PDA

View Full Version : Why watch Racing

mjb266
02-19-2008, 11:11 AM
Bike Snob's take on racing...discuss

Until cycling stops obsessing about dopers, I’m not watching road racing. You can’t invest any interest in a race without the trainer sweat mat getting yanked out from under you by some boring doping scandal, and this year’s going to be no different. Following this sport is like watching a DVD that keeps skipping--eventually you give up and watch something else.

I know these guys cheat, and I don't care. Cycling is an entire sport based on cheating. If you race or you know anything about racing, you know that it is based on doing as little work as possible. Your equipment and your tactics are designed around saving every bit of energy you can. It’s freeloading on wheels. You can’t then expect a bunch of cheaters to not push the glassine envelope when it comes to substances and chemicals.

Grant McLean
02-19-2008, 11:20 AM
I watched my tapes of the 1994 Tour de France yesterday. (about 10 hours...)

It's way more interesting looking back at races after some time has passed.
Maybe we should just put all the race coverage in the vault for 10 years,
and watch it later. It can be watched for entertainment value, and
with the perspective of the time that has passed.

-g

fixednwinter
02-19-2008, 11:37 AM

It can be watched for entertainment value, and

-g

With the Lemond interview in Rouleur a couple issues back, and recent ProCycling (or was it CycleSport) Lemond-edited issue, I bought a copy of the re-issued Lemond Tours (86, 89 and 90). It was interesting to watch the 86 Tour in particular, having read dozens of articles about the Lemond/Hinault conflict and knowing what had gone on behind the scenes.

Yeah, in many ways, I'm finding watching historical racing footage more interesting than the current scene...

J.Greene
02-19-2008, 12:20 PM
I'm racing every weekend now since our season just began. I refuse to think of "racing" as only what the pros do. If bike snob knows anything he'd know that what happens every weekend on cross courses, industrial parks, and lightly traveled roads across the US is what makes the whole thing happen at a higher level. I think that quote is idiotic. Think global act local atmo, support your local junior team.

JG

3chordwonder
02-19-2008, 04:13 PM
BikeSnob was just writing a humorous piece about watching the big pro races on TV, nothing to do with amateur sport. And he articulated something a lot of viewers feel to some extent. 'Idiotic' was probably a bit harsh.

AgilisMerlin
02-19-2008, 04:22 PM
Lots of people dope in MTB racing (proven) also, me thinks...........

as far as why I watch, read, take photos, ride, occasionally race..............

i enjoy it.......... :beer:

BBB
02-19-2008, 04:52 PM

It's way more interesting looking back at races after some time has passed.
Maybe we should just put all the race coverage in the vault for 10 years,
and watch it later. It can be watched for entertainment value, and

-g

Yep.

Indurain cruising past LA in the time trial before smashing the field up Hautacam while Rominger gets dropped with a bad case of the sh*ts. Impressive stuff, but the race was effectively over following an hour or so of time trialling and one climb.

Likewise in 95, Indurain on the attack the day before the TT, just winning the TT over Riis and then smashing the field up La Plagne. The race looked to be over, but ONCE and a determined Riis made it enjoyable.

Perspective makes it real interesting; the ease with which Indurain ripped past LA in that TT, the up and down nature of Gewiss riders in both races, the rise of Festina, the rise of Pantani...