PDA

View Full Version : layers under your jerseys

sfscott
08-25-2004, 02:28 AM
Anyone wear layers under jerseys in warm weather. I see all the claims about keeping you cool, but isn't another layer just more clothing.

I get really warm, so this is an issue. OTOH, something soft to keep my...um... sensitive chest parts from getting ground down on long rides, would be helpful.

If so, anyone have any favorites?

shinomaster
08-25-2004, 02:38 AM
Buddy, so sorry!

I hear about wearing a mesh tank under my bibs to cool me down but I haven't tried it yet. Why should such a top cost $50? After all it's all holes right? Less thread required! Good question..

Needs Help
08-25-2004, 03:58 AM
...but isn't another layer just more clothing.

Your right, more wicking fabrics make you hotter--otherwise we would all wear two layers of full length tights, two long sleeve jerseys, and a couple of balaclava's over our heads to keep cool.

You might want to try some vaseline or some chamois butter on sensitive areas.

Ozz
08-25-2004, 08:35 AM
I prefer comfy and a little warm to pained, slimy and cool. Actually, I have not noticed that I am siginifcantly warmer with an underlayer than without.

Pick up a nice Craft undershirt and you will be fine.

Richard
08-25-2004, 09:04 AM
There is a difference between thermal wicking clothes and wicking undershirts for use in warmer weather. I find them useful and comfortable. If you want to try the concept without spending a lot of money, look in running stores or catalogues for closeout singlets. They can be had for under $20, sometimes under $10 and they are nearly as effective as the expensive stuff.

Marron
08-25-2004, 11:08 AM
I wear Craft sleveless tops year round and find them comfortable even on what passes for hot days out here in Seattle. I did buy a Supergo vest this July, which is lighter and more ventilated, but really can't feel much difference.

I find it uncomfortable to wear bibs and a jersey without something in between and my impression is that I don't get quite as sweaty wearing the Craft tops.

Bruce K
08-25-2004, 11:14 AM
I'll back up the Craft suggestion.

I wear the Craft lightweight sleeveless undershirt under my bibshorts and jersey on any day under mid 80's. I find wearing the tank-style top to be much more comfortable than having a damp cycling jersey stuck to my skin.

In cooler weather I use the Craft mid-wieght t-shirt and in cold weather the Craft with the wind-block front, but that only comes out in sub-45 degree weather so as not to boil.

BK

caffeine power
08-26-2004, 06:37 AM
I shold take a look at the Craft product. I've been wearing sleeveless cotton T's under jerseys, but not skinsuits, don't want to look like a dork :rolleyes: Between 60 & 90 degrees I'm fine that way. If I have to wear knickers or tights I'll have a silk long sleeve under my jersey. Yes silk. Light, indestructable and ohhhhh so soft. I have grey, white and black with different heights of collars for varying temperature.

froze
08-26-2004, 10:16 PM
I discovered after living in the Mojave Desert area of Calif, that loose fitting jerseys keep you cooler then those form fitting tight jerseys that 99% of the roadies use. The loose jersey allows the air to bellow between the jersey and your skin keeping you cooler then just having the jersey tight on your skin. Of course the problem with a loose jersey is that it doesn't look cool, you don't have that racer image that all roadies must have to be real roadies right? A loose fitting jersey will not slow down the average rider either. Believe it or not color is also important, I use nothing but white for a jersey top, it's the coolest color (or lack of color) you can get.

chef_jmr
08-27-2004, 02:27 AM
My wife tells me I'm wrong, but a sequin top might help… it layers AND reflects!

But seriously, folks, don't forget to tip your waitress on your way out… :banana: :banana:

I have found the "tight" fitting tank top designed as the primary wicking layer to be the solution to your "problem". It protects your "sensitive chest parts" from the abrasive motion of a perspiration-soaked jersey and keeps me cooler than without. Any brand will do (I use Adidas, BOA, Pearl Izumi; Craft is not unfamiliar to me, many cycling buddies use them). Just make sure it is taut but not too tight.

Side note: isn't white all the colors in the frequency, thereby reflecting them back to our eyes? And black absorbs all the frequencies of light? hhmmm……… :confused:

froze
08-27-2004, 01:58 PM
Black would be hotter to wear then white because white reflects more of the light thus heat off of you, black absorbs the heat...think about a black car vs a white car when your inside. Although black would be good if it's a cool to cold day with the sun out.

Speaking of Jerseys; Walmart has a line of Jerseys called StaDry that is 100% polyester-just like your expensive jersey's, that cost from $9 to $12. I bought one about 5 months ago to compare to my $70 Jersey and could not tell the difference. So I bought a black 100% polyester tight from fitting style long sleeve for $11.