PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting Brooks Pro and fit numbers...

burlsube
02-19-2008, 09:00 AM
I decided to give a Brooks Pro a try. My "undercarriage" is sensitive so I need to get it dialed in. When I was fit to my Concours an Aliante saddle was used. This saddle has a length of 26.5cm and from nose of saddle to center of the stem was 43.8cm seamed to work.

Now that I am using a Pro which is 28 cm I had found that distance from saddle to stem isn't quite right. Sometimes I find myself sitting so far back that I am almost sitting on the metal horse shoe underneath. I think according to the numbers I should move the saddle back about 1.5-2cm... does that sound right?

Also if that is true then I think i need a seat post with even more set back then my FSA K Force or could I get a slightly shorter stem to account for the difference?

:confused:

dave thompson
02-19-2008, 09:34 AM
The key to getting your Brooks "just right" is not in the numbers, it's where your butt should be. The Brooks has a 'sweet spot' that may or may not correspond to your other saddle. You should position the Brooks where your butt wants to be. If it takes a different seatpost, buy one.

regularguy412
02-19-2008, 09:34 AM
I do not own a Brooks Pro, nor have I ever ridden one. However, I believe I read in another thread that most of the Brooks saddles usually require a post with more setback in order to be able to get the right fore/aft adjustment.

'Most' men's saddles are in the 270mm range for length -- you noted 265mm for you Aliante. I'd say move it back about half the difference (280-265)/2 -- or about 7 mm. If you can't get it back that far due to limited setback, then you'll obviously need a different post. What you may run into, is the fact that the two saddles have a different shape, right where they get wider. Also, the Brooks will take some breaking-in. I say, move it to the spot that feels best and ride it. Since you're changing saddle styles, you'll just have to experiment.

When you find a saddle that works for you, buy several. I , personally, can't ride a Brooks because I have pretty caustic sweat. I ruined two saddles (one was my fave , old-style Concours with the turned up rear edge) because I sweated on it so much. Since then, I have been putting a waterproof saddle cover on all my saddles. The 100th Anniversary Selle Italia saddle that I bought in 1997 is still as good today as it was then. Unfortunately, I don't think you can really break in your Brooks when you have a saddle cover on it.

Good luck.

MIke in AR :beer:

palincss
02-19-2008, 11:37 AM
However, I believe I read in another thread that most of the Brooks saddles usually require a post with more setback in order to be able to get the right fore/aft adjustment.

No, more accurately, Brooks saddles have less room for adjustment in the rails than many other types of saddles. You simply can't push them as far back on the rails as you can some others. So if you need to have the saddle fairly far back and don't have a fairly slack seat angle, you may need a seatpost with additional setback. It's also fair to say chances of getting a proper position with a zero-setback post and a Brooks saddle are slim indeed.

When you find a saddle that works for you, buy several.

You mean, because the manufacturer is certainly going to either change it so it won't work for you any more, or simply discontinue it. That's not the case with the Brooks.

I was looking at some of the old Brooks catalogs that are online the other day, and found that the B.17, my favorite, was in the 1908 catalog precisely as it is today; and it wasn't a new saddle back then. If you are fortunate enough to find a Brooks model that works perfectly for you, you can be pretty confident it will stay in the line just as it is.

regularguy412
02-19-2008, 01:09 PM
No, more accurately, Brooks saddles have less room for adjustment in the rails than many other types of saddles. You simply can't push them as far back on the rails as you can some others. So if you need to have the saddle fairly far back and don't have a fairly slack seat angle, you may need a seatpost with additional setback. It's also fair to say chances of getting a proper position with a zero-setback post and a Brooks saddle are slim indeed.

You mean, because the manufacturer is certainly going to either change it so it won't work for you any more, or simply discontinue it. That's not the case with the Brooks.

I was looking at some of the old Brooks catalogs that are online the other day, and found that the B.17, my favorite, was in the 1908 catalog precisely as it is today; and it wasn't a new saddle back then. If you are fortunate enough to find a Brooks model that works perfectly for you, you can be pretty confident it will stay in the line just as it is.

It appears that you are predicting the future based on the past. While it's true that Brooks have made the 'same' saddle for a long time,, that's really not proof they will continue to make it. I will agree, though, that it's very likely they will continue in the same vein. What we don't know is how much wear he will put on a Brooks. Some, like me, might wear one out in just a few years due to a lot of moisture (sweat, rain, etc.). My actual thought was that he could break in two or three saddles at the same time and have a similar ride for a much longer time, without having to do a new break-in a few years later. I was off the bike for six years, and I had to get a new saddle for the Serotta TG I purchased. I really like my old Selle Italia 100th Anniversay, but it was only made for a short time. The SLK is as close as I could find, based on width and profile, to the 100th Anniversary edition -- even though it is made considerably different with a split down the middle.

Saddles are so personal, I just thought it very important to ensure the availability of the 'right' saddle. Take care of yourself -- don't depend on manufacturers to keep you bailed out. Our anatomies are too specific. As we get older ( yep, I'm older ), our bodies don't like to be forced into change just because we can't duplicate the saddle we sit upon.

MIke in AR :beer:

sg8357
02-19-2008, 02:06 PM
Looking at some old 1956 CTC Gazettes, the bike adverts are fun.

Several different bikes brands specify 71 sta with a 73 hta, generally
available in 21in and 23in sizes. Seat pins back then had a little offset.
All leather saddles of course. So if you ride a Brooks, have your
builder copy the geo of a 1956 Raleigh Lenton Sport or a "Famous James"

Scott G.