PDA

View Full Version : Will the Navy hit the satellite on Thursday?

roman meal
02-18-2008, 08:34 PM
The Navy plans to take out a reportedly malfunctioning bus-sized spy satellite on Thursday with a modified missile before it falls back into the atmosphere and presents a potential danger to folks here on earth.

Will it hit it, or miss?

MadRocketSci
02-18-2008, 08:36 PM
easy-peasy

manet
02-18-2008, 08:37 PM
u sure its not a campaign bus

DarrenCT
02-18-2008, 08:37 PM
HIT

if im wrong, i'll drink a beer.

Sandy
02-18-2008, 08:40 PM
Great question. The world will be watching. If the Navy and others involved did not have a long time to plan for this I would say that they woudn't hit it. But due to the time frame and the international importance of it all, I say they hit it. If they were not somewhat confident, I don't think they would even try. It places some potential credibility on a later effective missle/laser defense of the US, I would think.

A hit!

Sandy

Sandy
02-18-2008, 08:41 PM
HIT

if im wrong, i'll drink a beer.

and if you are correct, you will dring two?? :)

Schlitz Sandy

Viper
02-18-2008, 08:41 PM
We knew what this whole thing was about back in 1985 atmo (great movie atmo):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5qtU-tO3Jk&feature=related

:D

roman meal
02-18-2008, 08:42 PM
what odds is stevep giving?

Sandy
02-18-2008, 08:43 PM
Viper could talk it down to a soft landing or have it decide to change its course on its own and never come near us again. :) :)

Sandy

roman meal
02-18-2008, 08:46 PM
They would have never made it public if they were not certain they could obliterate the thing.

PS: Its the Hubble clone that was pointed in the other direction.

:rolleyes:

majorpat
02-18-2008, 08:48 PM
Only if they let a Marine Lance Corporal aim that sucker...

manet
02-18-2008, 08:49 PM
will homer be pressing the button

Viper
02-18-2008, 08:59 PM
A $10 million missile = pricey
Another $50 million to make it happen = expensive
Missing the missile = costly

If they used Campy parts, we have a chance. Give the missile EPO and GH.

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:pcv5gUopb5cJ:www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/02/15/spy.satellite/+satellite+us+missile+%2460+million&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

Ginger
02-18-2008, 09:04 PM
It places some potential credibility on a later effective missle/laser defense of the US, I would think.

Warning! Conspiracy theory ahead!

So...lets bring one of our satellites back to earth, then blow it out of the sky proving to those who are thinking we're getting soft that we can still reach out and touch them with our massive weapon (s)

I say they miss.

That way they can complain that they don't have enough dollars invested in that sort of system and the American People need to get up in arms about our lack of arms ability to protect America...

:)

Two theories for the price of one!

In other words...if they miss? It's intentional.

Viper
02-18-2008, 09:06 PM
This is a job for Roger Clemens. :beer:

Sandy
02-18-2008, 09:09 PM
They will hit it- They had a couple of Border Collies and Poodles directing the program. A couple of Pit Bulls to "talk to the Border Collies and Poodles" if they miss. They won't miss.

:banana: Dog Power :banana:

roman meal
02-18-2008, 09:10 PM
Has advanced the "magic missile" theory. After taking out the wayward satellite, it will make a 180 degree turn and come down and hit Osama Bin Laden, then about 250 superdelegates, and then turn and dig a trench from the Missisippi to Georgia to relieve the drought they have down there.

Sandy
02-18-2008, 09:12 PM
Has advanced the "magic missile" theory. After taking out the wayward satellite, it will make a 180 degree turn and come down and hit Osama Bin Laden, then about 250 superdelegates, and then turn and dig a trench from the Missisippi to Georgia to relieve the drought they have down there.

For real, Roman meal?? :rolleyes:

Super Smart Serotta Sandy

BumbleBeeDave
02-18-2008, 09:14 PM
. . . "Shimano." :p

BBD

roman meal
02-18-2008, 09:14 PM
For real, Roman meal?? :rolleyes:

Super Smart Serotta Sandy

I didn't say it was likely. Just possible.

manet
02-18-2008, 09:16 PM
This is a job for Roger Clemens. :beer:

and huckabee

roman meal
02-18-2008, 09:21 PM
and huckabee

and the x-presidents

manet
02-18-2008, 09:23 PM

roman meal
02-18-2008, 09:33 PM
The ambiguously gay duo will take out the satellite.

rwsaunders
02-18-2008, 10:31 PM
My bet is with the skimmers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_At2TjSj_I

regularguy412
02-18-2008, 10:34 PM
Warning! Conspiracy theory ahead!

So...lets bring one of our satellites back to earth, then blow it out of the sky proving to those who are thinking we're getting soft that we can still reach out and touch them with our massive weapon (s)

I say they miss.

That way they can complain that they don't have enough dollars invested in that sort of system and the American People need to get up in arms about our lack of arms ability to protect America...

In other words...if they miss? It's intentional.

This sounds very plausible,, but I bet they hit it anyway . <sigh>

Mike in AR

bigbill
02-18-2008, 10:59 PM
It's Satellite season and we're hunting Satellites.

LCDR Bigbill, USN

Tobias
02-18-2008, 11:14 PM
I say they miss.

In other words...if they miss? It's intentional.The Russians are ticked off that we are doing this, so if they miss it's likely to help defuse the issue IMO.

My question: If they miss how will we know? They'll tell us, right?

Sandy
02-18-2008, 11:23 PM
Sandy's Simple Sensible Satellite Smashing Solution-

Sandy's Silent Stealth Supersonic Spaceship Speed Satellite Selecting Seeking Striking Scorching Scattering Smashing Sizzler*

*A very large red, white, and blue Twizzler

Satellite Smashing Sandy

RIHans
02-19-2008, 01:02 AM
I know the Marines may have something to say about this. :D

Sandy
02-19-2008, 04:18 AM
So how many shots are they allowed to take? Just one? Two? Or as many as it takes, given enough time to do so?

:D Sharpshooter Sandy :D

97CSI
02-19-2008, 05:57 AM
Only if they let a Marine Lance Corporal aim that sucker...Yep........gotta have the Navy get him there. :)

Will appear to be a direct 'hit'. Just as the missile arrives the corporal will press the 'self destruct' button to blow up the satellite and we will scare those evil Ruskies. Who says the 'cold war' is dead? Now, if we could just find bin laden........ :cool:

Might add that the USN - USS Long Beach - shot down a couple of MIGs over NVN in '70 from ~100 miles off shore. Pretty fancy shooting.

Sandy
02-19-2008, 06:57 AM
Just listened to a General discuss shooting down the satellite. He said that the probability of success is high. In addition, he said that they are prepared to take 3 shots.

Sandy

Erik.Lazdins
02-19-2008, 07:02 AM
They will hit it on the first shot. If I recall correctly they have a 2 week window in which to fire.

What does one of these missles cost?

rwsaunders
02-19-2008, 07:18 AM
The news ran a story that the exercise will cost around $40M. That's cheap compared to the cost of the personal injury settlement claims that would occur. They're also reporting that Hillary Clinton requested that we try to steer the sat to land in China, in order to hasten the exchange of technology. :cool:

Viper
02-19-2008, 07:34 AM
Lou Reed sang of this atmo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUTq-WLI7RA

Although I prefer this band and certainly this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmPMcE0rLuI

(talk about paydirt, the vid has Miami Vice, Star Wars, Bladerunner etc atmo).

BigDaddySmooth
02-19-2008, 08:03 AM
Might add that the USN - USS Long Beach - shot down a couple of MIGs over NVN in '70 from ~100 miles off shore. Pretty fancy shooting.[/QUOTE]

Those Migs were landing so they were pretty easy targets. Have you ever seen the size of a Talos missile? Freaking huge. The Miggies never knew what hit them. Still, a 100 mile kill is great in anybody's book. BTW, it was the cruiser USS Chicago that did the damage.

The Navy did well against a large slow-moving target, USS Vincennes-1, Iranian Airbus-0. An unfortunate incident but after The USS Stark (hit by 2 missiles), nobody was taking any chances. FWIW, an Exocet sea-skimmer travels at over 500kts about 10' off the deck. Nasty missile if you're the target, asks the Brits ("adrenaline is brown and it runs down your leg"...British officer after experience in the Falklands War).

This satellite badboy is big, but fast. Reminds me of Patriots vs. Scuds. Not 100%. Given time to prepare, money to spend and 3 missiles, the USN will do us proud. :beer:

BigDaddySmooth
02-19-2008, 08:06 AM
Might add that the USN - USS Long Beach - shot down a couple of MIGs over NVN in '70 from ~100 miles off shore. Pretty fancy shooting.[/QUOTE]

Those Migs were landing so they were pretty easy targets. Have you ever seen the size of a Talos missile? Freaking huge. The Miggies never knew what hit them. Still, a 100 mile intercept is impressive in anybody's book. BTW, it was the cruiser USS Chicago that did the damage.

The Navy did well against a large slow-moving target, USS Vincennes-1, Iranian Airbus-0. An unfortunate incident but after The USS Stark (hit by 2 missiles), nobody was taking any chances.

This satellite badboy is big, but fast. Reminds me of Patriots vs. Scuds. Not 100%. Given time to prepare, money to spend and 3 missiles, the USN will do us proud. :beer:

BigDaddySmooth
02-19-2008, 08:07 AM

Those Migs were landing so they were pretty easy targets. Have you ever seen the size of a Talos missile? Freaking huge. The Miggies never knew what hit them. Still, a 100 mile intercept is impressive in anybody's book. BTW, it was the cruiser USS Chicago that did the damage. :banana:

The Navy did well against a large slow-moving target, USS Vincennes-1, Iranian Airbus-0. An unfortunate incident but after The USS Stark (hit by 2 missiles), nobody was taking any chances.

BigDaddySmooth
02-19-2008, 08:09 AM
Sorry for the multiple posts.

Kevan
02-19-2008, 08:09 AM
and I'm having a real dyckens of a time with it. The targeting system is such that I can't seem to override the testing parameters I initially used, aimed at a grey Porche in a Washington DC neighborhood. I figured the car was the perfect testing target, it travels at high rates of speed without any regard and it's course is most erratic.

Well, as I see it, one way or another at least I removed one dangerous object.

avalonracing
02-19-2008, 08:11 AM
We have to fight the satellites up there before they come attack us on our own soil. The other satellites will look at us a liberators after getting rid of that rogue satellite.