PDA

View Full Version : Reviews of the molded Shimano shoes?

caleb
02-18-2008, 12:00 AM
I need a new set of shoes for this season, and have narrowed it down to the Shimanos or Sidi 6.6s or Ergo 2s.

The problem with the Shimanos is that you have to commit to buying them before you really see what the final product will be like on your foot.

Before I jump into something I might regret, does anyone have any experience to share?

Buzz
02-18-2008, 01:57 AM
I got 'em. I went from a Sidi Mega to them. Expensive. The molding process actually works. Recommended.

bocarider
02-18-2008, 08:47 AM
I have had them for about 10 months and really like them. I have used Sidis and carbon soled Nikes (Poggios & the Lance shoe) previously and definitely like the Shimano best of the shoes I have tried so far.

If you are not used to a superstiff carbon sole, then you may experience a little adjustment time as there is no give at all in the sole. The molding process definitely adds to comfort and fit. They are pretty snug, so make sure that your feet at "warmed up" or "swelled up" (as the case may be) before you do the heat & mold thing and be sure to use your regular sock in the fitting process. When I tried to use a heavier sock in colder weather, it was really uncomfortable.

Speaking of colder weather (which is not much of issue here in Florida, but can be on occasion), these shoes are increadibly well vented, so be prepared to get some good shoe covers if you are wearing them where it gets cold or you feet will freeze.

After a lot of use over the 10 months I have had them, they seem pretty durable.

bzbvh5
02-18-2008, 08:59 AM
If you are not used to a superstiff carbon sole, then you may experience a little adjustment time as there is no give at all in the sole. The molding process definitely adds to comfort and fit. They are pretty snug, so make sure that your feet at "warmed up" or "swelled up" (as the case may be) before you do the heat & mold thing and be sure to use your regular sock in the fitting process. When I tried to use a heavier sock in colder weather, it was really uncomfortable.

I remember 25 years ago, some companies did the same thing with snow ski boots. My freind bought some in the city, they were so tight to the point of pain after 2 ski runs that he had to pay the ski shop at the slopes to remold the boots. My advice is: tell you local LBS you want to buy the shoes and make sure they have your size. Then go ride 20 miles with your old shoes, walk into the shop, put on a fresh pair of socks and get them molded asap after the ride. The LBS may tell you to jog up and down the shopping center a couple of times and that should be enough to accommodate for any foot swelling, it is not enough.

pdxmech13
02-18-2008, 09:27 AM
I have always used sidi's and wanted to try something new. Shimano was offerring a super employee deal so I jumped on a pair. I had them molded and waited the recommended 24hrs before using them. The fit reminds me of a ski boot in its upper is very stiff and secure. The sole is one of the stiffest and unflexible I have ever ridden. A little to stiff on roads with lots of chip seal. All in all I like just a little wiggle for my feet (especially in the winter) so I have gone back to my sidi's. Some of the folks at shimano recommended having the shoe molded twice after it has been used a little !