PDA

View Full Version : OT: Hurray! KEXP to NYC

ti_boi
02-19-2008, 08:30 AM
Seattle's KEXP-FM, NYC station team up

KEXP-FM/90.3 announced Monday a partnership through which the Seattle station will provide 39 hours of music programming a week to a radio station operated by the city of New York.

The partnership, called Radio Liberation, will launch March 24 on WNYE-FM.

WNYE will air a three-hour weekday music show, produced by KEXP, during New York's morning drive. That will be followed by a simulcast of KEXP's own Seattle-based morning drive show, hosted by DJ John Richards.

Also on the schedule are a one-hour, seven-nights-a-week show to air at midnight New York time and a two-hour music variety show on Thursdays, hosted by KEXP Programming Director Kevin Cole.

This wouldn't be the first time programming that originated on a Seattle radio station finds an audience in another city. In the commercial radio realm, Bob Rivers' show on KZOK-FM has tried syndication before. KUBE-FM's morning host Rob "The T-Man" Tepper is currently heard on stations in Portland and San Francisco.

Nor is it the first time KEXP has experimented with ways to broaden its listenership beyond its existing frequency. For several years it simulcast its programming on a Tacoma station (now operated by KUOW-FM), and it recently applied to operate a station on Whidbey Island. KEXP already enjoys a national reputation in the independent rock scene through its Web site, kexp.org. And it is a contributor to a music Web site National Public Radio recently launched. KEXP Executive Director Tom Mara says a third of the station's members live outside Washington.

But the KEXP-WNYE partnership is significant not only for the amount of programming to be shared, but also the extent of collaboration between the two.

Mara said Radio Liberation will provide "a real innovative, progressive way of doing music in Seattle and New York." He said KEXP's approach to presenting its genre of music, alternately referred to as indie, college or eclectic rock, isn't currently available in New York.

The shows KEXP produces for WNYE will include not only artists from the Northwest -- KEXP says it plays at least one Northwest performer every hour -- but also New York-area performers. The evening show, for example, will provide opportunities to New York-area DJ/turntablists to record hourlong sets.

"We've had comments from New York artists who say the only way to hear them is through kexp.org," Mara said.

KEXP produced more than 400 live-broadcast band performances last year, many of which were made available in podcasts, in its Seattle studios and at music conferences in New York, Chicago, Portland and Austin, Texas. Mara believes that will expand as a result of the collaboration.

Mara said Richards' show won't be made generic in order to play in New York as well as Seattle. "We don't have any interest in losing our Seattle-centricity," he said.

WNYE, meanwhile, has been looking to expand its music and talk programming, in addition to the ethnic and cultural shows it already airs.

Mara said KEXP will support the new venture through underwriting grants; it has already hired an underwriting representative in New York.

Mara didn't disclose the cost of the venture with WNYE, but added "the cash outlays are relatively small" and KEXP is projecting a net profit "in a couple of years." The programming aired on WNYE will not include pledge-drive announcements heard on KEXP.

KEXP has no plans to establish similar ventures with stations in other cities. "We'll spend a year gaining this experience before we make any decision on replicating this model," Mara said.

The University of Washington holds the license for KEXP, which is operated by a non-profit group. Since 2002 KEXP has had an affiliation with Paul Allen and Vulcan Inc., which have provided studio facilities and financial support.

IXXI
02-19-2008, 09:06 AM
KEXP is the best thing to ever come out of microsofties. :beer:

sent from my imac, streaming kexp

Sasha18
02-19-2008, 11:28 AM
I'm glad we can share this with the world. I hope they broadcast the African music show and wo'pop, the tuesday world pop show.

fiamme red
02-19-2008, 11:47 AM
One of my all-time favorite radio shows used to be on WNYE: Blanco and Blanco, Mondays and Tuesdays, 7:10-9:00 a.m. They (a local husband and wife team, with baby daughter sometimes in tow) played music of the 1910's-1940's. The show was pulled a couple of years ago in favor of BBC World Service. I haven't listened to WNYE since then.

Diversity is dying out on the radio, and local public radio stations are also eliminating local programs and replacing them with syndicated programs (from NPR, PRI, BBC, etc.).

ti_boi
02-19-2008, 11:53 AM
One of my all-time favorite radio shows used to be on WNYE: Blanco and Blanco, Mondays and Tuesdays, 7:10-9:00 a.m. They (a local husband and wife team, with baby daughter sometimes in tow) played music of the 1910's-1940's. The show was pulled a couple of years ago in favor of BBC World Service. I haven't listened to WNYE since then.

Please support your local public radio shows!

I for one will not miss the Diane Rhem show and the BBC world service (if they dump them).... Since I cannot stream from work...and KEXP's morning show has always been my favorite....excellent alternative music...and really great college radio. Something sorely lacking in the area. I'm OK with local being in Seattle.

Grant McLean
02-19-2008, 11:54 AM
KEXP is great, i catch it on the web.

KCRW should be next to get a broader audience,
that station is even better, atmo.

-g

ti_boi
03-25-2008, 04:28 AM
A much broader broadcast for KEXP

By Florangela Davila

As part of a new partnership, KEXP-FM DJ John Richards' morning show will be simulcast in New York starting today.

KEXP DJ Kevin Cole, in the radio station's vinyl and CD room, will produce and host a daily morning show for WNYE in New York as part of a new programming partnership.

KEXP in New York
A joint programming venture between Seattle's KEXP-FM and New York's WYNE-FM launches today. KEXP-produced shows that will air in New York include:

"The John In the Morning Show" Three hours of John Richards weekday morning show will be simulcast on the New York station. The show's Seattle time slot (6 a.m. to 10 a.m.) won't be affected even when Richards broadcasts from New York.

"Wake Up" Kevin Cole, KEXP afternoon DJ, hosts a weekday drive-time morning show for WNYE. The show will be a combo of live and prerecorded segments.

"Music That Matters" A weekly show on WNYE hosted by various KEXP DJs.

"MoGlo" A daily midnight show on WNYE featuring Seattle and New York turntablists.

Long before the masses discovered catchy Afrobeat preppies Vampire Weekend, public radio station KEXP-FM played their music. So what if the band didn't yet have a manager, a publicist, a label or an ounce of industry buzz? The DJs at KEXP liked what they heard, and they figured their listeners might too. And they were right.

That's just the latest example of how the Seattle radio station has helped vault bands (Modest Mouse, Death Cab For Cutie, Nirvana) from obscurity to fame. "No commercial station was playing our music," said Ezra Koenig, Vampire Weekend's lead singer. "On the first tour we did, by the time we got to Seattle, it was like everyone was familiar with the song ('A-Punk')."

Now, KEXP's own profile is about to rise. Starting today, KEXP's shows will air on WNYE-FM in New York, exposing the Seattle station to as many as 14 million listeners.

KEXP (90.3) will provide the New York public-radio station 39 hours of weekly programming, including simulcasts of its signature "Morning Show" with John Richards, who will split his time between coasts. The arrangement gives the Seattle station major-market visibility and affirms its muscle in the music industry.

The partnership should also benefit local listeners, giving the station better access to the New York music scene.

Still Seattle-centric

The station's management insists that KEXP, revered as quintessentially Seattle, won't be any less focused on the local music scene.

"We dedicate a slot every hour to a Northwest artist. We have no interest in losing our Seattle-centricity," says executive director Tom Mara.

"When we've gone to other cities — Portland, New York, Austin — we're bringing the music of Seattle to those cities. [Now] we'll be in New York, and we'll be at street level at the music scene there, and that's part of our obligation, too — to bring music into people's lives."

Building KEXP

The cultural force that is KEXP started in 1972 as tiny, scrappy KCMU. It had an all-volunteer staff and an album-rock format. Its station was housed at the University of Washington with a signal strength that didn't stretch much beyond campus.

Now, the 36-year-old station, rechristened as KEXP in 2001 when Paul Allen got involved, has an operating budget of $3.8 million, some 40 full-time staffers, an army of volunteers and a state-of-the-art facility on Dexter Avenue North.

A pioneer in Internet radio, the station's listening audience already reaches around the globe (maps with push-pins showing listener requests from all seven continents hang in the studio).

Until today, its radio broadcast reached an audience of some 2 million; now, KEXP programming will go out to some 14 million people in the Tri-State area. The joint venture, expected to cost between $100,000 and $200,000, will be funded through underwriting support.

WNYE (91.5 FM), New York City's publicly-owned radio station, catered largely to the city's immigrant enclaves. Recently, however, the station decided to revamp its programming and was looking for something fresh when it came upon KEXP.

"These guys are doing it right," says Matthew Tollin, chief financial officer and general manager of WNYE radio operations. "They have this hunger of experimenting, of redefining things."

Musical matchmaking

Tollin first met Kevin Cole, DJ and senior programming director at KEXP, two years ago at a public-radio conference in Los Angeles. And when Cole started talking about the music in rotation at KEXP, it was obvious how much New York indie rock the station was already playing

The pair started talking, and in October 2006, Cole began hosting a weekly pilot show for the New York Station — "Music That Matters" — sort of an abbreviated version of his current KEXP variety show. It was a success, Tollin says, for an audience that's decidedly finicky.

"When you go to lounges and clubs [in New York], people pride themselves for not being played a top-40 national formula," he says. "They're really hungry for content. So the idea of giving them something new and fresh and different is something they're really into."

Fans and critics

Indeed, KEXP sees itself as the antithesis of commercial-music radio stations. Its DJs have no mandatory playlists; every KEXP show is unmistakably, inarguably, theirs.

But like anything that's popular, the station has its haters. An ongoing and exhaustive online "Stranger" forum, for example, takes issue with its expensive and failed effort to expand into Tacoma and Olympia in 2004, its talent and management salaries and even its musical choices.

Yet just as passionately, fans laud Richards as well as the station for what they've done to elevate the local music scene, not just by playing local musicians but by tirelessly promoting local music events.

Others also praise the station — honored this year with a Plug Independent Music award — for being enormously influential.

"It's almost like KEXP and Pitchfork [an online music magazine] are the two starting points for anyone who is looking for new music," says Brian Beck, a former DJ on Seattle's "The End" and now a rep for Canvasback Music. He lives in New York.

"Anyone who's into indie or new music listens to the station. Part of the job is to look at their playlists every week to see what's new or been added," says Jon Treneff, a buyer for Sonic Boom Records in Seattle.

"They mean everything to our bands," says Megan Jasper, executive vice president at Sub Pop Records. On record-release day, Sub Pop angles for a KEXP in-studio appearance. Such appearances, Jasper says, directly affect sales.

"We're a touring band, and when we travel all over, people in Vienna, in Zagreb come to our shows and say, 'I heard you on KEXP! I listen to it on my computer,' " says John Roderick, of the Seattle-based indie band The Long Winters. "They [Richards and DJ Cheryl Waters] are famously, deeply connected to the music scene. They hear about bands because everybody talks to them, and they make it a point to listen to stuff that isn't yet released."

Hunting for gems

A little before 6 a.m. on a recent Thursday morning in KEXP's Dexter Avenue studios, DJ Richards culls music from the station's massive library. He pulls from a stack of music that's already been designated as "new," or from files discovered on MySpace and off blogs, and some that people gave to him.

Some 1,000 or so CDs arrive at the station every week, he estimates. And someone reviews every single one. It's how you make discoveries, how you forge relationships with emerging artists and cement credibility with listeners who could so easily tune out.

On this day, Richards is ready to bust out a new song by the local band Fleet Foxes. And another, an artist so new that he still hasn't quite figured out how to pronounce her name: Yila.

Richards plays a set of Cloud Cult, Jeff Buckley and Fleet Foxes. A listener e-mails in: "There's an artistry in what you do."

Der_Kruscher
03-25-2008, 10:18 AM
Being a former Seattleite, I miss KEXP deperately. I don't have opportunities to stream so I can't easily listen anymore. The station is such a great intro to new music - I can't count how many CD's I've purchased after hearing an artist on KEXP and the hosts & specialty shows are great. Good for KEXP and good for NY!

big shanty
03-25-2008, 10:25 AM
Being a former Seattleite, I miss KEXP deperately. I don't have opportunities to stream so I can't easily listen anymore. The station is such a great intro to new music - I can't count how many CD's I've purchased after hearing an artist on KEXP and the hosts & specialty shows are great. Good for KEXP and good for NY!

Yes, but San Francisco has way better Mexican polka. And appently you get the T-Man show? You're all set.