinbro

you're a stud. good job bro.

ps: we all want Svelte Cycles jersey's and hats in honor of your skills

jerk
02-22-2008, 04:29 PM

did your headset freeze? nice ride today bro. yesterday looked mp.

jerk

SWorks4me
02-22-2008, 04:29 PM

Congrats on a very solid TT today...and for raging in the rain yesterday! Keep it up bro!

-justin

girlie
02-22-2008, 04:31 PM

That's why you call it the coffin "dark place" - right?
Great work out there!

swoop
02-22-2008, 10:44 PM
it hurt to watch on the interweb in the comfort of home. i can't imagine what the chamois went through.