PDA

View Full Version : polished versus matched finish for fixing blemishes

dekindy
02-20-2008, 03:37 PM
I was thinking about Ti because I am tired of scratched/chipped paint, no defects just wear and tear from normal use. However I have been advised that the wear and tear will create blemishes on the Ti that I will be just as unhappy as I am with paint scratches/chipping/blemishes. The real material advantages other than ride is not having to worry about rust and metal hardness. Opinions, please.

Also, polished Ti finish on the Serotta Legend good for correcting blemishes? Best or worst relative to other Ti finishes?

Blue Jays
02-20-2008, 03:41 PM
One could always have brushed titanium and then finish it with a nice smooth clearcoat for the best of both worlds.

dave thompson
02-20-2008, 03:44 PM
I was thinking about Ti because I am tired of scratched/chipped paint, no defects just wear and tear from normal use. However I have been advised that the wear and tear will create blemishes on the Ti that I will be just as unhappy as I am with paint scratches/chipping/blemishes. The real material advantages other than ride is not having to worry about rust and metal hardness. Opinions, please.

Also, polished Ti finish on the Serotta Legend good for correcting blemishes? Best or worst relative to other Ti finishes?
The Serotta 'polished' finish, called brushed by some other makers, is quite easy to touch up little blemishes. A household Scothbrite pad is all that's needed. The 'matte' finish, which is a sand-blast type dull finish would be hard to touch up.

I've had a variety of Serotta Ti bikes, all mostly the polished finish and they were quite easy to live with and to keep clean and fresh looking.

SoCalSteve
02-20-2008, 04:35 PM
Also, like I did with both of my Moots, you can just put a clear automotive tape over the parts of the bike that can-will get scratched.

Over the decals, around tubes where you will have cable rub, etc...

This will keep your Ti bike from having these rub marks and keep the decals intact. Using citric degreaser will keep the Ti from looking dull...Either dilute the citric degreaser or use a Pledge Orange wipe cloth.

Good luck!

Steve

CJH
02-20-2008, 04:57 PM
As mentioned brushed is the way to go! A bit of scotch-brite and it's like new...