PDA

View Full Version : Warm Climates Vs. Cold Climates

oldfatslow
02-19-2008, 10:36 PM
The weather in Austin,TX on Sunday was spectacular. Probably about 45 to start rising to 70+, sunny skies, wind from the North but manageable -- just beautiful. I got in a nice fat four hour ride 2.5 easy and 1.5 hard.

I get to ride year round with Austin warm climate. Today I had a business trip and find myself in Kansas City. Snow everywhere and the low tonight will be 11 degrees.

I feel for you folks who live in really cold weather. I know Austin gets hot but I've never had to dig my car out of a hot bank, I've never slipped on a patch of hot, and I've never had to scrap the hot off my windshield in the morning. And for the most part, I have the pleasure of riding year round (I draw the line at cold rain -- I know I'm a wussy -- but cold & wet sucks).

How do you guys who live in really cold climates get used to it and actually ride in that stuff?

rwsaunders
02-19-2008, 11:05 PM
How do you guys who live in really cold climates get used to it and actually ride in that stuff?

You keep telling yourself when riding in cold and wet conditions, that the pain is actually weakness leaving your body.

DarrenCT
02-20-2008, 02:37 AM

what doenst kill u, makes u......

whitecda
02-20-2008, 06:18 AM
as soon as the last one is done with high school in 2 years, if I have anything to say about it, we're packin' up the hooptie and heading south.....anywhere. :cool:

majorpat
02-20-2008, 07:16 AM
Cold? I didn't realize it was cold, I just thought the numbness in my toes, fingers, nose, knees....was from a poor position.

On another note, I'm not sure I could ride year 'round. I even get a little burned out in September sometimes and go camping instead. And what would I do in March and April if I didn't have to lose 20 pounds and suffer on every hill?

Is it really 70 there today?

CNY rider
02-20-2008, 07:25 AM
There's so much more to life in the winter!

I mainly ride to work these days. Otherwise the bike is in the garage.

How about cross country skiing or snowshoeing?
We had a full moon shining last night on fresh snow.
Can't beat it! No lights needed.

How about some pond hockey?
You could go to Ottawa and eat beaver tails!
Don't feel bad for us. :beer:

bluto
02-20-2008, 07:38 AM
as soon as the last one is done with high school in 2 years, if I have anything to say about it, we're packin' up the hooptie and heading south.....anywhere. :cool:

he said "hooptie"..........awesome.

myette10
02-20-2008, 07:39 AM
"It's good to see the seasons change. It's good to see the season's change!"

thwart
02-20-2008, 08:10 AM
What weather like this (high today 4 degrees... oh, yeah... and windy) does to you is very similar to doing long intervals...

Pain is good for you.

And when spring finally "pops"... it's like---as they used to say on Seinfeld---make-up sex.

Only better.

Ray
02-20-2008, 08:13 AM
Unless you're insanely dedicated and like to pretend you're a Belgian getting ready for the spring classics, you mostly don't. If riding is your whole life, cold winters suck. If riding is just a part of your life, its not that bad to take the better part of 3 months off. Ride when you can, but do other stuff to stay in shape and give yourself a break. I rather like hibernation myself.

-Ray

bigbill
02-20-2008, 08:27 AM
In December 2004, I transferred to Hawaii. In May 2007, I transferred to Sardinia, Italy. Both places were warm. In November we moved the ship to Bremerton, Washington. The motivation to ride is really tough, I had to dig through many boxes to find my cold weather stuff. I finally broke down and spent the bucks on a showers pass jacket and some winter shoes. This is my life now, might as well get on with it.

JohnS
02-20-2008, 08:29 AM
Unless you're insanely dedicated and like to pretend you're a Belgian getting ready for the spring classics, you mostly don't. If riding is your whole life, cold winters suck. If riding is just a part of your life, its not that bad to take the better part of 3 months off. Ride when you can, but do other stuff to stay in shape and give yourself a break. I rather like hibernation myself.

-RayWhat he said...

witcombusa
02-20-2008, 08:47 AM
You warm weather folks don't know the shear joy of our first few spring rides...you take it all for granted.
It's our annual rebirth as cyclist..... bodies fresh and happy to get out and feel the warm sun on our faces. I'm sure that I would actually be burnt out if I had good weather 12 months of the year instead of 8.

William
02-20-2008, 08:52 AM
I'm waitng for Dave T. to weigh in with his remark on the "Hot vs Cold" thang. ;)

William

TMB
02-20-2008, 09:15 AM
I'm not sure that Seattle and its environs really constitute a "cold climate"

davids
02-20-2008, 09:19 AM
I prefer a colder climate overall. Boston doesn't get truly cold (single Fahrenheit digits...) very often. If I had to deal with the winters in the upper mid-west, my bias might go the other way.

While I don't enjoy road riding once it gets down to the 30s, I am more than happy to mountain bike down to the low teens. So, I don't stop riding when it's cold, I just shift genres. Lack of daylight is more of an issue for me during a good portion of the year - I need daylight by 6:30 am to get in a weekday morning ride before work.

And as far as dealing with the extreme temps - I can always put on another layer to stay warm. Once the temperature gets too high, I can't take any more clothes off... I feel even more confined indoors when it's 95 and humid than I do when it's 20 and snowing.

Now, the ideal climate would never get to either extreme. So there's always northern California to think about...

myette10
02-20-2008, 09:23 AM
You warm weather folks don't know the shear joy of our first few spring rides...you take it all for granted.
It's our annual rebirth as cyclist..... bodies fresh and happy to get out and feel the warm sun on our faces. I'm sure that I would actually be burnt out if I had good weather 12 months of the year instead of 8.
can I get an Amen...

zap
02-20-2008, 09:31 AM
I grew up in Canada and raced xc and biathlon. My favorite weather conditions for skiing were -20c or lower. The snow is perfect, the sky is a vivid blue and most of the time, little or no wind.

I moved to the Washington, D.C. area from Montreal and the first winter was rather warm. The next a little colder, etc. Now I freeze my behind when I go to Canada in the winter.

If I were to move back to Canada, I would take up xc skiing again. The body will adapt to colder temps.

bigbill
02-20-2008, 11:56 AM
I'm not sure that Seattle and its environs really constitute a "cold climate"

There are many colder places. I have wintered over in Chicago and upstate NY, so I have seen bitter cold. When I get up at 4:30 in the morning for my 20.32 mile commute to work here in the PNW, I usually have frost on the ground unless the cold rain melted it. That is f'ing cold enough for me.

woolly
02-20-2008, 12:00 PM
The body will adapt to colder temps.

Yep, that's been my experience, but in the opposite direction. Moved from Iowa to Dallas over fifteen years ago. That first summer here, I literally thought I was going to melt walking across the parking lot to my car after work. Now, the summers are just as hot, but seem much less harsh to me. And now trips "back home" in the dead of winter tend to be more bone-chilling that I ever remember.

For me, I'll take the hot. There tends to be more daylight in the really hot months, and I can always ride earlier/later when it's (relatively) cooler. And man, those warm September night solo rides sure are fun (and comfortable).

Go Hot! Boo Cold!

zeroking17
02-20-2008, 12:02 PM
Hey, it's a "dry cold" here in the upper midwest. Way cool.

shanerpvt
02-20-2008, 12:18 PM
Is it really 70 there today?

63 right now.
69 high.
72 tomorrow.

shaner...............stuck at work :crap: .

majorpat
02-20-2008, 12:44 PM
So I guess it's not too bad that I'm stuck at work with 20 degrees out the door?

Cdub
02-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Austin on Sunday was fantastic. What is missing in this story is the day before.

I preroad a race course on Saturday, just outside of Austin in 43, rain, wind etc. It sucked. Thank goodness for hills, they kept me warm. It took me an hour to warm up when i was done.

We are lucky to live down here and ride all the time. However, i miss winter and seasons. No snow skiing down here.

Oh well, I will deal with it :rolleyes:

thwart
02-20-2008, 01:41 PM
Best thing about upper Midwest winter riding: you develop a deep and abiding love of hills.

"... if this one is long and steep enough, maybe I'll start to feel the toes on my right foot..."

But then the downhill--- :crap:

Blastinbob
02-20-2008, 02:11 PM
It's not so bad. Now what?

davids
02-20-2008, 02:42 PM
It's not so bad. Now what?Studded tires, obviously.

Bud_E
02-20-2008, 02:57 PM
It's not so bad. Now what?

Whoa. I hope the owners of those cars bought the optional rust-proofing.

Frankwurst
02-20-2008, 03:22 PM
Hey, it's a "dry cold" here in the upper midwest. Way cool.

20 below with a 35 below chill factor on my drive in this morning but it was a "dry cold" :beer:

thwart
02-20-2008, 03:51 PM
20 below with a 35 below chill factor on my drive in this morning but it was a "dry cold" Careful---you'll get freeze-dried.

Kevan
02-20-2008, 04:00 PM
then I realize global climate change is coming to a town near me.

What, me worry?

zeroking17
02-20-2008, 04:01 PM
Careful---you'll get freeze-dried.

Good for jeans, too.

Karin Kirk
02-20-2008, 04:12 PM
Interesting question.

I love cold weather, much like CNY and Zap, and I rejoice in winter's fabulousness. This time if year I appreciate the longer days, but I start to get sad when I realize that winter won't last forever. I noticed our snowbanks are melting back a bit and there is some bare ground peeking out, and this too makes me a bit sad.

Having fun outside in cold is a matter of the right clothing and gear and making sensible choices about what activities you are doing and for how long.

Talk to me in July. I am a grouchy, whiny person. I can't stand July and August. I don't know how you people in the south can tolerate that! In the winter I can add umpteen high tech layers and remain comfy, but in the summer I just suffer.

So I guess there are geographies to suit everyone, thankfully! :)

Kevan
02-20-2008, 04:15 PM
So I guess there are geographies to suit everyone, thankfully! :)

don't count on it.

Karin Kirk
02-20-2008, 04:54 PM
don't count on it.

No? Is there nowhere that would suit you to a "T?"

shanerpvt
02-20-2008, 06:38 PM
[QUOTE=Karin Kirk]Interesting question.

Talk to me in July. I am a grouchy, whiny person. I can't stand July and August. I don't know how you people in the south can tolerate that! In the winter I can add umpteen high tech layers and remain comfy, but in the summer I just suffer.

QUOTE]

this is my grouchy time of the year. i've had just about as much grey as i can stand. almost depressed. leave the house it's dark........get home it's dark. no daylight to ride after work. in a few weeks the wildflowers will start to bloom here in central texas and all will be right in my world.

i understand your feelings.

shaner

P.S. - in summer we just sweat

Onno
02-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Cold can be hard to take, but every year one realizes that one can get used to just about anything. What's cold in November actually seems pretty balmy by February. A good life lesson here, which you learn again every single freaking winter!

I can't imagine living in a place without real seasons, actually. There's a reason that seasons are full of meaning, used in poems and art everywhere! the older I get the more poignant spring and fall get, the more the honking of geese seems one of the profoundest sounds on the planet. Don't ask me to explain it.

And I can't imagine living where I couldn't ski out of my back door (more or less), experience the occasional blizzard, see the first flowers poking out of the snow, etc.

I remember reading a few years back a story about a survey in which people in California felt that of earthquakes, tornadoes, blizzards, etc., earthquakes were really the least bad; people in Oklahoma thought tornadoes were the least bad, and folks in the northern states thought blizzards were the least bad of the three. Seemed weird to me. It's so OBVIOUS that blizzards are real pussy cats compared to tornadoes and earthquakes....

Onno

oldfatslow
02-20-2008, 08:17 PM
Holly sheet. That's some serious cold and I imagine a huge storm to put that much water on the street and cars. Wow.

For those suffering in the cold, frozen, tundra come on down now. If the winds are out of the South it will be warm and if it's out of the North just give it a day or two and the wind will change and it will be great.

As for everyone else, if you want hot come down to Austin in July or August and we'll lead you around for some great rides but be prepared for many store stops as you just can't carry enough water.

Blastinbob
02-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Here are a few more.

Tobias
02-21-2008, 12:01 PM
It's our annual rebirth as cyclist..... bodies fresh and happy to get out and feel the warm sun on our faces. I'm sure that I would actually be burnt out if I had good weather 12 months of the year instead of 8.For southerners it’s the first cool fall or winter morning. Basically the same -- just in reverse.

Dave
02-21-2008, 01:49 PM
There's no denying that cold weather sucks for cycling. After living in the Kansas City are for 22 years, I moved to Denver where the cold lasts about a month longer and there is twice the snow, but there is more sun and the snow usually melts off faster.

I'm a real wimp when it comes to riding in the cold and won't go out unless it's sunny, the roads are relatively free of snow and the temperature is in the upper forties. If it's 52, thermal knickers with a long sleeved jersey and light undershirt provide all the warm I need.

The big advantage of Denver over KC and most other midwestern or southern locations is the lack of humidity. It's more comfortable at lower temperatures and even better when the temperature gets into the 80's. Being retired, I'm really spoiled. In the summer, I try to get out by 8:00am and so I can complete my ride before the temperature gets up too high. With the low humidity, a starting temp in the 60-62 range requires no additional clothing, since it warms up quickly. You just can't beat the summer weather. We do have the "monsoon" season where the clouds build up in the west almost every afternoon and there is a chance of high winds or rain (usually a few drops, but there can be the occasional gully washer). I feel for those who have to ride after work and get caught in that weather, frequently.

I just got back from a trip to Palm Springs, where it's also quite dry. I was amazed to see all the clothes worn by cyclists when the temperature was in the 60-70 degree range. I saw one guy wearing a long sleeve jersey in 73 degrees. Perhaps some started out at the crack of dawn when it was only 49 degrees out, but that's when arm and leg warmers come in handy.

cmg
02-21-2008, 01:51 PM
it snowed in 1985 13 inches in san antonio, highways and schools were closed for almost a week. we didn't know what it was. a week later when it got back to 70 and it melted all was good. There's only 2 seasons, hot and not as hot. a handful of times it will touch 32 but by noon it's gone. nope don't like the cold, 95 with high humidity is all right. just drink water and sweat.

mflaherty37
02-21-2008, 07:38 PM
I've lived in the Chiacgo ish midwest for ever now, too bad indeed. The way this winter had been I have only a little over 100 miles for the year. The winters are harsh, and I mostly ride less far and less often. But I have trouble with the heat myself, slowing considerably at 85 degrees and by 95 I'm done. I see clubs in arizona that look like they enjoy July and August riding and don't ride in the winter. I think basically your body does adjust. Like when I was 15 I went to Alaska and I rember this chick saying she tried going to school on California but it was too hot so she came back.

julia
02-21-2008, 08:05 PM
Here are a few more.

blastinbob, thank you for those pictures! bizarre and sublime.

julia
02-21-2008, 08:10 PM
the story as i heard it is that elizabeth "put on another sweater!" hampsten, steve & andy's mother, would step inside from her three-mile grocery walk to town in 30 below with the windchill, close the sliding glass door and say "brr. chilly. . ."

huey
02-21-2008, 11:52 PM
It is all relative as, I grew up in Cleveland for the first fifteen years of my life and do not miss the cold weather, four months of grey, or the lake effect snow at all. I can't ever imagine living in a climate like that again.

I'm currently residing in Phoenix where yes, you can actually ride year round. Our winters get down into the 30's at night with highs in the 50's-60's. Yes the summer's are oppressive, highs in the 110's plus, and the lows in the lower 90's but it really isn't that bad. The key is to be on the bike by no later than 5:00 am. You can easily get in 3-4 hours before it gets nasty, you just need two big bottles and to stop two or three times along the way. Everything is different here though. I'm cold if it is below 65 degrees. It is amazing how your blood thins out.

I was fortunate enough to spend the summer of 2004 in central MA.,and it was amazing. The fact that it is light until 8:30 or 9:00 is awesome, as you could get in 3 hours after work. I'm kind of jealous of those of you that reside in places where you have seasons, but I love living in the desert.

slowandsteady
12-27-2010, 10:13 AM
what doenst kill u, makes u......

Look into home prices in the south.
Check on airfare for vacations every week.
Think about retiring to NC when the kid is out of school.
Spending the June-Dec semester in NH and the Jan - June semester in CA, HI, FL, NC, TX or AZ!!!
Ask yourself repeatedly "why do I live in the northeast?"
- I do LOVE the change of seasons though

Dave
12-27-2010, 10:37 AM
I don't ride if the temp is under 45. I do something else. Since I'm retired, I can ride any day I want and go out during the 2-3 hours of maximum temperature. Some years, we get a lot of days with temps over 45 in the Denver area. This year is an example - no snow and warmer than normal. Of course, the mountain and even foothills are another story. There comes a time when riding in the mountains isn't real smart with the chances of hitting an icy patch.

drewski
12-27-2010, 10:45 AM
We have become a bunch of wusses.

Ed Rendell was talking about the NFL but he might as well be talking about us. Being out in the cold when riding can be very, very invogorating.
First off, if you ride all year round your circulation improves and you
can ride in just about any weather. The key is to do some kind
of exercise every day. Even for 10-20 minutes. Yoga helps
me to stay cooler in summer and warmer in winter.

If you use good wool hats, jerseys, arm warmers, and tights
it also helps. The only weather I do not like to ride in is like
the weather today here in Charlotte. It was really windy, icey
and about 19 degrees. I still love to be outside.
The change of seasons makes me appreciate them all the more.
The weather in Texas might be nice but there is nothing like
seeing the countryside trees, mountains, houses covered in snow
on Christmas Day, and starting a nice roaring fire and having a cup
of tea with a nice German Christmas Fruit Cake Stollen or Italian
Panetonne. Also nice to go out and make an igloo, snowman
and take the kids for a nice face plant on the sled. 2 hand touch
football is also great in the snow.

Here we get a few dustings of snow and then a week later its in the 50's.
Unlike NYC where I grew up where you might not see the sun for 1 week.
That's what is really depressing about the winder I will grant you that.

Cheers to snow birds and sun worshippers.

rugbysecondrow
12-27-2010, 10:57 AM
Agreed. Can't believe they postponed the game yesterday. Footbal is less about the game now then it ever was. It is ONLY about revenue, tv ratings, commercials and TV time-outs, and stadium concessions. They game should have been played.

We have become a bunch of wusses.

Ed Rendell was talking about the NFL but he might as well be talking about us. Being out in the cold when riding can be very, very invogorating.
First off, if you ride all year round your circulation improves and you
can ride in just about any weather.

If you use good wool hats, jerseys, arm warmers, and tights
it also helps. The only weather I do not like to ride in is like
the weather today here in Charlotte. It was really windy, icey
and about 19 degrees. I still love to be outside.
The change of seasons makes me appreciate them all the more.
The weather in Texas might be nice but there is nothing like
seeing the countryside trees, mountains, houses covered in snow
on Christmas Day, and starting a nice roaring fire and having a cup
of tea with a nice German Christmas Fruit Cake Stollen or Italian
Panetonne. Also nice to go out and make an igloo, snowman
and take the kids for a nice face plant on the sled. 2 hand touch
football is also great in the snow.

Here we get a few dustings of snow and then a week later its in the 50's.
Unlike NYC where I grew up where you might not see the sun for 1 week.
That's what is really depressing about the winder I will grant you that.

Cheers to snow birds and sun worshippers.

PaMtbRider
12-27-2010, 11:16 AM
Having fun outside in cold is a matter of the right clothing and gear and making sensible choices about what activities you are doing and for how long.

:)
Gets it! This time of year means Lake boots, a couple of layers and more time spent in the woods on the mountain bike. If we get too much snow for the mountain bike then we get the xc skis out and really enjoy ourselves.

spacemen3
12-27-2010, 11:29 AM
I rode the snowy gravel roads yesterday in 14°F temps with the local racers. I couldn't talk coherently because my lips were numb. I'm always amazed at how the suffering doesn't seem half as bad as it actually was once you're finally home with your feet up. :)

drewski
12-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Gets it! This time of year means Lake boots, a couple of layers and more time spent in the woods on the mountain bike. If we get too much snow for the mountain bike then we get the xc skis out and really enjoy ourselves.

+1

oliver1850
12-27-2010, 01:15 PM
Look into home prices in the south.
Check on airfare for vacations every week.
Think about retiring to NC when the kid is out of school.
Spending the June-Dec semester in NH and the Jan - June semester in CA, HI, FL, NC, TX or AZ!!!
Ask yourself repeatedly "why do I live in the northeast?"
- I do LOVE the change of seasons though

I've been talking to dogdriver over the past several days about getting away from Midwest winters. He's escaped to central Utah, and sounds like he's there for good. It seems most people have the same short list of possible destinations, but FL and HI have no appeal for me. And if I move, it will be a real move, not a summer/winter arrangement in 2 places.

I rode every month this year, but not nearly as often as I would have liked. It's tempting fate to be out when the roads are icy. I've already had one crash this month, and several near misses. The gravel roads are a good idea, but we don't have many left around here. I'd rather be someplace where the road conditions will be more constant and predictable, and I can concentrate on the traffic.

Ralph
12-27-2010, 04:19 PM
I've been retired over 12 years. And in that time I have been about everywhere in US in about every time of year. So I've got some idea of what it's like when it's cold "up north" and "out there" at altitude.

Having said that, there is no way I would consider moving from Central Florida. I do like to get out of here for a while in July and August. But at my age, I can stay cool and comfortable easier in warm humid weather, than I can stay warm in cold weather. I also confess....I do like to ride my bike every day, even if in summer that means I'm out at 7 AM and it's already 80 and I'm sweating. Pool feels good afterwards.

The old bones just feel better when it's warm. Maybe age has something to do with how you feel about it. I totally understand some of you liking the season changes. I kinda miss that.

wc1934
12-27-2010, 04:19 PM
So on those beautiful spring days I can say "this is what we waited all winter for".

Mike748
12-27-2010, 05:47 PM
What a difference the sun makes.

Rode Thursday 40 deg, cloudy, damp. Chilled to the core. Yesterday 40 deg, sunny, dry, one extra layer just in case. Lovely.

I used to like cold but the closer I get to 50 (wow, that's old!) the less I like it.

I think I'm retiring to Dripping Springs or Vanderpool in a couple of years. Its too cold here in NORTH Texas. Riding in 100+ doesnt' bother me at all.

maxdog
12-27-2010, 08:28 PM
I'm into my fourth week of xc skiing, for this year, and loving it.

thwart
12-27-2010, 09:37 PM
Cold weather makes you much stronger... that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D

dogdriver
12-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Just scanned this thread-- fun's where you find it!

After satisfying the location-based concerns that aren't optional (family, work, etc), I think that its best to place yourself where the weather and culture lends itself the majority of the year to the things you enjoy most. Warm climates mean HOT summers, cold climate means LONG winter. Either way, you have to adapt for a portion of the year (unless you live in San Diego, but I'm afraid that the secret is out...).

Living somewhere with altitude options can work to allow you to temporarily change the climate (into the mountains to cool off in the summer, down to the desert to thaw out in the winter), but I think that the best idea is to have something you enjoy during each season. Different events keep you fresh, too.

The West works for me-- low humidity is a good thing, hot or cold!

Bob Loblaw
12-28-2010, 08:41 PM
I grew up racing in California, and moved to New England four years ago. I like riding in the extreme cold on my single speed. Just a different kind of challenge.

Plus, it gives me a mental edge at critical moments. If I am in a spring race and it comes down to a question of who is tougher, the guy who spent the winter indoors on his trainer watching TDF videos, or me with 2k miles of sub-freezing, single speed miles in my legs, I KNOW I have the stuff to beat him.

BL