PDA

View Full Version : Stick with old forum logo? Or design new Logo?

William
02-20-2008, 03:28 PM
Dave Thompson (Banana printer) and I (logo designer) have been discussing doing another run of forum Banana stickers. Which then lead to thoughts on the merits of designing something new. Maybe a more formal design, or possibly a new mascot, or a variation of the original?

So, the first question I'll throw out there is:

Stick with the original. Or design a new logo.

Thoughts please.

William

avalonracing
02-20-2008, 03:44 PM
Well, as of this moment the vote is 100% for a new, more formal logo.
This is one of the more civilized cycling forums, it should look like it.
And oh... I hate bananas.

fiamme red
02-20-2008, 03:48 PM
This is one of the more civilized cycling forums :rolleyes: :p

Kevan
02-20-2008, 03:53 PM
Like a bananer riding a bicycle so as bumpersticker readers have a hope of making a connection. Otherwise, people will be thinking that Serotta is trying to move in on Chiquita's territory.

I'm just tryin' to say...

thejen12
02-20-2008, 03:57 PM
I wasn't around for the first run. What are these stickers for? Are they to put on your bike? If so, how about something like "Powered by the Serotta Forum "? Or maybe not.... The banana certainly would make it quickly recognizeable - but then so would the beer-drinking-smiley-faces, and they look more like a "forum". :beer:

Jenn

Ozz
...This is one of the more civilized cycling forums....
If you say so.....recent threads on poo, pee, shaving nethers, etc indicate otherwise..... :cool:

I think the dancing banana sums this place up nicely.... :beer:

paczki
Love the banana sticker. I find it very civilized :banana:

Ozz
02-20-2008, 04:01 PM
I wasn't around for the first run. What are these stickers for?
to stick on things....the logo was also a design element on a "forum jersey" a couple years ago....

Are they to put on your bike?
sure...

...- but then so would the beer-drinking-smiley-faces...:beer:
now that's an idea :beer:

Ginger
02-20-2008, 04:02 PM
You know...THIS banana logo is more civilized than the previous forum banana mascot.

You want more formal, just use the SEROTTA logo.

I'm just saying that if we go more formal, we WILL be encroaching on SEROTTA's territory. And for all those out there who feel the need to "belong" but don't like the fruity little logo because it isn't "civilized" or "formal" enough...You're participating in a forum that discusses the color of poo and pee and whether or not to shave your scrotum....egads, grow up. Get yourself some Serotta stickers and be happy.

(as far as my vote to do something new? This logo could be better. Keep the banana, fix the overall image.)

maunahaole
02-20-2008, 04:17 PM
Does the banana have a shaved scrotum?

BumbleBeeDave
02-20-2008, 04:24 PM
. . . Those are pom-poms the banana guy is holding--his hands are not exploding. :eek: :banana:

But in view of recent Forum trends, could we change it to a turd with eyes and holding pom-poms made out of TP?

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
02-20-2008, 04:26 PM
I'd love to see just a slight refinement of the banana guy. But no huge changes---he's ours, he's fun, he's "where it's at!" . . .

Kind o' like Obama! :rolleyes:

BBD

dave thompson
02-20-2008, 04:28 PM
I wasn't around for the first run. What are these stickers for? Are they to put on your bike? If so, how about something like "Powered by the Serotta Forum "? Or maybe not.... The banana certainly would make it quickly recognizeable - but then so would the beer-drinking-smiley-faces, and they look more like a "forum". :beer:

Jenn
The Serotta Forum stickers were made back in 2005 when we (forum members) raised $2500 for a small sponsorship of the Kodak/Sierra Nevada race team, which rode Serottas. The stickers were of our "official sponsorship" logo which William designed. I had stickers made which were sold (for a very small cost) to anyone who wanted to claim an association with the bike race team or our insane asylum here. At the time there were two sizes, one appropriate for your bicycle and the other for a rear car/van window or bumper.

e-RICHIE
02-20-2008, 04:45 PM
shave the banana atmo.

BumbleBeeDave
02-20-2008, 04:53 PM
shave the banana atmo.

Shave your own banana! ;)

BBD

regularguy412
02-20-2008, 04:55 PM
Why not do-up several possibilities and post 'em? Or better yet, ask for submissions and then post the top five. I kinda like the banana, but I think the word 'Serotta' needs to be a bit larger.

Mike in AR:beer:

PS- Mebbe it should have a bottle of red somehow incorporated, as well.

William
02-20-2008, 06:16 PM
I was thinking of ditching the pom poms, putting a knife in each hand, a bandana on his head, and bandoliers and a shotgun slung over his shoulder. Problem is that JohnS and myself are probably the only two that would want it that way. :D With that being said, I'm in favor of the original, or slightly modified original. It was voted on and accepted, and lots of forum folks have them on their jersey, cars and bikes.

I'm hoping this doesn't get too complicated (but hey, I did ask). :)

William

Bruce K
02-20-2008, 06:18 PM
William - best reason for little or no change to "Banana Guy"

He's been on bikes, cars, riding jerseys, charity functions....

He's an icon..... and he's ours.

BK

72gmc
02-20-2008, 06:28 PM
I say keep the banana guy as-is and open up the polls to alternative items he could be holding... good beer... large strips of bacon... chamois cream... a razor and shaving cream... water bottles (large bottles so swoop is irritated by his own sticker)...

oops, forgot the :banana:

William
02-20-2008, 06:32 PM
I say keep the banana guy as-is and open up the polls to alternative items he could be holding... good beer... large strips of bacon... chamois cream... a razor and shaving cream... water bottles (large bottles so swoop is irritated by his own sticker)...

oops, forgot the :banana:

Good idea!

We should include a helmet mirror just for swoop. ;)

New thread coming....

William

Michael Maddox
02-20-2008, 07:00 PM
There ARE worse mascots, you know. Case-in-point, my old club from Albany, Georgia: "the Pecan City Pedalers"

http://www.pecancitypedalers.org/index.1.gif

Pete Serotta
02-20-2008, 07:05 PM
:banana: :banana: :banana:
:butt:

paczki
02-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Good idea!

We should include a helmet mirror just for swoop. ;)

New thread coming....

William

Throwing stars. :banana:

chuckroast
02-20-2008, 07:21 PM
This does predate me being on the forum but I dig the current logo and would love to buy some stickers and/ or jersey. I'd put beer glasses or wine bottles in the fellow's hands though, I never would have guessed pom poms.

Bradford
02-20-2008, 07:33 PM
How about some squirrels?

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

WadePatton
02-20-2008, 07:49 PM
Dark beer please.

Or 1911 model .45's. no Glocks and no 9mm. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Could put Sidi's on the banana...

maunahaole
02-20-2008, 08:17 PM
Perhaps a penguin? That dances....

WadePatton
02-20-2008, 08:26 PM
what 'bout the poo?

Louis
02-20-2008, 10:22 PM
I challenge you to find a Cycling Club mascot stupider than this one. It's the old McDonnell Douglas "Phantom" (from the F-4 Phantom days) riding a bike. If you think he looks more like a flasher than anything else, join the club. I've always hated it.

http://www.bebikeclub.com/images/bebclogo44.gif

capybaras
02-21-2008, 05:49 AM
LOVE IT!

Dave Thompson (Banana printer) and I (logo designer) have been discussing doing another run of forum Banana stickers. Which then lead to thoughts on the merits of designing something new. Maybe a more formal design, or possibly a new mascot, or a variation of the original?

So, the first question I'll throw out there is:

Stick with the original. Or design a new logo.

Thoughts please.

William

capybaras
02-21-2008, 05:52 AM
IF you must change it, make the banana fight a bear!

P.S. any of those stickers left?

SpeedyChix
02-21-2008, 07:46 AM
I like the dancing banana. Never realized those were pom poms, thought they were the 'white glove'. In any case.....it keeps it all fun and I'd buy some of those for the bike/van. Heck...I've got more than one Racing for Beer sticker around. The forum banana would be a great mate to them.Kisscross (http://kisscross.com/what_is_it.htm) A couple of the HUP guys will recognize it.

Bottom line for me, don't get too serious with it. Don't a lot of us ride because it is fun? :banana:

Ginger
02-21-2008, 08:11 AM
I like the dancing banana. Never realized those were pom poms, thought they were the 'white glove'. In any case.....it keeps it all fun and I'd buy some of those for the bike/van. Heck...I've got more than one Racing for Beer sticker around. The forum banana would be a great mate to them.Kisscross (http://kisscross.com/what_is_it.htm) A couple of the HUP guys will recognize it.

Bottom line for me, don't get too serious with it. Don't a lot of us ride because it is fun? :banana:

Looks like Saab200 needs to get himself a messenger bag to take part in that Hop Cat Alleycat in March...

Elefantino
02-21-2008, 09:19 AM
Banana Guy is ours, he's famous and he's royalty-free.

Keep him, make more, make jerseys and full kits (Champion Systems has the best deals atmo)

Someone send me the artwork (jpeg or PDF) and I'll fiddle.

Maybe we could even have multiple sponsors.

SpeedyChix
02-23-2008, 05:39 PM
Seeing Shino's penguin in a couple posts recently....he would make a good companion to the banana.

Birddog
02-23-2008, 06:01 PM
For a more formal look, get rid of the pom pons, put a wine glass in one hand and a Belgian chalice in the other, and put him in a tux. Another idea would be to put the banana in the "steal the peach" pose.
http://www.entertheninja.com/images/monkeystealspeach1.jpg
I also like Shino's penguins.

Birddog

shinomaster
02-23-2008, 06:32 PM
shave the banana atmo.

Sweeny Todd the banana.

shinomaster
02-23-2008, 06:32 PM
I want a penguin.

SpeedyChix
02-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Is it time for a revised poll...
banana
penquin (Shino art)
banana & penquin

BumbleBeeDave
02-23-2008, 09:03 PM
. . . last time around and I'll throw it in again. Serotta name, banana head, and pom-poms break the circle to give it some tension. Pom-poms are bigger so what they are is more obvious. Arms are longer to give more separation from the body for the pom-poms.

Better materials for the stickers would also be nice. This place gave me great service and quality making the decals for a couple of my bikes . . .

http://www.speedysigns.com/

Keep generally what we have--it's a classic!

BBD

Bruce H.
02-24-2008, 09:02 AM
At the expenseof being booed or worse.... :banana:
This thread guarantees spring is near since we all seem to have too much time on our hands and are itching to get on the bike again full time! :banana: :banana:
As for the logo :banana: , I do and have always liked it. Why change a good thing!
Bruce H

Bruce K
02-24-2008, 11:30 AM
Banana Guy rules.

Why change a good thing?

BK

navclbiker
02-24-2008, 11:45 AM
Put beer glasses in his hands like these guys- :beer: ! Either way...put me down for 2 stickers and one jersey (large). :banana:

William
02-24-2008, 11:52 AM
At this time I'm inclined to leave him as he is (and the poll so far bears this out). I'll still play around with it when I have time. Dave is checking pricing again for another run.

:banana:

William

PS: I've recieved a number of PM's against alcohol use of our Banana guy. Seeing that there is an association with Serotta, probably not a good idea...though I enjoy a good stout, red, and high quality Tequila on occasion. :beer: