PDA

View Full Version : Training Etiquette

trymorecowbell
02-19-2008, 02:47 PM
So I'm on a group ride on Saturday that's the big testost-o-fest ride of the week. You all know what I'm talking about with all types of dogs showing up. Big, Small, Fast, Slow, New, Old, etc. We ride out 10 miles as a warm up then do three 10 mile laps before heading back in. If you get dropped you ride reverse and jump back in. We'll that's what one guy did. After getting back in he attacks, chases and even wins the finish sprint. So then some all-bent-out-of-shape guy and his teammates come up to the course-cutter calling him a cheater and saying he didn't "win" because he cut the course and chased down Mr. all-bent-out-of-shape's teammate who was off the front.

What would you do?
chase, chase, chase if dropped
cut course and jump back in when dropped
bail and just ride home when dropped
grab a 2x4 and go all Gaggioli when called a cheater
it's a training ride - tell the dude to chill
??

Ozz
02-19-2008, 03:00 PM
....So then some all-bent-out-of-shape guy and his teammates come up to the course-cutter calling him a cheater and saying he didn't "win" .......
Do people like this really exist? :no:

Maybe the course-cutter could:
1 - Offer to give back the prize money?
2 - Agree that he didn't win cuz it was not a race?
3 - Introduce them to "swoop" so they can get some therapy?

....it's a training ride - tell the dude to chill
then find a new group to ride with. :cool:

WadePatton
02-19-2008, 03:01 PM
it's a training ride - tell the dude to chill

you roadies... :D

92degrees
02-19-2008, 03:01 PM
How do you "win" a training ride?

Ti Designs
02-19-2008, 03:09 PM
It's a training ride. What you take from a training ride is the training, not the victory. Mr bent-out-of-shape is why guys show up on winter training rides with carbon aero wheels. The difference between a training ride and a race - other than the entry fee, is when the training and learning stops. If it's a race and a rider gets dropped, the learning ends. Sure, they can chase, but learning how to hang in the group stops right there. In a training ride the dropped riders get back in and the learning continues. I've never understood the people who say "just race into shape", then spend the next month getting dropped in races. Another advantage of training rides is you can pull the ballsy moves and see what happens. In races the experienced riders play conservitive while the new riders ride stupid. Training rides give us old farts the chance to ride dumb!

Fixed
02-19-2008, 03:09 PM
it's all in the mind ..
3 loops 3 sprints ?
first girl first old cat first kid where does it end first looser imho
cheers

Blue Jays
02-19-2008, 03:15 PM
Wouldn't particpants simply say, "...Hey, that's the guy who dropped off the back during the previous lap. I'm not going to chase him now that he is well-rested and attacking..." and continue with their normal training ride?

Bill Bove
02-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Ti Designs gets it.

SWorks4me
02-19-2008, 03:17 PM
next week, i would pee on his shoes at the start.

when he asked what i was thinking/doing? I would ask him the same thing about last week...

rphetteplace
02-19-2008, 03:28 PM

when he asked what i was thinking/doing? I would ask him the same thing about last week...

I agree this would be a great idea.....I just might add that you check the color of your pee first and make sure to have a freshly shaved scrotum :beer:

SWorks4me
02-19-2008, 03:29 PM
I agree this would be a great idea.....I just might add that you check the color of your pee first and make sure to have a freshly shaved scrotum :beer:

Waxed!

Ti Designs
02-19-2008, 03:30 PM

A training ride is NOT a pissing contest.

SWorks4me
02-19-2008, 03:34 PM
A training ride is NOT a pissing contest.

he made it one...i finished it. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Ginger
02-19-2008, 03:47 PM
Waxed!
laser. It only hurts for a while.

As far as the original question?
Laugh.

jimcav
02-19-2008, 04:15 PM

seriously, nice cross-thread-call back on the pee/shorn joke

classic, i'd not ride with that guy--he sounds like he might cause a crash.

jim

jimcav
02-19-2008, 04:16 PM

now i'm wiping it up. stings the nostrils too!

jim

William
02-19-2008, 04:25 PM
First off...It's a training ride (as has been said). People need to get a life.

Second, if a guy wheel sucks an entire race to conserve energy, then bumps off your mate in the sprint, should he get all bent out of shape about it because he didn't work or "pull his own weight"? If so, he still needs to get a life.

Roll with the punches or get knocked out. :fight:

William

MalleyNogo
02-19-2008, 08:04 PM
First off...It's a training ride (as has been said). People need to get a life.

Second, if a guy wheel sucks an entire race to conserve energy, then bumps off your mate in the sprint, should he get all bent out of shape about it because he didn't work or "pull his own weight"? If so, he still needs to get a life.

Roll with the punches or get knocked out. :fight:
William

Yep, so long as the wheel sucking sprinter receives the same advice... :beer:

BumbleBeeDave
02-19-2008, 08:16 PM
. . . So then some all-bent-out-of-shape guy and his teammates come up to the course-cutter calling him a cheater and saying he didn't "win" because he cut the course and chased down Mr. all-bent-out-of-shape's teammate who was off the front.

. . . by people like this is training newbies to go find another group to train with. We have our share of "training" rides around here where guys "train" like they're racing for money. I avoid them.

If the guy who "cut back in" is your buddy then you razz him about "winning"--then all have a good laugh and you buy him a beer to congratulate him on his "victory." If the guy who "cut back in" is totally unknown to you, then you let it go. It's a training ride . . .

BBD

shoe
02-19-2008, 11:39 PM
i think a move out of state would be the easiest way to solve this situation....i think i am going to start riding a trainer...good luck out there....dave

RIHans
02-20-2008, 12:53 AM

It's a group ride, right? Did you pin on numbers?

To answer the thread question, Etiquette. I also attend training races. It's a
shorter loop. Ya' get smoked off the back, you take a blow, recover, get back in the group. Training.

However, if you were dropped, you ease off the last lap or two, stay out of the sprint. You were dropped. Train harder. :no:

Fixed
02-20-2008, 07:11 AM
when your racing on open roads running stop signs and red lights someone gets hurt imho
and they call messengers dumb
cheers :beer:

Tom
02-20-2008, 07:22 AM
and it was really embarrassing one day, one of our guys - a beer keg shaped red headed Irish guy from Ireland - went completely nuts on some high school kid because the high school kid neatly took the ball off his foot every single time the Irish guy tried to dribble past him.

After we separated them we took the kid aside and asked him to give the Irish guy a pass every sixth or seventh time just to make him feel good about himself. We promised to give up the ball as soon as he did that.

Sometimes you have to prop up people's fragile egos.