PDA

View Full Version : Responsorium... Steel or carbon fork?

tbushnel
02-20-2008, 04:36 PM
Does anyone have any time riding a Responsorium with a steel fork? If not, any thoughts about how the the steel vs. the carbon fork might do in terms of ride quality (or any other quality for that matter)?
Ride reports on the Respo are also welcomed. :cool:
Ted.

Acotts
02-20-2008, 04:57 PM
Wow, I cant even imagine putting a carbon fork on that bike. I am interested in what others have to say as well.

BTW: I have a carbon fork on my steel bike.

Grant McLean
02-20-2008, 05:01 PM
Carbon is the only way to go!

Just in looks... the steel fork is way too skinny...
looks strange in an 1 1/8" headtube.

Tig welded frames don't "need" a steel fork, atmo, YMMV, imho

-g

J.Greene
02-20-2008, 05:04 PM
Carbon is the only way to go!

Just in looks... the steel fork is way too skinny...
looks strange in an 1 1/8" headtube.

Tig welded frames don't "need" a steel fork, atmo, YMMV, imho

-g

agreed.

and better yet, have it painted to match.

JG

mschol17
02-20-2008, 05:10 PM
+1 Painted Carbon for the proportions

tbushnel
02-20-2008, 05:34 PM
I see your point. I am still a bit attracted to the steel fork though. No good reason really.
Anyone have any other good pics to compare?

Smiley
02-20-2008, 05:57 PM
Carbon to me makes the most sense and that's how Bedford will build my fillet brazed fixee and that's how I have my Uniscasi built up too. Rides oh so sweet.

davids
02-20-2008, 06:08 PM
I see your point. I am still a bit attracted to the steel fork though. No good reason really.
Anyone have any other good pics to compare?Here are a few:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=382023&postcount=1
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=405978&postcount=54
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=441576&postcount=31
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=433705&postcount=1

Grant McLean
02-20-2008, 06:09 PM
Anyone have any other good pics to compare?

from nahbs:

dbrk
02-20-2008, 06:13 PM
It's the 1.125" head tube... and the OS tubing might suggest the aesthetic preference is carbon over the skinnier steel fork. But not to my eye and I think the steel fork would ride every bit as wel. Mine will have a steel fork. I wait, happily, 'cause it'll be worth it.

dbrk

Grant McLean
02-20-2008, 06:13 PM
This one's a marcelo from 07 nahbs:

-g

Climb01742
02-20-2008, 07:03 PM
my respo, with a carbon fork, rides beautifully. my wife's excell-tubed peg has a gorgeous steel fork with a double-plated crown. but the tubes on her bike are all skinny, so the fork seems/looks ideal. how a skinny fork would look with the bigger respo pipes would be personal. can't imagine my respo riding any better.

Pete Serotta
02-20-2008, 07:05 PM
:d Cda :d

DarrenCT
02-20-2008, 07:15 PM
agreed.

and better yet, have it painted to match.

JG

+3

big shanty
02-20-2008, 07:35 PM
I agree w/ dbrk...I don't think the steel looks wack.

merckx
02-20-2008, 07:42 PM
Get the steel fork. You can always eff it up by pluggin' in a plastic job down the road.

RudAwkning
02-20-2008, 07:45 PM
I ride a crowned steel fork on 2 of my tigged bikes.

Flat crown steel on my Crosshairs using the native 1.125" steerer tube.

The other steel fork is a 1" threaded fork on an S3 tigged bike. Using headtube shim/reducers for a 1.125" to 1" conversion.

I don't think either look malproportioned.

But whichever way you go (carbon or steel), get that sucker painted to match!

Grant McLean
02-20-2008, 07:47 PM
from interbike fall 07:

rnhood
02-20-2008, 07:51 PM
The steel fork gets my vote too, the crown, the graceful curve toward the tips and all. However, I am sure either will perform fine. I just struggle with the idea of a carbon fork on such a fine steel bike. But hey, some people struggle with the thought of putting Shimano on the Responsorium too.

Grant McLean
02-20-2008, 08:11 PM
I just struggle with the idea of a carbon fork on such a fine steel bike.

it's all in the details...

shanerpvt
02-20-2008, 08:19 PM
i dig the steel fork. either way, that is one sweet sled.

shaner

WadePatton
02-20-2008, 08:24 PM
Get the steel fork. You can always eff it up by pluggin' in a plastic job down the road.

oui

pdxmech13
02-20-2008, 09:33 PM
I'd go with an F3 8.5 personally

pdxmech13
02-20-2008, 09:34 PM

that was a sight to behold imho........

vaxn8r
02-20-2008, 11:31 PM
It's the 1.125" head tube... and the OS tubing might suggest the aesthetic preference is carbon over the skinnier steel fork. But not to my eye and I think the steel fork would ride every bit as wel. Mine will have a steel fork. I wait, happily, 'cause it'll be worth it.

dbrk
I gotta agree here. I love CF bikes but a custom steel is begging for a nice steel fork. It's going to ride nice and give you that steady confidence that only a steel fork can give.

How could you not want one of these? Ignore the flimsy headset...

RudAwkning
02-20-2008, 11:45 PM
That'd be Mrs. Kirk's personal JK Special frameset. Still waiting to see it painted in beautiful "Michelin Pro Race 3 Blue" :)

Hurry up and get that thing to JB!

I gotta agree here. I love CF bikes but a custom steel is begging for a nice steel fork. It's going to ride nice and give you that steady confidence that only a steel fork can give.

How could you not want one of these? Ignore the flimsy headset...

DarrenCT
02-21-2008, 01:48 AM

agreed GM

especially when a bike has a more "robust" look like the JK Special

a carbon fork would never work on a sachs sig imho

Climb01742
02-21-2008, 04:54 AM
seeing all the great painted carbon forks, especially the yellow peg and kirk special, darn, wish mine was painted.

thinpin
02-21-2008, 06:02 AM
Whats your gut instinct....do that!

J.Greene
02-21-2008, 06:12 AM
a carbon fork would never work on a sachs sig imho

Oh sure it does. Just remove the decals. I get comments all the time about how that is a fine way to make my old steel bike ride like a new one. :rolleyes:

JG

Fixed
02-21-2008, 07:03 AM

dbrk

i'll go all the way and say i have never had a bike with a carbon fork i liked
imho cheers

dbrk
02-21-2008, 08:38 AM
i'll go all the way and say i have never had a bike with a carbon fork i liked
imho cheers

And I've never had a bike with a carbon fork that I've kept. I suppose I will try again at some point but it's the plug in notion that strikes me as backwards: start with some fork rakes ---a fair variety if you want to not make forks and still design different bikes--- and design the frame around them. I suppose it works fine, so this is a bogus critique. Still, I'm with Fixed.

dbrk

J.Greene
02-21-2008, 08:47 AM
And I've never had a bike with a carbon fork that I've kept. I suppose I will try again at some point but it's the plug in notion that strikes me as backwards: start with some fork rakes ---a fair variety if you want to not make forks and still design different bikes--- and design the frame around them. I suppose it works fine, so this is a bogus critique. Still, I'm with Fixed.

dbrk

I'm looking forward to bringing my steel forked bike to the ramble.

I do have one carbon forked bike. A Match made, Tig welded Hampsten that is a very fun color of Pink. It's perfect for what it is. But as far as forks go, I am with you all the way Douglas.

JG

RudAwkning
02-21-2008, 08:53 AM
I'm looking forward to bringing my steel forked bike to the ramble.

I do have one carbon forked bike. A Match made, Tig welded Hampsten that is a very fun color of Pink. It's perfect for what it is. But as far as forks go, I am with you all the way Douglas.

JG

10 bikes, 1 carbon fork. And even though it has carbon blades, the steerer is made of True Temper OX Platinum, so it's still a steel fork in a sense :D

mschol17
02-21-2008, 09:02 AM
Hmm, big blades yet steel.... Columbus MAX?

michael white
02-21-2008, 09:04 AM
I say steel hands down, and that's because I would see a Dario steel fork as special, and you can get a carbon fork on any street corner. Also, if you're getting one of those, you can afford it, so why not?

tbushnel
02-21-2008, 09:45 AM
Thanks all for the comments. Still a bit conflicted, but probably will go with the steel fork. Looking forward to putting the money down tomorrow to start the clock. Hopefully this time next year I'll be riding it.
Cheers,
ted.

fiamme red
02-21-2008, 09:54 AM
Get the Luigino with steel fork. :banana:

BumpyintheBurgh
02-21-2008, 10:29 AM
What is the argument for carbon?...aesthetics....better ride quality, weight? It would seem that if you buy a steel bike for the workmanship, the feel of steel and the quality of the ride, why add a carbon fork. How many carbon bikes do you see with steel forks? I bought an old DeRosa Primato that came with a carbon fork & the original steel fork. Rode it for awhile with the black carbon fork and then switched to the original red steel fork which matched the frame color. I don't claim to have noticed much difference in the ride quality but it just looks better with the original steel fork.

Fixed
02-21-2008, 10:34 AM
bro i never thought i liked alum .frames then I got one with a steel fork i dig it now .. be open mided but like what you like imho
cheers

catulle
02-21-2008, 10:38 AM
Europeans like to eat chocolate sandwiches. You find everywhere a hotdog bun packaged with a chocolate bar. I've never gotten used to mixing my hotdog bun with chocolate.

With bicycles I sort of feel the same way. When on my C-50 I don't mind descending at high speeds. On my Moots with a carbon fork I keep on thinking that the fork might just go on the steepest part of the descent.

On the Kirk (with its wonderful steel fork) I feel I'll live forever.

Moreover, more often than not you're buying the builder, and a Responsorium with a steel fork has more of the builder in it.

SoCalSteve
02-21-2008, 10:53 AM
I'm curious as to why Dario spec's his bike with Reynold Ouzo Pro's with a specific rake...I mean, he could build steel forks for all his bike frames, but he doesnt.

He must know something we dont...

Just sayin'

Steve

Steve Hampsten
02-21-2008, 11:19 AM
steel forks are a lot of work to build and it's hard to charge enough to make it worthwhile for most builders.

that being said, and while i love the steel fork on my own peg, i really can't tell the difference between a steel and carbon fork. some frames want one, other frames want the other, and i can see a case for the responsorium going either way. buy what you like; painted to match would be tres sweet.

cpg
02-21-2008, 11:39 AM
I agree about the painted to match fork. I have a question and it's legit. Doesn't painting a carbon fork make the warranty null and void? I seem to remember reading somewhere that it does but alas there's no carbon forks in the shop right now for me to read the fine print and I'm not much of a internet searching type.

Curt

justinf
02-21-2008, 11:45 AM
Makes me think of 93legendti's new Spectrum--sounds like TK got Reynolds' permission to paint the fork since he was asked to put the little blue "R" on there.

davyt
02-21-2008, 12:44 PM
Does anyone have any time riding a Responsorium with a steel fork? If not, any thoughts about how the the steel vs. the carbon fork might do in terms of ride quality (or any other quality for that matter)?
Ride reports on the Respo are also welcomed. :cool:
Ted.
The definitive ride report is here (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=36825&pp=3).

I think you'll like the ride of the Responsorium irrespective of fork material: Dario is not going to build you a bike that rides poorly. If it's a matter of aesthetics, get what you really want and don't look back. If it's a question of function, why don't you just ask Dario for his advice?
--
Davy

tbushnel
02-21-2008, 12:51 PM
The definitive ride report is here (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=36825&pp=3).

I think you'll like the ride of the Responsorium irrespective of fork material: Dario is not going to build you a bike that rides poorly. If it's a matter of aesthetics, get what you really want and don't look back. If it's a question of function, why don't you just ask Dario for his advice?
--
Davy

Yeah, I reread that yesterday. It was again a great read. :beer:
Thanks Climb.
Ted.

Fixed
02-21-2008, 02:08 PM

--
Davy
+1

slowgoing
02-21-2008, 02:28 PM
Yeah, I reread that yesterday. It was again a great read. :beer:
Thanks Climb.
Ted.

+1.

rnhood
02-21-2008, 02:35 PM
That is a nice ride report.