PDA

View Full Version : Rapha Lightweight or Craft Windstopper Thermal

Mshue
02-18-2008, 03:05 PM
I'm looking for a jacket that's good down to the 30s, assuming suitable layering. My current jacket, a Louis Garneau, is OK, but doesn't block the wind very well. This means that an hour into a ride when temps are in the 30s, I get chilled as the wind cuts through the jacket to the damp layers underneath.

It appears that Rapha has its Lightweight Softshell on sale for $220 (gets me a little bit of water resistance and decent wind stopping) and Craft's Windstopper Termal is on sale for ~$130 at World Cycling Productions. Anyone have any advice? Am I comparing apples to oranges?

Thanks for your thoughts.

coylifut
02-18-2008, 04:04 PM
all the craft stuff i've bought has worked out to be a great bang for the buck. the real benefit of the Rapha stuff is the fit. there's nothing like it. with that said, i'd get the Craft item, put it on, see how it feels on the bike. if i wasn't satisfied, i'd then go the Rapha route.

swoop
02-18-2008, 04:17 PM
small zippers.. no, make that tiny zippers on rapha... not so fun in gloves.

tv_vt
02-18-2008, 04:32 PM
Sure, they're on sale, but do they actually have your size in the color you want? Was looking at their winter thermal jacket on sale and they had it in one color and one size. And it wasn't mine. Check first before getting all excited.

TV

rwsaunders
02-18-2008, 04:45 PM
Save some $ and try PI's Barrier jacket for around $100.

CNY rider
02-18-2008, 06:04 PM
I own several Craft undergarments. Most of them I got from Sierra Trading post at discounted prices.

I am completely satisfied with all of them. Even though I've never had a jacket from them I have enough confidence in the brand to say it's definitely worth a try.

kipjac
02-18-2008, 06:30 PM
:banana: I recently purchased and wore my Exteondo Urki jacket and, though it's only been worn once, I found it to be very comfortable and warm when the temp was in the mid-40's. The only thing missing from the jacket is slash pockets; all the storage space is in the 3 rear pockets. The fit is snug but moveable and not too tight.

jemoryl
02-18-2008, 08:39 PM
Yeah, the Etxeondo winter stuff is nice, albeit expensive. Note that Sierra Trading Post has had some nice deals on this stuff from time to time. Fit tends to be snug.

Earlier this winter I picked up a Nalini Diso jacket made from their proprietary fabric 2Mantotex and it is great. Got it for $100, which is greatly reduced from the list price due to its being from the 2006 line. Good down to about freezing, which is as far as I have tried.

Mshue
02-18-2008, 10:14 PM
Sure, they're on sale, but do they actually have your size in the color you want? Was looking at their winter thermal jacket on sale and they had it in one color and one size. And it wasn't mine. Check first before getting all excited.

TV

I did forget to check the size (you know how it goes when you check a bunch of sites quickly...), but they happen to have a large, which based on the sizing info is supposed to fit. It sounds like Craft might be the way to go instead of Rapha. I think I'll spend the difference on a couple of base layers.

Thanks again everyone for your responses.

Mshue
02-18-2008, 10:28 PM
:banana: I recently purchased and wore my Exteondo Urki jacket and, though it's only been worn once, I found it to be very comfortable and warm when the temp was in the mid-40's. The only thing missing from the jacket is slash pockets; all the storage space is in the 3 rear pockets. The fit is snug but moveable and not too tight.

Looks like they're on sale at Colorado Cyclist with a variety of sizes. How does the fit compare to the sizing chart? The large seems small compared to others based on chest size, fwiw.

Blue Jays
02-18-2008, 10:44 PM
Pearl Izumi Barrier above is a great garment at a fair price. Remarkably effective.
Sole gripe is the smallish zippered rear pockets. Even that's OK when wearing a riding jersey underneath.

mgm777
02-18-2008, 10:58 PM
MSHUE - You know you're going there. It's inevitable...just get it over with. Be done with the pain, you know you want it. Get the Assos 851. Yes, it is expensive, but it works and fits fabulously well. By varying base layers I've used mine from the low teens to low 50s. Besides, Jorge Jr. will be be sending you a stimulus check in a couple of months. ;)

Kirk007
02-18-2008, 11:47 PM
I've got the regular weight Rapha softshell. Not sure how the lieghtweight differs. My Assos 851, and various windtex,goretex etc. jackets are getting very dusty. Pricey yeah, unless on sail and even then ... but great fit for me - slim but not clingy like the Assos (your body type/fit may differ obviously); great pockets. sleeves have nice thumb loop. Only complaint is as Swoop says, at least on last years model the pit zips are very small and can come off track, and its then a pain to get them rethreaded. The main zip isn't a problem for me even with thick polarfleece gloves.

I find myself wearing mine all the time between 55 and 30, just varying the base layers.

Greg

swoop
02-19-2008, 12:21 AM
also.. all jackets should zip from the bottom as well as the top. if there is no bottom up zip you have to undue the whole jacket to get to something in a jersey pocket underneath.

its also nice to keep the chest closed and the belly open to regulate body temp.
the rapha stuff doesn't do this. it drives me nuts.

Blue Jays
02-19-2008, 12:50 AM
/\/\ Excellent point by swoop about multi-directional zippers. I've got inexpensive Champion Systems stuff with higher-grade zippers than my better kit.
swoop is right, it should be a feature on EVERY modern cycling garment.

Kane
02-19-2008, 01:52 AM
If your arms are average length the Marmot brand has my favorite softshells. I prefer softshells with a membrain (goretex or windstopper). Goretex and windstopper are the same membrain, the difference is that goretex has taped seams for more water resistance.

The 'Ascend' is more water proof. It has laser cut seams that are heat welded together, ie. they are not sewn.

The 'Sharp Point' jacket is a little thicker and a little warmer. This would be my choice.

If you have long arms for your size, than you are better off with Arteryx jackets. They are more expensive, but generally revered. Make sure that you get the ones with a membrain, because the others are not warm enough in below 40 degree F, (under 4 degrees C).

Cheers,

Kane

Mshue
02-19-2008, 07:10 AM
MSHUE - You know you're going there. It's inevitable...just get it over with. Be done with the pain, you know you want it. Get the Assos 851. Yes, it is expensive, but it works and fits fabulously well. By varying base layers I've used mine from the low teens to low 50s. Besides, Jorge Jr. will be be sending you a stimulus check in a couple of months. ;)

You have somehow read my mind. I'm resisting, though, due to the price. On the other hand, I live in Wisconsin so this jacket will see lots of use...

Swoop et al., thanks for the comments on the Rapha. For the money, it ought to have the features you describe.

coylifut
02-19-2008, 07:42 AM
I have the 851 and it's a great fitting jacket with perhaps the best pockets in the business. I don't find it all that warm though. For temps in the 30s I have to wear a shell over it.

Erik.Lazdins
02-19-2008, 07:51 AM
If your arms are average length the Marmot brand has my favorite softshells. I prefer softshells with a membrain (goretex or windstopper). Goretex and windstopper are the same membrain, the difference is that goretex has taped seams for more water resistance.

The 'Ascend' is more water proof. It has laser cut seams that are heat welded together, ie. they are not sewn.

The 'Sharp Point' jacket is a little thicker and a little warmer. This would be my choice.

If you have long arms for your size, than you are better off with Arteryx jackets. They are more expensive, but generally revered. Make sure that you get the ones with a membrain, because the others are not warm enough in below 40 degree F, (under 4 degrees C).

Cheers,

Kane

I have one Marmot underlayer- I've got craft and others but the marmot is without a doubt the best of them.

fixednwinter
02-19-2008, 08:50 AM
I have both the Rapha Softshell (the standard, heavier version not the Lightweight) and the Assos 851.

Rapha - overall, price is high and I almost always buy their stuff when it's on sale or in bundles for savings. Otherwise, despite the high quality, I find it hard to justify the purchase.

I was out on the weekend in freezing rain at 3C, wearing a base layer, wool jersey and the Softshell. The fabric of the Softshell is excellent in rain, with the water beading off, yet it was breathable enough that I didn't feel like I was wearing a plastic bag.

The Assos 851 has a nice thermal property to it that the Softshell doesn't have. I can wear it down to freezing with just a thin wool baselayer and I'm good. Below freezing, however, it's not warm enough and I switch over to the old Assos Gator jacket (it's been replaced by their FuguJack).

For driving rain, I don't use the 851, as I find it soaks through too quickly on the back.

sailorboy
02-19-2008, 08:58 AM
also.. all jackets should zip from the bottom as well as the top. if there is no bottom up zip you have to undue the whole jacket to get to something in a jersey pocket underneath.

its also nice to keep the chest closed and the belly open to regulate body temp.
the rapha stuff doesn't do this. it drives me nuts.
wait a minute, what am I missing here? I thought you lived in Cali swoopmo, how is it you even need this stuff?.....maybe its time to consult your PCM about upping that dose of geritol

swoop
02-19-2008, 10:01 AM
wait a minute, what am I missing here? I thought you lived in Cali swoopmo, how is it you even need this stuff?.....maybe its time to consult your PCM about upping that dose of geritol

7am is often in the 40's ... with socal blood that's freaking cold.

davids
02-19-2008, 10:18 AM
Pearl Izumi Barrier above is a great garment at a fair price. Remarkably effective.
Sole gripe is the smallish zippered rear pockets. Even that's OK when wearing a riding jersey underneath.I have used the PI Kodiak Barrier jacket as my winter jacket for years, with other stuff layered underneath as the temperature drops lower and lower. After 6 years, the zipper is beginning to act up.

Highly recommended.

fixednwinter
02-19-2008, 11:31 AM
7am is often in the 40's ... with socal blood that's freaking cold.

I think it's been since before Christmas since I saw temperatures that warm in Canada! Love that California weather :)

palincss
02-19-2008, 11:48 AM
I'm looking for a jacket that's good down to the 30s, assuming suitable layering. My current jacket, a Louis Garneau, is OK, but doesn't block the wind very well. This means that an hour into a ride when temps are in the 30s, I get chilled as the wind cuts through the jacket to the damp layers underneath.

It appears that Rapha has its Lightweight Softshell on sale for $220 (gets me a little bit of water resistance and decent wind stopping) and Craft's Windstopper Termal is on sale for ~$130 at World Cycling Productions. Anyone have any advice? Am I comparing apples to oranges?

Thanks for your thoughts.

I just bought (on clearance, for around $35) a Pearl Izumi Optik like this one
http://www.altrec.com/shop/detail/26307/ only red. It's extremely light, claims to be breathable, and is intended to be wind resistant.

Not quite what you'd think of as a "cold weather jacket" -- but when it's on top of a very light weight long sleeve wool T, a light weight long sleeve Canari "sportwool" jersey and a wool New Belgium cycling jersey like this http://tinyurl.com/nbpol it's plenty comfortable at 30 degrees with a stiff wind. I had that combination on this morning at around 36 degrees, and had to take the jacket off at mile 4 and switch to a lightweight wind vest instead.

I'm not sure quite what you had in mind as "suitable layering" but I've been using the base layers I just described all winter long. Not that we've gotten seriously cold weather here in the metro DC area, but it's worked well, and I haven't had that "get wet underneath, then get chilled" feeling with this combination at all.

Too Tall
02-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Hi my name is Too Tall and I just got a Rapha Softshell. The pockets are yummy, the fabric is yummy, the cool zipper closes to the side...it yummy, the color is yummy, function is ahhhh yummy....but the price of admission fawk.

Swoop, regards that zipper....so I take it you don't have a valet?

Mshue
02-20-2008, 08:41 AM
Thanks for all of the great suggestions, folks. I ended up ordering an Exte Ondo Empro from Colorado Cyclist. After further investigation, I'm not sure any of the Craft sizes that WCP actually stocks would fit me and the Rapha probably isn't what I'm really looking for.

Palincs, I actually have a New Belgium wool jersey that I bought a year ago, but I've never actually worn it for riding (thought it looked too nice). Now that the "newness" has worn off I think I'll start using it for its intended purpose. $59 for a new merino wool jersey is a pretty sweet deal, btw.

ClutchCargo
02-20-2008, 08:50 AM
I have one Marmot underlayer- I've got craft and others but the marmot is without a doubt the best of them.

one point about Marmot -- I have used and enjoyed their garments for skiing and other winter sports and they make great stuff. but they do not - as far as I'm aware - make bike specific clothing. and if you're going to wear your jacket on the bike you will appreciate something that's made for wear on the bike. I would stick with etxe ondo, castelli, nalini etc. my 2 cents.

Ride on (warmly)!