PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic pulleys?

shinomaster
02-21-2008, 10:16 PM
Are they worth $100? What can a ceramic pulley do? Why are ceramic products packaged with red packaging? Do I need them on my cross bike?

swoop
02-21-2008, 10:19 PM
no.
i've had two sets.... shifting is never as good with them and they're loud. you only notice them when you're cleaning the bike.
that being said i did get second in my first race with them.

if you're doing it..its purely ***elry. if you wan to go this route.. do your hubs.

great.. i can't write gewelry because of the j word?

anyway.. if you must .. use chuck from superflycycles.com and tell him noel sent you. of the ones i've used these are the best made, nicest, most solid, sexiest, etc...

shinomaster
02-21-2008, 10:22 PM
no.
***elry. if you wan to go this route.. do your hubs.
Is this a line from a Woody Allen movie?

Avispa
02-21-2008, 10:29 PM
Are they worth $100? What can a ceramic pulley do? Why are ceramic products packaged with red packaging? Do I need them on my cross bike?

Not sure they are worth the bucks.... But I gather we all have had different results with this stuff. For me, if there has been a ceramic part that has worked well, these (der. pulleys) would be the ones!

I had no luck with the ceramics on my Campy cranksets. The ceramics on my Mavic wheels where good, but I didn't notice the difference, really. But these der. pulleys are pretty much maintenance free and sure have a better seal than OEMs.

Another thing I have noticed, at least with the CeramicSpeed pulleys for Campy, is that they spin one heck of a lot better than the OEM. And they are as quiet as Campy.

..A..

swoop
02-21-2008, 10:33 PM
my vote is spend 75 bucks and do your crank/bb's. i think if they're is any gain to feel you'll feel it there. the swoop hierarchy is hubs, cranks, washer and dryer, g/fs vibrator, and then maybe pulleys after you do your skateboard and the elevator at work.

coylifut
02-21-2008, 10:34 PM
waste of effin money. get an extra set of tubular cx wheels instead. you'll need 'em. we're dragging you to every cx race in the region.

chrisroph
02-21-2008, 10:54 PM
we're dragging you to every cx race in the region.

only if he shows up with gas money. :banana:

shino, don't waste you're $$$$ on those things.

shinomaster
02-21-2008, 10:56 PM
waste of effin money. get an extra set of tubular cx wheels instead. you'll need 'em. we're dragging you to every cx race in the region.

DEal. I'll bringthe jokes, and the beer.

shinomaster
02-22-2008, 12:13 AM
my vote is spend 75 bucks and do your crank/bb's. i think if they're is any gain to feel you'll feel it there. the swoop hierarchy is hubs, cranks, washer and dryer, g/fs vibrator,

Swoop for President!

Blue Jays
02-22-2008, 12:20 AM
I wouldn't replace perfectly serviceable pulleys with new ceramic ones, but if my old ones were trashed I would certainly consider it then.

shinomaster
02-22-2008, 12:25 AM
I wouldn't replace perfectly serviceable pulleys with new ceramic ones, but if my old ones were trashed I would certainly consider it then.

My old ones are wicked trashed. I need new ones. What should I get for Campy 10?

Love,

ME

:banana:

swoop
02-22-2008, 12:27 AM
stock campy. it just keeps the shifting tight.

shinomaster
02-22-2008, 12:29 AM
stock campy. it just keeps the shifting tight.

Ok where do I get a ceramic Vib****r?

Blue Jays
02-22-2008, 12:37 AM
"...My old ones are wicked trashed. I need new ones. What should I get for Campy 10?..."

Love,

MEshinomaster, definitely visit your local bicycle shop to compare the two pulleys side-by-side before purchasing.
I would be inclined to stick with the Campagnolo ones, but you may find you prefer the aftermarket ceramic model. Good luck with the purchase. :)

shinomaster
02-22-2008, 12:42 AM
shinomaster, definitely visit your local bicycle shop to compare the two pulleys side-by-side before purchasing.
I would be inclined to stick with the Campagnolo ones, but you may find you prefer the aftermarket ceramic model. Good luck with the purchase. :)

Thanks, I'm really a tightwad, and have no interest in spending $100 on two little pulleys, unless it will change my life or something..

Blue Jays
02-22-2008, 12:57 AM
"...Thanks, I'm really a tightwad, and have no interest in spending $100 on two little pulleys, unless it will change my life or something..."Whether sticking with Campagnolo replacements or opting for the ceramics, it likely won't make a truly measurable difference. It might be a tiny incremental improvement or you may simply prefer the aesthetics of the ceramic model. I tend to keep my components stock and use factory replacements, myself. My friend changed to ceramics for his Dura-Ace and likes them. Slightly different sound and they definitely look good on the bike. Enjoy.

oldguy00
02-22-2008, 04:12 AM
Swoop,

Do you race in Cat 1/2?

soulspinner
02-22-2008, 06:20 AM
I read some where that because they spin the fastest and collect the most gunk, pulleys are the first place you should spend cash on ceramics. Next they claimed spend on the outboard bearing cranks as some of them have quite a bit more drag than sqare tapers. When I see how freely some of the best hubs with surgical stainless bearings roll on my work stand I fail to see how I could get significant benefit from ceramic there.

ada@prorider.or
02-22-2008, 07:20 AM
It seems with all the talks about ceramics that itīs the new gold,(carbon)

and people expect wonders of it

Dave
02-22-2008, 07:57 AM
One disadvantage of pulleys with sealed cartridge bearings is the lack of side play in the top pulley. You may find that cable tension requires more frequent adjustment to keep the shifting crisp.

The other potential problem that I see is the intrusion of water, dirt, cleaning solvents and chain lube into the bearings. They could easily get trashed and you'd never know it until the bearings nearly seized up.

I prefer good old shielded (not sealed) brass bushings in my pulleys. I give mine a shot of spray lube at least once a week. Chain lube getting to the bushing won't hurt a thing.

chrisroph
02-22-2008, 09:02 AM
shino you should have got a $40 centaur rear drlr from smashbar.

Ahneida Ride
02-22-2008, 09:28 AM
Well, I did break down and installed the FSA blue Ceramic Pulleys for
Campy.

To be honest, I can't notice any difference. My LBS guru seems to like
em.

nice bling factor, but worth 100 frn ? :confused:

swoop
02-22-2008, 09:59 AM
Swoop,

Do you race in Cat 1/2?

old guy...
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=485611#post485611

would you like me to post results? give me your email.. pm me and i'll send you all the results.
i don't think its important. i have nothing to hide.
is this mancrush or are you jealous...?

i'm well aware that i don't make a living on a bike. i've said i suck... but that doesn't mean i'm stupid or that people that do make a living share a lot of info that i pass on for the sake of conversation.

i'm debating getting licensed as a 2 for a local non usacycling promotor's races so i can do the 100k crits... shall i copy that license for you?

i still suck regardless.

but i have used ceramic bearings/pulley's from two different manufactures, i did talk to a big domestic team's ds about them, i also talked to a mechanic that all the pros use out here for wheel building... those conversations and the having used the pulleys are the source of my comments. i've even traded emails with the guy that makes ceramic pulley's about tricks to make them function better....

how about you.. what is it you're contributing here? have anything valid to offer....

i'm trying to save shino a hundred bucks..

palincss
02-22-2008, 10:39 AM

What is there that a replacement derailleur pulley could possibly do that would be worth $100?

zank
02-22-2008, 10:44 AM
Ceramic pulleys or most of a Dugast Rhyno? I'd kick in the few extra bucks and get a whole Dugast Rhyno. Or wait for the new Challenge mud tread.

Every extra cycling penny you have after you pay your race entries and split gas money with your buddies should go towards wheel/tubular investments. And yes, I did call them inestments. They will pay dividends later.

shinomaster
02-22-2008, 12:32 PM
shino you should have got a $40 centaur rear drlr from smashbar.

I did...Ask Zank. HE was jealous. ZAnk!! Shhhhh about that new Challenge tire!

chrisroph
02-22-2008, 12:42 PM
I did...Ask Zank. HE was jealous. ZAnk!! Shhhhh about that new Challenge tire!

well than stop whining and just put it on. i wish i had bought a couple, i love those things, you can't tell the difference between them and the record stuff.

brians647
02-22-2008, 12:54 PM
I read some where that because they spin the fastest and collect the most gunk, pulleys are the first place you should spend cash on ceramics. Next they claimed spend on the outboard bearing cranks as some of them have quite a bit more drag than sqare tapers. When I see how freely some of the best hubs with surgical stainless bearings roll on my work stand I fail to see how I could get significant benefit from ceramic there.

Yep. That mirrors my experience 100%.

And, Swoop, Your earlier posts on this thread had me laughing my arse off. Trying to explain why I was laughing to my wife never seems to translate well. :D

shinomaster
02-22-2008, 01:20 PM
well than stop whining and just put it on. i wish i had bought a couple, i love those things, you can't tell the difference between them and the record stuff.

Put it on what? It's a spare... :) It was also $37... :)

SoCalSteve
02-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Swoop for President!

Didnt I say that in a previous thread?

Just sayin'

Steve

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=488725&postcount=74

swoop
02-22-2008, 01:50 PM
i have to say that the ceramicspeed pulleys look and feel better made than the fsa's....
and if you get them... really just get them for the look... and enjoy.

think of them as dirty hot lingerie for your bike.

i just did the ceramicspeed bearings for my bb... cus the stock ones were fouled... and its purely a fetish rather than performance for me.

Grant McLean
02-22-2008, 01:56 PM
Didnt I say that in a previous thread?

Just sayin'

Steve

Ya, he was just sayin' :)

-g

shinomaster
02-22-2008, 02:08 PM
It's true. I have few original thoughts.

chrisroph
02-22-2008, 03:20 PM
Put it on what? It's a spare... :) It was also $37... :)

strip the wheels and use the rest for spare parts. see you should have bought two. and you are leaving out shipping costs.

you need to check out my new 36 spoke centaur hub gp4 cross wheels that i built for about $225 with all new parts. I should have bought another pair of hubs.

shinomaster
02-22-2008, 04:02 PM
strip the wheels and use the rest for spare parts. see you should have bought two. and you are leaving out shipping costs.

you need to check out my new 36 spoke centaur hub gp4 cross wheels that i built for about $225 with all new parts. I should have bought another pair of hubs.

I have more parts than I need...You'll see.