PDA

View Full Version : Coeur d'Acier or Hampsten/Parlee

hooverone
08-24-2004, 04:15 PM
While Coeur d'Acier with fork with the paint I picked out is at $2990.00 and the Hampsten/Parlee is $3600.00 + fork between the two what would be the better, most comfortable, excels at climbing etc, I can not test ride either of these bikes so I am going off of what I am reading etc.

Jim

bikedadjc
08-24-2004, 04:18 PM
I have and I Like it. Don't know anything about Hampstens. The Coeur D'Acier will be built to your riding style and for your weight. It descends really well, climbs very well, and after 50 or a 100 miles you will still feel fresh!! :) Get a Coeur!!!! Happy riding, Jesse

Serotta PETE
08-24-2004, 04:30 PM
The Parlee is 20% more than the Serotta and is a different frame entirely. Very few of us, unless SO has provided a budget, pick a bike primarily on price.

Bruce K would be a good person to talk to in regard to ride differences. He had one at the open house. I have never ridden a Parlee but have heard good things about them.

As to the Serotta, it is a great ride and can also be tailored to your ride style, size, etc..... Yes I am biased>>>

It is really up to you as to which you like better, it is not a case of one good and one bad. Looks come into the equation.

Yes this is not an answer but an observations. We the consumer have so many good choices.

I am probably very set in my ways and anythings outside the Serotta and Sachs realm is "not for me". (That does not mean they are not good)

Pete

Climb01742
08-24-2004, 04:55 PM
i haven't ridden a CDA, but i have test ridden a parlee Z1. it's a remarkable frame. the best carbon frame i've ridden. it climbed really well. nothing wooden feeling about it. in talking to a number of knowledgeable folks, every one said that bob parlee knows more about carbon than just about anyone. a CDA may be a very good bike, but is it at the top of its class? a parlee is, i think, at the top of the carbon class. a parlee can be tuned and tweaked to your liking every bit as much as a serotta can. were you comparing a legend or an ottrott to a parlee, the comparison might be closer. but a Z1 is, for my two cents, in a different class than a CDA.

Jack Brunk
08-24-2004, 05:26 PM
One vote for the CDA. I have had mine for three weeks and really like it alot. I built it as a climbing/double century bike(16lbs). I did a very hard double century with it after only 2 rides and it was awesome. Climbed 15,260ft during the double and not once did I regret taking it along. I like the feel of the carbon seat stay. Overall it is a very nice bike and I don't think that you can go wrong in buying one.

Jack

Korn Julio
08-24-2004, 06:51 PM
I also chose the CDA. Check out the following thread that covers my opinions from test riding a CIII and CDA -- and why I chose the CDA. Happy riding!

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=3378

(Sorry -- I've had no experience with a Hampsten/Parlee)

nleeson
08-24-2004, 08:58 PM
I own a Parlee Z-1. It's a good solid bike. Since it's custom it can reflect the ride characteristics you might favor. My bike has the same measurements I have used since I was fit kitted in 1988 for a Cyclops. I do like the feel of the Parlee compared to the assorted Aluminum or Titanium frames I have used in the past 10 years. I won't say it will give you an extra gear because I think the best tool to get faster is an SRM.

Smiley
08-24-2004, 08:59 PM
Parlee is a flat out racing bike , Higher BB and shorter wheel base . Probably a faster front end too . Not with the Serotta . And if you ask Bob Parlee to make a Z1 like a Serotta in terms of Geometry it would not be a Parlee.

Why are you not buying a Parlee instead of a Hampstem ,gee talk to Bob direct and cut out the middleman . My vote is Serotta just cause you can get it your way . :banana: :banana:

vaxn8r
08-24-2004, 09:20 PM
Hmmmm........

Never ridden a Parlee. But I own an OCLV and a Calfee. I've also owned plenty of steel, though none with a CF seat stay. IMO, there is nothing better than CF for frame material. OTOH, what's not to like about steel except an extra 1-1/2 lbs or so? These bikes are so different I don't see how you come to this choice. Usually it seems something just lights your fire and you gotta have it. Honestly, I think you're not ready to buy yet. But, if the money is burning a hole in your pocket, why not flip a coin? Without a doubt you'll be happy with either one.

For the record...I'd go CF.

jeffg
08-24-2004, 10:13 PM
Parlee is a flat out racing bike , Higher BB and shorter wheel base . Probably a faster front end too . Not with the Serotta . And if you ask Bob Parlee to make a Z1 like a Serotta in terms of Geometry it would not be a Parlee.

Why are you not buying a Parlee instead of a Hampstem ,gee talk to Bob direct and cut out the middleman . My vote is Serotta just cause you can get it your way . :banana: :banana:

Smiley --

I have both a Legend and a Hampsten Z-1. My reason for the Z-1 was I really enjoyed the ride of it, and thought that Hampsten's geos make a great deal of sense (and Steve is wonderful to work with -- plus an e-mail or two from Andy H. :banana:) As I have stated earlier, my bike (55X57) has 73.5 HTA, 73 STA, 41.1 CS and 7.3 BB drop. It handles just beautifully, climbs well, and is a gorgeous frame IMHO. The Legend, on the other hand, is my first love, and has been to Italy, France, and back to CA for two DCS this year -- it travels with me. It has an 8 bb drop and 41.5 CS, but those are the only geo differences. I really don't notice an appreciable difference in the handling of the bikes. The Hampsten may be a tad quicker, but not noticeably. Comfort? Any bike that can handle 200+ miles and 16,000+ feet of climbing in a day kicks a**, and both bikes fit the bill.

If I could have one bike it would be a Legend due to (1) durability (2) feel of Ti versus carbon (though the parlee is easily the best riding CF bike I have experienced) and (3) cost (now). When I bought my Hampsten a Z-1 was quite a bit less than a Legend (by about $500). Now the Parlee is about $300 more than a Legend. Either one is a great bike.

Now, as for Hampsten Z1 versus CDA? One is 2x the other, so it's tough to compare. On value, I would opt for a CIII (or CSi ;) -- saw a CSi today at the factory that was really beautiful) and trick it out. Yet I must say it strikes me as odd that people want comparisons between bikes of different materials. I usually choose the material, then go for the builder. When I bought my Legend I wanted a Ti bike. When I got the Hampsten I wanted that carbon bike. The feel of both bikes, though, is very different. I can only recommend that people ride a few bikes of different materials to get a sense.

hooverone
08-25-2004, 12:06 AM
I guess if price was no issue I would get an Ottrott, then when I see what Serotta is doing with carbon that got me looking at an all carbon bike.

It seems the CDA would be a great bike also since I have only ever riden all steel bikes fork and frame.

Basically I want to get the best riding bike for the money and can not decide which one to get.

I have test ridden a cannondale and could not stand it too stiff, test rode a seven elium liked that a lot, and I can not test ride a parlee or cda, I did test ride an Ottrott and all I can figure is that that bike was built too stiff for me because I did not like it, oh well I guess I could just get nothing, way too confusing.

Jim

vaxn8r
08-25-2004, 12:28 AM
I honestly don't think any of the bikes you mentioned are too stiff. Look at the wheelsets or tire pressures/widths because that will make a much bigger difference than what the frame is made of.

If you're looking for comfort your best bet is probably titanium with a set of 32 spoke wheels, box rims and 25c tires. Then again, put those exact wheels on anything else and it will be comfortable too.

Kurt
08-25-2004, 01:12 AM
Basically I want to get the best riding bike for the money and can not decide which one to get...

You might want to step back from looking @ frame materials for a moment and concentrate on fit – over time, that will provide you with the best ride. Its clichι, but a good fitting machine should disappear underneath you. I am surprised @ your comment about the cdale you tested – maybe it was not a long enough test or your roads are really bad, but I am on my second one – first a caad7 and the bikes are very comfortable for what they are – I would say the only attribute that would distinguish it different from my legend, which was built super stiff is a very slight road buzz that I notice after maybe 65 miles – the legend and probably most ti feels smoother over bad conditions than the cdale. Maybe the cdale did not fit, although their geo is pretty standard. To me, frame selection is sort of like buying audio equipment, one is built somewhat around the type of music you listen to and the frame should compliment the majority of riding you intend to do. If all I rode was crap roads I would get something in carbon – like a calfee – something that could be turned. All around – steel, climbing – al, the cdale is hard to beat – long distance + climbing, ti – that’s how I look @ it anyhow. If you have an offtherack body then most frames can be made to work, if not then serotta in the hands of a good fitter is a great choice and the service is the best if something ever goes wrong with the frame. Take your time and test everything you can – the best bike is one that makes you want to ride!

hooverone
08-25-2004, 01:24 AM
I appreciate everones input, I will keep looking for the perfect frame it might just be a CDA.

I have had 2 fits done by serotta shops, both have taught me a lot about frames and cleats and knees, I have never been so comfortable even on my existing frame after those fits.

To be honest I have no pain after those fits were done so I am very happy with that, and I am glad that Serotta has put together such a good program with creating and training people to become certified fitters so there is more good information out there.

Jim

Bruce K
08-25-2004, 06:46 AM
Jim;

I sent you a reply to your PM, but basically a couple of things.

I did get to test ride a Parlee for a week (see old thread/report).

I liked the bike alot, but would not trade my Ottrott ST for it. I ride a fair number of metrics, centuries, and charity events and for me, the Ottrott is the most comfortable, consistant, and all around performing bike I can think of.

The Parlee climbs a bit better, but I was not as comfortable on it at high speed, especially descending. I also found it to be much more responsive than the OCLV's that I have ridden in the past.

At some point I would like to own one of Bob's Z3's (compact geometry).

I have also heard some very good things about the Scott CR1 but I have not yet had the opportunity to ride one. I saw Tim Johnson's Saunier Duval - Prodir CR1 recently and was very impressed with the fit/finish of the frameset and Tim seemed to be really enjoying the bike.

I think your choice here should really focus on the type of riding you do. IF you ride like me I would go for the CdA. If you ride like the "big guns" around here you might enjoy the Parlee more.

BK

quattro
08-25-2004, 08:13 AM
I have had my new Parlee Z1 on the road for four rides. I just can't say enough about the ride of this bike. The comfort is something that you will not get from any other material. I also own a Indy Fab Crown Jewel Ti, a bike that I love. The ride of Ti, while excellent is not as smooth as that of carbon fiber. I have been amazed at the way the Parlee floats over bumpy roads and climbs, boy does it just love to climb! On my solo 25 mile ride just last night,a ride I do regularly on my Indy Fab, I had a new best average speed of 19.4 m.p.h. on the Parlee. As I rode up hills I found myself excellerating and down shifting, it was amazing. I highly recommend the Parlee and working with Bob and the folks at Parlee Cycles was a pleasure. You really need to test ride a Parlee before making a decision. Good luck.

drd
08-25-2004, 12:42 PM
You should be able to get a test ride on a Parlee. That's definitely one advantage of going directly to Parlee instead of through Hampsten. I test road a z3c before buying one, and the one I test road had allegedly just been shipped back to Boston from a test ride in Florida. Talk to your LBS or the factory.

Doug

Climb01742
08-25-2004, 01:03 PM
i'm not trying to convince anyone to use hampsten over directly working with the folks at parlee. but i just wanted to say that steve and andy hampsten are anything but "middlesmen". to me, a middleman is someone who adds very little value. i personally found steve very helpful, knowledgeable and open-minded. you may wish to work directly with parlee; that's way cool. or you may, like i did, want to get an additional, different perspective. for me, a frame is a chance to learn. i learned stuff from steve. and trust me, steve is very cool if you want to talk to parlee directly too. i did. so in a way, i got the best of both brains. seems like a win-win to me.

hooverone
08-25-2004, 01:25 PM
You should be able to get a test ride on a Parlee. That's definitely one advantage of going directly to Parlee instead of through Hampsten. I test road a z3c before buying one, and the one I test road had allegedly just been shipped back to Boston from a test ride in Florida. Talk to your LBS or the factory.

Doug

Thanks for the info I called Parlee and they have one in my state they are going to try to get it down to my City, Thanks

I am going to try the z3c

Thanks Again.

:banana: :)

Jim

Climb01742
08-25-2004, 01:42 PM
jim--i think you'll be happy. when i test rode a parlee, i couldn't stop grinning.