PDA

View Full Version : Sapim CX-Ray alternatives??

jhcakilmer
02-18-2008, 01:17 PM
I'm looking to rebuild my DT Swiss 1450 wheels, and wondering if there is an alternative to the CX-Rays, or Aerolites. I've never tried the Wheelsmith AE14s, but are they considered comparable?

What other options do you recommend? I've just thought about lacing up with standard db, but I have had really good luck with the cx-rays. But really wondering about your thoughts on comparing those bladed options.
Thanks

Spicoli
02-18-2008, 01:39 PM
I am a big fan of Wheelsmith spokes but never had much luck with the AE14's or 15's for that matter. Just my experience but broke them pretty often. All other Wheelsmith spokes would be my first choice over other brands but, just not the AE's.

weiwentg
02-18-2008, 01:45 PM
it's the Wheelsmith XE14. they also make an AE15. the former is a 14/16g spoke that has been flattened. the latter is a 15/16g. the XE14 is, or was, most comparable to the Aerolite or the CXray. it was slightly wider in the bladed section (i.e. very slightly less aero).

I'm not sure if the Wheelsmith spokes are still being made. Mike Garcia's site, before it was redone, said that the XE14 and AE15 had been discontinued. the XE14s had been getting more expensive, but were still cheaper than CXrays. Mike built me a pair of wheels with these, and I was satisfied.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:utdsRn82UT8J:oddsandendos.safeshopp er.com/20/110.htm%3F473+wheelsmith+spokes+xe14&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us&client=firefox-a

then again, Wheelsmith's site has no word. I haven't tried calling them. or Mike.

http://wheelsmithcycling.com/index_files/wsspokes.htm

musgravecycles
02-18-2008, 03:13 PM
Kilmer, yer a big boy bro...

You'd probably be better off with a traditional round spoke which will yield a more laterally ridged wheel (and save you some coin). If you must have something exotic look into the DT Super Comps which will be both lighter and have a stronger spoke/nipple interface than a 2.0-1.8 with alloy nipples...

jhcakilmer
02-18-2008, 06:59 PM
Kilmer, yer a big boy bro...

You'd probably be better off with a traditional round spoke which will yield a more laterally ridged wheel (and save you some coin). If you must have something exotic look into the DT Super Comps which will be both lighter and have a stronger spoke/nipple interface than a 2.0-1.8 with alloy nipples...

I hear you about the price. I'm not really worried about looking exotic, but I have been very impressed with both the cx-rays, and aerolites. These DT 1450s have 28 f/r, and they have been rock solid, and all my past experience has been very favorable. I'm a big believer in these spokes, but will probably end of going with standard db round spokes, since $3/spoke is not really fiscally responsible on a students budget.

Also, I don't really see the point of the supercomps, they not lighter, or overall stronger than the aerolites/cx-rays. They're not even that much lighter that a db spoke. Supposedly they're easier to build, but I don't think I'll have to worry about that.

Hey if you like them, they must be good and I trust your opinion, but on paper I don't see what niche they fill??

musgravecycles
02-18-2008, 07:33 PM
Super Comps aren't meant to be compared with a bladed spoke bro. They are a round spoke and are:

1: Lighter than a standard 2.0-1.8

2: Have a stronger spoke/nipple interface than the 2.0-1.8 on account of the more substantial nipple wall thickness.

3: Spoke is stronger than a 1.8-1.6 spoke

atmo the Super Comp is the best round spoke on the market for alloy nipples if you can get past the black only option. Joe Young is the one who put me onto these and his opinion I'll defer to most every time.

Oh, and I wasn't poo-pooing the cx-rays, they are wonderful spokes. But you're a 'big' dude and need a laterally rigid wheel more than you need aero spokes thats all...