PDA

View Full Version : Positioning an Arione Saddle...

bostondrunk
02-19-2008, 12:51 PM
Is the Arione saddle supposed to be mounted a bit further back than other saddles? My understanding is that your sit bones are supposed to rest on the wide 'wings' of the saddle, so should those wings be at the same position as the back section of other typical saddles??

mosca
02-19-2008, 01:07 PM
In my experience going from a Flite to an Arione, the nose of the Arione needs to be at least 10mm farther back to get you in the same position. I recommend the Swoop method of putting one saddle upside down on top of the other and aligning the flared-out sections, then check the relative position of the noses.

Grant McLean
02-19-2008, 01:10 PM
see post below

(edit)

-g

swoop
02-19-2008, 01:11 PM
i'm with grant.

mosca
02-19-2008, 01:17 PM
Are you guys messing with my mind? The Arione seems to be longer in back and shorter in front than my old Flite, relative to the flared out portion. Guess I'll have to check it again tonight... :)

ClutchCargo
02-19-2008, 01:21 PM
I may be missing something, but why not just position it where you think it'll work, then ride and adjust?

Grant McLean
02-19-2008, 01:42 PM
The Arione seems to be longer in back and shorter in front than my old Flite, relative to the flared out portion. Guess I'll have to check it again tonight... :)

OK, i got it. You mean the saddle, i was thinking the distance from the tip
of the saddle to the bars.

I stacked a Flight on top of an Arione down in our shop, and yes, the flight
nose comes further forward than than the arione, so if you're positioning
the saddle based on the measurement from the bars, the Arione will need
to be BACK a little bit more, about 8ish mm's.

cheers

G

mosca
02-19-2008, 01:59 PM
OK, i got it. You mean the saddle, i was thinking the distance from the tip
of the saddle to the bars.

I stacked a Flight on top of an Arione down in our shop, and yes, the flight
nose comes further forward than than the arione, so if you're positioning
the saddle based on the measurement from the bars, the Arione will need
to be BACK a little bit more, about 8ish mm's.

cheers

GCool, but are those Canadian or American millimeters?

Grant McLean
02-19-2008, 02:05 PM
Cool, but are those Canadian or American millimeters?

let's go to the UN world court, and let 'em figure it out

:D

-g

Cinci Jim
02-19-2008, 03:42 PM
I may be missing something, but why not just position it where you think it'll work, then ride and adjust?

I fillet weld my saddle rails to the seat post, so adjustment is not possible.

I wonder if lugs would work better for this application?

Discuss...

Peter P.
02-19-2008, 08:28 PM
ClutchCargo gets it.

I'd suggest, even if you don't follow some sort of KOPS rule, to at least measure where your knee aligns relative to the pedal spindle using your current saddle. Install the Arione, situate yourself comfortably on it by riding on a trainer for 20-30 minutes until you've got an idea of where it feels right, then set your KOPS with the Arione to the same reading you got with the original saddle.

Too Tall
02-20-2008, 07:50 AM
Is the Arione saddle supposed to be mounted a bit further back than other saddles? My understanding is that your sit bones are supposed to rest on the wide 'wings' of the saddle, so should those wings be at the same position as the back section of other typical saddles??

Keep track of the level...suggest you start with it -1 degree (place a level nose to tip) than as it breaks in return it to level or +1. It's depressing.

zap
02-20-2008, 08:10 AM
TT let me break in an arione a while ago. It's an odd saddle but seemed to be comfortable if one needs padding on the saddle too.

I initially set it up by measuring bar to nose and bar to wide part. It looked about right but the long rear kind of throws you off. After the first mile I stopped and moved the saddle back some. Rode some more stopped, moved the saddle back a bit more. One cm total sounds about right.

I never did confirm my position in relation to kops as I gave the saddle back to tt all broken in.

If I owned one, I would probably hack off the rear.